Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Discovery II Brush and Bull Bars: what do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the big cow catcher design like the old locomotives had.

Make one like a tow truck uses., Mount it on stiff springs/shocks. Like a Mad Max creation.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Fair enough. I just wish they made a legit stronger A-frame push bar for the Disco that was more than just looks. I may do some research on police cruiser parts websites to see if any of those rugged police push bars are compatible with my Disco.......

Did I ever mention that having a push/brush bar is a "necessity" for me, because of my height? And that using the bar as a step ladder is the only quick way for me to access the engine bay and perform under the bonnet work? Haha I'm 5"2 so having a brush bar is a major bonus
Have you gotten your Disco Yet?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 AM
BMW
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the one mounted on the silver D2 in the last picture of the original post. It is actually pretty strong metel. I would imagine if I hit a deer it would save my front end but probably bend it up pretty bad. It bolts directly to the frame in place of the front tow hook and has a built in tow hook on it instead. They run $800-$900 new if ordered online I think, I picked mine up used and rusty for around $100 IIRC and then resprayed it with rustoleom truck bed liner, alone with my fender flares

Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
Don't ask me, I didn't build it. All I know is I moved one from the trailer to the table to be raffled off at SCARR and when I grab it I was shocked to find that it is squeezey foam.

I'll stick with what I've got.
Are those the Hella 4000? Do you like those? I'm thinking about picking up a pair for my D2. They look great!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Overlanding

Does anyone have anywhere they know of to actually get a good winch/ARB/Terra Firma style steel front bumper for a good price? I have searched a long time and other than a few to good to be true ones that I found, everything seems to be in the thousand dollar price range...

Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Lucky8 LLC

I picked up the terrafirma taper blade winch bumper for my defender for $450ish brand spankin new.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazon.com has decent deals. They have a lot of Warn winches for sale, at and sometimes cheaper than 4WheelParts (the site, and the store, however that may be different for on the mainland), with really quick/cheap shipping. However, I don't think Amazon.com is an authorized Warn dealer, so if you have any issues, you are kind of SOL.

Lucky8 is about 100 bucks cheaper for the same ARB winch bumper, but when I called about shipping, it was more expensive to get all the things I wanted from them compared to Atlanta British, even with the bumper being cheaper.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:24 PM
4th Gear
Default A Bar question

TRIAR11, is the bumper in the first pic the A Bar? That's exactly what I have. I'm over in Rochester. I just pick it up and am busy knocking out the known issues. My A-Bar has some rust on it and the lights don't work. There's no "click" when you push the switch. Anyway, can I get parts for that bar at the dealer or where is the best place to look. Thank You in advance.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:29 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcass08
TRIAR11, is the bumper in the first pic the A Bar? That's exactly what I have. I'm over in Rochester. I just pick it up and am busy knocking out the known issues. My A-Bar has some rust on it and the lights don't work. There's no "click" when you push the switch. Anyway, can I get parts for that bar at the dealer or where is the best place to look. Thank You in advance.

Yes the very first picture is actually of my truck as it was before I purchased it back in late 2012. It is the a-frame brush bar but without the wraparound sections. I love how it looks but the low quality of it, prone to rust and the lack of headlight protection and lack of room to mount a winch make it less than useful. The ARB bumpers are alright but a bit to bulky and the edges are not rounded enough for my liking. Plus Ive been told by countless others that they are not all THAT GREAT in the grand scheme of things. RTE Fab for one makes some top notch bumpers plus they do any custom jobs you can think of. They make a beautiful rear bumper thats got rounded edges, is not bulky and it looks super clean. Comes with a good sandblasting and you can add recovery points to it. http://www.rte-fab.com/products?page...category_id=43
One day I plan on getting it but first i need them to make me a custom HD front bumper that meets my needs.

Point taken about the rubber nerf material, never thought about its ability to absorb impact better. Still I prefer full on metal.

You live in Rochester? Like in New Hampshire? If so we are neighbors for the moment!

Last edited by TRIARII; 04-10-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:30 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Have you gotten your Disco Yet?

Hey Danny long time man. But hell where have you been? Ive had my current D2 since late 2012! lol. Hows your D1 doing these days?

Quick Reply: Discovery II Brush and Bull Bars: what do you prefer?