Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Have any of you actually read the RAVE in its entirety?... seriously? Taking a poll.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Have any of you actually read the RAVE in its entirety?... seriously? Taking a poll.

So I’m taking a poll… how many of you have seriously read the entire RAVE workshop/service manual? The DII manual alone is over 1500 pages of 'pure mechanical bliss’. In an effort to learn more about my Rover I thought I’d brush up on the manual, parts and terminology. I have to say that after starting to read it I’d rather watch paint dry for days or give myself acupuncture. It’s enough to make me want to pack it all in and sell it and I like/love/am ’infatuated’ with my Rover.

I really don’t want to read about mineral oil and how it can ‘remove the natural fats from the skin’ (perhaps I should lather it all over my body instead of following a healthy eating lifestyle) or how it can lead to dermatitis and irritation. After reading the maintenance section I STILL don’t know what ‘anti-roll bar links’ are or where they are located and that is after studying the schematic. Why does the RAVE state to disconnect the battery when changing the oil filter (?!), the engine management section is just plain overwhelming but necessary I know; the cooling section captured my interest and seems fairly useful as are the codes that are posted throughout the RAVE. The transfer case/box tutorials are helpful but seeing as my CDL is never engaged or used it really doesn’t matter…. does it?

I often read comments from guys on this forum about your wives and how they’re referred to as ‘SWMBO’ because your Rover time doesn’t fit in with ‘her plans’. I am a woman with a Rover and a husband who has no interest in it whatsoever. He often refers to it as a POS and says that ‘British engineering is crap – everyone knows that’ and he’s British. I would be ECSTATIC if he took charge, and at a minimum, took one half hour from time to time to take care of ‘our’ Rover and pay some attention to it but it’s not going to happen. I’ve even suggested ‘Rover counseling’ and that we both read the RAVE together J (God knows I love him). Anyway, all I’m saying is that it goes both ways. I would so appreciate him working on the truck, getting things done but instead I sit here reading the manual trying to figure out what makes my Rover tick so I can get us out of the next ‘latest mess.’ It’s disheartening and leaves me feeling empty at times but I keep on chugging on….

Sometimes I wish that I had never bought this truck and then other times I am glad that I have. Life is all about choices – just trying to figure out what this choice has led me to. So having said all that, I salute those of you that have actually read the RAVE in its entirety and can apply it to your trucks. Lord knows that I’m trying…

And I’m only on page 732…. Almost half way there.

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 01-26-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

[QUOTE=KernowDiscovery;442583]So I’m taking a poll… how many of you have seriously read the entire RAVE workshop/service manual?.........................

KD, heck, that is so sad I've read bits of it when things go wrong but never the whole D2 Manual for 'bedtime' reading though.

I once had a motor racing 'pal' (I use that term very loosely, he still owes me money) who used to read and reread Autosport in bed most nights, what a self opinionated saddo he was No wonder his wife was making out with other guys though.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

that's an interesting take on my post France I wondered if you'd take the poll - lol.. at least you were 'brave' enough to do so. Surprised that there are no other takers..

Yeah, I really don't recommend having an 'emotional affair' with your Rover or Autosport magazine. It's too taxing on the brain.

I'm mopey today - I'll get over it. I needed to rant. I think the snow is getting to me along with lack of sunshine. I'm SO over winter!

Attached Thumbnails Have any of you actually read the RAVE in its entirety?... seriously? Taking a poll.-winter.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

i like to open the pictures on projects i am working on. torque specs i do reference. never actually read one single thing, in there, unless i have to. kind of like furniture, toys instructions....I look at the picture on the box, that is usually good enough.
i do leave the disk n the rover, incase she needs to self diagnose and wants to fix herself up, for me.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Look at the pictures? I just get it for the articles!

I have read many sections of RAVE in their entirety for both the P38 Range Rover I owned previously and for my current D2, but only for particular systems that are acting up (like the brakes). That's as far as I'll go. I wouldn't read the whole thing as it's too much information to absorb and I find it somewhat disturbing that someone would try.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Look at the pictures? I just get it for the articles!

I find it somewhat disturbing that someone would try.
hehe.. I never admitted to being a 'sane' individual

Old 01-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
i do leave the disk n the rover, incase she needs to self diagnose and wants to fix herself up, for me.
Nice.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

NO. I have not me read the complete RAVE manual. I do have it on my PC, on my tablet, my laptop, and my smartphone. I also do provide printed portions to techs/shops that I have do work sometimes, when weather does not allow me to do what I want or I think it may be something a little over my head or requiring more time than I have or want to put into it, or space to leave parts laying around. Sometimes appreciated, sometimes not!

Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
The transfer case/box tutorials are helpful but seeing as my CDL is never engaged or used it really doesn’t matter…. does it?
Actually it does, in a way. Now you know how it works, you should engage CDL hi and low range at least once a month. If you never do it in all likelihood there will come a day when you need it and it's rusted solid.
Find a dirt or gravel road, or a field, and use it a bit.
HWMBO will really call it a POS if you're out together in the Disco, need the center diff locked and you can't use it.
Also if I remember correctly from living in WI, it does snow a fair bit in MI. On completely snow covered roads it's better for your CDL to be locked. Just don't forget to unlock it when you get to clear pavement.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by antichrist
Actually it does, in a way. Now you know how it works, you should engage CDL hi and low range at least once a month. If you never do it in all likelihood there will come a day when you need it and it's rusted solid.
Find a dirt or gravel road, or a field, and use it a bit.
HWMBO will really call it a POS if you're out together in the Disco, need the center diff locked and you can't use it.
Also if I remember correctly from living in WI, it does snow a fair bit in MI. On completely snow covered roads it's better for your CDL to be locked. Just don't forget to unlock it when you get to clear pavement.
Yes, I suppose you're right Tom.. I always learn best by example so I probably should test it out. Just 'skeered' to do it on my own.. I'm a big baby Probably not the best attitude to have when owning a Rover, is it?

Quick Reply: Have any of you actually read the RAVE in its entirety?... seriously? Taking a poll.