Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

The future

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:51 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Why can't those very BOTS be us? More and more of us are having silicone based technology implanted within us to enhance our performance in some way. It's only a matter of time, and this is part of what the Singularity notion address, before we become indistinguishable from the robots and they, from us. It's kind of like what Philip K. Dick was intimating in "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Another quick idea to think about. A lot of people envision a world along the lines of Orwell and "1984" especially with all the revelations of spying we're learned about in the last year or so. It's a world of tyranny where the people are constantly under the scrutiny of Big Brother. Certainly, in conjunction with the rise in income disparity, loss of jobs, spying, ect., ect., it would seem Orwell was not wide of the mark.

However, I like to think in a slightly different way about what great authors has to say about the future. I prefer to cite Aldous Huxley and "A Brave New World" as being even more spot on in his view of what's to come. We have become a culture fixated on the new, on the gadget (especially on the eve of the unveiling of the new iPhone 6), alienated from anything that is natural or real. And we've done so, happily, giddly. I offer up "A Brave New World" as a more likely template for the future (in a broad sense, of course).

Old 09-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Why can't those very BOTS be us? More and more of us are having silicone based technology implanted within us to enhance our performance in some way. It's only a matter of time, and this is part of what the Singularity notion address, before we become indistinguishable from the robots and they, from us. It's kind of like what Philip K. Dick was intimating in "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Another quick idea to think about. A lot of people envision a world along the lines of Orwell and "1984" especially with all the revelations of spying we're learned about in the last year or so. It's a world of tyranny where the people are constantly under the scrutiny of Big Brother. Certainly, in conjunction with the rise in income disparity, loss of jobs, spying, ect., ect., it would seem Orwell was not wide of the mark.

However, I like to think in a slightly different way about what great authors has to say about the future. I prefer to cite Aldous Huxley and "A Brave New World" as being even more spot on in his view of what's to come. We have become a culture fixated on the new, on the gadget (especially on the eve of the unveiling of the new iPhone 6), alienated from anything that is natural or real. And we've done so, happily, giddly. I offer up "A Brave New World" as a more likely template for the future (in a broad sense, of course).
I think there is instrinsic problems with humans becoming automatons. They are unpredictable and tire easily, they require medical care, feeding and housing and most of all they require entertaining and stimulating. More than just the physical limitations they suffer in many cases from a lack of mental flexibility and the inability to think laterally. Therefore unless the humans become totally automaton in every respect they will inevitably fail at some stage sooner rather than later.

The vision of HG Wells was very near the mark of truth in his '1984' and Aldous Huxley even closer with Brave New World but acceptance of these 'ideas' is beyond the comprehension of many who will remain entreched in the past and incapable of accepting change, how many times have we heard "that's the way we've always done it". A lot was and has been talked about 'change' in the workplace for many years but they are hollow 'buzz' words invented by HR departments and outsourced training companies. Many wouldn't recognise what 'change' actually means in reality as they believe change to be modifying old practices not throwing out the old and outmoded practices and ideas and bringing in radical new ideas. The establishment are unable to handle or come to terms with 'change' in the broadest sense and indeed lack the necessary vision for that concept. The worst proponents of vision and the concept of fundamental change is the world's governments, CEO's and educationalists where they are too frightened to make radical changes and prefer to tamper around the edges of the old and established ideas generally due to many being of the 'old guard' mentality who rose to the top based upon seniority from longevity or tenure. When one speaks to educationalists one has the feeling they are being condescending and the 'we know best' attitude prevails but they rarely have original thoughts and ideas other than to trundle out the same old garbage which is very often politically ready loaded by the inadequate state hierachy who have themselves outdated pre-conceived ideas hence the ever falling standards in basic education. Until we can change the mindsets of the masses be they rank and file or intellectuals we will never keep pace with the expanding technologies and many will become totally redundant well before their due time to retire. We need to change fundamental education from early on in schools and step away from the wooly fantasies and concentrate on the future realities and until then we are doomed to failure with an ever depleting useable workforce.

