Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

The End ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-28-2011, 02:45 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a lot of rumors going around about the future of LR, this one seems the most believable.

It's a terrible thing that it's actually on the table, but all things considered, it only makes sense for LR, a $50K+ vehicle with terrible gas mileage, and hardly any refinements doesn't sell in the US.

But seeing the success of the Jeep Wrangler overall, and even lately after the update, I don't understand why LR wouldn't want to try and capitalize with a utilitarian off-roader like the Defender. If they could figure out a redesign with air bags without changing the overall vehicle, drop the price to be competitive with Jeep they would sell like hot cakes!

But like the article says, they don't want to water down the bloodline with a crap redesign, and I think I agree given the choices presented.

BEST LINE IN THAT ARTICLE : "Brand purists and off-road freaks are likely reaching for their blood pressure medication as we speak" - Ain't that the truth...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a very sad end to an icon but all good things end eventually. Outside of the Wrangler the word Jeep doesn't mean much any more either in the off road world. The XJ died and the Grand Cherokee bears little resemblance to it's original self. If Jeep didn't sell a lot of Wranglers in the U.S. then they would not be making it except as a bastardized version sporting the iconic name of wrangler on some urban paved road concept. Look at all the former low range geared SUV's that are now cross overs only. I suspect the iconic Defender is going to die unless they can re-engineer it and manufacture it in India/China and sell it in the U.S. and the world at 1/2 to 2/3's the price it now goes for so people can afford to buy it as a potential valid off road alternative to the Wrangler and certain Toyotas/Nissans.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:47 PM
TReK

A little thread revival with some ACTUAL info.

New Engine, Options for 2012 Defender

Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish they would of put the Euro VI in it instead of the V. Then we could have it in the US. I agree that they need to cut the price by 1/4 to 2/3 of what the current price is and then maybe more people all over the world could buy them.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't belive that

Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I fully expect them to eventually so bastardize the Defender that no one will buy it, then they can stop production with the accurate claim that it's loosing money because no one will buy it.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by antichrist
I fully expect them to eventually so bastardize the Defender that no one will buy it, then they can stop production with the accurate claim that it's loosing money because no one will buy it.
I agree, that seems to be happening to everything good in this world

It amazes me that in 9 out of 10 pictures of foreign aid organizations in a third world country bringing food or medicine to an indigenous population, there is a Defender (or other beefy 4x4) in the background as the vehicle of choice to get to these remote areas, and the same people that advocate for this kind of foreign aid are the same people demonizing these very trucks for their emissions....

....yet another reason liberalism DOESN'T MAKES SENSE.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:06 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Rover lost the world to the likes of Toyota and Nissan. Even in places like Australia sales of the Japanese imports overwhelm those of Land Rover. Defenders were and still are, in large part hand built so there is no economy in their production. It was a similar problem with the Range Rover Classic. Ultimately, they priced themselves out of the very markets that established them after WWII.

It's sad but there is little room in the world for a vehicle the likes of a Defender. Any future example is likely to be a faint shadow of the real deal. For it to be profitable for Rover, I think the next Defender will be a far cry from anything we enthusiasts are looking for.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:27 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually the execs are using this statement as a judgement call by the populace at large to see if the defender should go away or not. They said they were going to close Solihull and look what happened. The people cried fowl, the govt gave them extra money and they got what they wanted. Its possible they want to judge whether or not people want to continue to buy the defender. If they don't they will move it to china or india for export outside the Uk and European union. They can make more money off it it without all the safety features in other countries. If the people want the defender they will build the new one and keep the old one in india.

Quick Reply: The End ??