Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Cheap freon

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cheap freon

Big Lots has 134a on sale for $6.50 a can. Stock up! (I bought 10 )

Old 04-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Real Rover's didn't come with AC

Old 04-28-2014, 06:59 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question
Is that freon R12?

Freon (R12) is a restricted product to sell to the public without a license.
NOW
If you are referring to R134a! Is it a counterfeit product or a pure refrigerant?
Look for a hologram sticker on the can to signify purity. If it has a sticker then the price is cheap!

If there is none beware of "stuff" in the can being a mix of R134a and R40 a known corrosive agent for alum A/C components.

You see in 2008 the Chinese put the "squeezers" on the world but mostly the USA over rare earths; the main mineral used for manufacture of refrigerants. The Chinese have about 90% of world supply.
As a result the price went up significantly and a lot of Chinese/Pakistani suppliers have produced a diluted product containing shall we say not the "real thing".
Ask yourself why is it cheap?

I would have a can tested for "other agents" before pumping such questionable refrigerants into my expensive A/C system, besides I like it to work as it should!
Buyer beware !
T/V

Old 04-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tuercas viejas
Question
Is that freon R12?
No. It's 134a

Is it a counterfeit product or a pure refrigerant?
Looks real to me.....

Attached Thumbnails Cheap freon-20140428_092415.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Question
Is that freon R12?

Freon (R12) is a restricted product to sell to the public without a license.
NOW
If you are referring to R134a! Is it a counterfeit product or a pure refrigerant?
Look for a hologram sticker on the can to signify purity. If it has a sticker then the price is cheap!

If there is none beware of "stuff" in the can being a mix of R134a and R40 a known corrosive agent for alum A/C components.

You see in 2008 the Chinese put the "squeezers" on the world but mostly the USA over rare earths; the main mineral used for manufacture of refrigerants. The Chinese have about 90% of world supply.
As a result the price went up significantly and a lot of Chinese/Pakistani suppliers have produced a diluted product containing shall we say not the "real thing".
Ask yourself why is it cheap?

I would have a can tested for "other agents" before pumping such questionable refrigerants into my expensive A/C system, besides I like it to work as it should!
Buyer beware !
T/V

Do you own a tin foil hat?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Mudding

No foil cap sorry
but I wear a cap which says don't be fooled by advertising and deals. If it sounds to good to be true for a quality product its probably not!

Remember you only get what you pay for and introducing a possible counterfeit R134a into an expensive A/C system is asking for trouble.
Ten cuidado
T/V

Old 04-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

That's only about a $1.00 cheaper than usual in my neck of the woods so I wouldn't be to worried about it.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

conspiracy theorist everywhere

Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Mudding

Let me ask you all a question.
If you see a can of cheap engine oil on the shelf do you immediately buy a job lot and do an oil change?
Never asking who blended it, what viscosity it is, or whether it will work in your engine.

I bet NOT so why would you pump an unknown refrigerant into an A/C system without checking what is in the can or where it came from? Just because it has R134a on the can means nothing!

Again just because it has R134a on the outside doesn't mean it doesn't have impurities in it. Or a mix of other refrigerants in smaller quantities
OR worse a mix of like R40 which is very corrosive with alum parts.

Then you see on the can "WITH OIL" --ask your self WHAT OIL?
There are a number of different refrigerant oils in the world market place not all of these oils are compatible with the oil in your A/C system. So the end result of mixing non compatible oil; the thing sludges up inside and you get what is called black death by some in the trade. The compressor heaves it sigh! The receiver drier gets plugged so solid it won't pass anything in some cases.
Finally we have with some WITH SEALANT--Ask yourselves what does that stuff do to your compressor and when mixed with the oil and the possible non compatibility of the mixed oils you have just created as a cocktail and you then hope it will all work?
At best you have just reduced your system life by 50%.
Now the kicker.
So in the end on hot summer day with something drastically wrong and the thing not cooling properly, plus the missus or significant other in the passenger seat you relent and drop into a mobile A/C professional shop .
Do you fess up and disclose to the shop tech that you have been pumping some unknown crap into the system and that's why you are really here?
I bet in 99% of all cases it will be a dumb look on your face with a comment like I have never touched it!
But
The truth will out because no A/C tech with his salt will connect your car up to a recovery machine without an analysis of what is in the system. Equally would you want some mixed up crap pumped into your car at a service with someone else's recovered /recycled crap refrigerant!
In any case pumping crap through a $6500 recovery machine will get rejected by the analyzer in the machine and reject it. Then the end cost to fix your car has just risen by about 500% ! Khaching Khaching $$$$$

Finally I have to ask how many of you have A/C in your house or office?
When it malfunctions do you immediately stock up with the refrigerant for that unit(s) from your local A/C supply shop and pump in some when it fails to cool?
If not why not?
They both basically work the same?
No conspiracy there or is there?
T/V.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Engine oil, yes I do buy the cheap stuff. Matter of fact I just bought 3 cases of Quaker State dino oil since it was on sale for $1.59 a quart and 2 cases of Quaker State Synthetic for $2.49 a quart.

I've been using the on sale R134 for years in multiple cars with no issues.

You seem to have a lot of just suppose in your argument. Do you have any hard data on R134 cans not being filled with R134, or low quality R134?

Quick Reply: Cheap freon