Hell don't I ramble on with a load of cr@p and know how to bore the *** off people

Old 09-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Baja

Never win, hmmm, winning is a state of mind which isn't exclusive to sports and motor racing it's an everyday goal and target as is arising every morning and achieving what's in ones head. It's all about 'thinking outside the box'. Lack of physical and mental agility is in my mind an excuse for lack of a 'can do' attitude and more the 'I can't be bothered' or 'mañana, mañana'. You're a long time dead so make the most of living. Shame is when approaching 70 one will never live to see the predictions or forecasts they make when departing into oblivion. What is there apart from science? nothing, it reveals everything we will ever need to know in our mortal existence.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
What is there apart from science? nothing, it reveals everything we will ever need to know in our mortal existence.
Ok, I have to comment on this Offroad. I think this type of statement is also living 'inside the box' because neither side really knows what absolute truth is. As much as I will not force my beliefs on you, an atheist shouldn't impose his or her beliefs onto me. It's dual sided and making a statement such as this one is, in essence, calling the kettle black. I agree to disagree with you but it doesn't mean that I respect your decision any less. You may be right, you may be wrong but what I believe is my choice. And what you believe is your choice.

I live by the creed of 'if I cannot disprove it, then I will not rule it out'.

I agree to respectively disagree.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Ok, I have to comment on this Offroad. I think this type of statement is also living 'inside the box' because neither side really knows what absolute truth is. As much as I will not force my beliefs on you, an atheist shouldn't impose his or her beliefs onto me. It's dual sided and making a statement such as this one is, in essence, calling the kettle black. I agree to disagree with you but it doesn't mean that I respect your decision any less. You may be right, you may be wrong but what I believe is my choice. And what you believe is your choice.

I live by the creed of 'if I cannot disprove it, then I will not rule it out'.

I agree to respectively disagree.
Whoooosh, like a bolt from the blue KD, a NASA special. It was a statement designed to be inflamatory although I actually believe in it.

I would never force my atheistic beliefs on anyone but I have entered into discussion with people on this subject, which normally I avoid, so I state my position avidly and forcefully. Yep, I'm very open minded and will consider anything of substance presented to me provided it has sufficient evidence to be cogent and verifiable. I sincerely believe everything in this universe is derived from science which holds everything we need to know but the issue is finding the data. I have the utmost respect for others beliefs, I may not agree with them particularly about religion or spirituality but I respect they may have good reasons for what they believe albeit unverifiable scientifically, bit like ghosts and souls. I believe we differ on the religion and spirituality issues and there cannot be any meeting of minds there but one can never agree on everything as Dave Allen the comedian used to say "may your god go with you whoever they are"

Old 09-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

..yes, I will rise to the bait if I feel strongly enough over something..

As far as ghosts or spirits are concerned, nope, haven't seen any... And if I did? Well I'd most likely go running in the opposite direction, screaming my fool head off

Have a good night,

KD.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
..yes, I will rise to the bait if I feel strongly enough over something..

As far as ghosts or spirits are concerned, nope, haven't seen any... And if I did? Well I'd most likely go running in the opposite direction, screaming my fool head off

Have a good night,

KD.
Don't take what you read too seriously, I'm also a great wind up joker.

One of the greatest films and acting IMO.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Don't take what you read too seriously, I'm also a great wind up joker.

One of the greatest films and acting IMO.

I see dead people quote from The Sixth Sense - YouTube

That's ok.. I only hear 'em

Old 09-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Dude, it's really best if you just keep your beliefs to yourself and others who feel similarly. You are really offering nothing, in a cogent way, to to this discussion of the future, spirituality, religion or anything, for that matter.

"Look up.... at the top. At the Most High. That's where Good is"

Up, up and away, in my beautiful, my beautiful, balloon.

Oh BTW Paul.... a customer of yours just gave you a glowing review. Check out the 'Hola Amigos - that's all the Spanish I know' thread.

Quick Reply: The future