Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Help: looking for St. George's Cross English flag for fender (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/help-looking-st-georges-cross-english-flag-fender-70075/)

TRIARII 11-01-2014 03:06 PM

Help: looking for St. George's Cross English flag for fender

I want to put those English Flag stickers on both my front fenders on my Disco 2. Not the Union Jack, but the St. George's Cross English flag. I want it to be the same size as the flag stickers used on the fenders of the Camel Trophy vehicles. I need something that wont peel off either.

OffroadFrance 11-01-2014 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by TRIARII (Post 488969)
I want to put those English Flag stickers on both my front fenders on my Disco 2. Not the Union Jack, but the St. George's Cross English flag. I want it to be the same size as the flag stickers used on the fenders of the Camel Trophy vehicles. I need something that wont peel off either.

It's like a lot of girlies TRIARRII, unless you know them well or they are covered in 'tramp stamp's' (tattoos) they won't peel off for you ;):)

https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid...mper%20sticker

Robert Booth 11-01-2014 05:21 PM

When I did mine, I got the stickers from amazon, then picked up some clear 3m vinyl product designed to prevent scuffing and dings, cut it to be a little larger than my flag stickers and promptly stopped worrying about it.

I still think you should get the usa flag unless you happen to be English.

TRIARII 11-01-2014 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Booth (Post 488983)
When I did mine, I got the stickers from amazon, then picked up some clear 3m vinyl product designed to prevent scuffing and dings, cut it to be a little larger than my flag stickers and promptly stopped worrying about it.

I still think you should get the usa flag unless you happen to be English.

You do realize these are English vehicles right? If you want to show your pride then drive a Ford Chevy or Jeep. I'm proud of the soldiers who fight but I'm not proud of the country and what is has done. I'm American so I have the freedom to fly a English flag on my English truck and I have the freedom to install English flag stickers on my truck.

Thanks for the tip on the 3m, that will probably be a great solution.

Robert Booth 11-01-2014 10:18 PM

Actually it's rather insulting that you'd call it an English truck. It's not. Look it up, my country of birth is called the United Kingdom. It was formed after the Union of the Crowns when King James 6th of Scotland became the King of England after the death of Elizabeth 1st. I know you don't mean to cause offense but that was just plain incorrect.

If you want to have a flag that shows the heritage of the truck, the UK flag would be most appropriate. Alternative ideas could be a German flag because Land Rover was a German company when your truck (and mine) was built. (I am not advocating this)

TRIARII 11-01-2014 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Booth (Post 489007)
Actually it's rather insulting that you'd call it an English truck. It's not. Look it up, my country of birth is called the United Kingdom. It was formed after the Union of the Crowns when King James 6th of Scotland became the King of England after the death of Elizabeth 1st. I know you don't mean to cause offense but that was just plain incorrect.

If you want to have a flag that shows the heritage of the truck, the UK flag would be most appropriate. Alternative ideas could be a German flag because Land Rover was a German company when your truck (and mine) was built. (I am not advocating this)

You misunderstand. I chose to display a "English" (IE: From an Germanic tribe known as the Angles) flag to show my love and support for "The English" as a single nation. I do not support nor love what the "English" did to the Irish or Scots, was no better than what Hitler's man did to the Jews. To fly a British Union Jack on my truck is to say I support everything the English did to the peoples of Scotland and Ireland. I prefer England before it engulfed Ireland and Scotland and that is what the St George's Flag will symbolize on my English truck.

Regarding place of assembly. Solihull is a town in the West Midlands of "England" therefore it is an English vehicle. Not made in Wales, Scotland or Ireland.

It is my understanding that "England" became a unified nation in the 10th century. Long before the Union of Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Robert Booth 11-01-2014 11:10 PM

Your concept of history seems a little off kilter but that's ok, my knowledge of early US history is also somewhat fuzzy.

I think it's the choice of location of assembly for your flag that I find strange. Would I sport a Mexican flag as a Canadian driving a Ford assembled in Mexico ?

You bought a German owned truck that had been formerly a British brand, assembled in the UK by UK citizens.

Like I said, it's your truck, make it what you want, but traditionally the flag would demonstrate the nationality of the driver or country that the vehicle is registered in.

TRIARII 11-02-2014 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Booth (Post 489018)
Your concept of history seems a little off kilter but that's ok, my knowledge of early US history is also somewhat fuzzy.

I think it's the choice of location of assembly for your flag that I find strange. Would I sport a Mexican flag as a Canadian driving a Ford assembled in Mexico ?

You bought a German owned truck that had been formerly a British brand, assembled in the UK by UK citizens.

Like I said, it's your truck, make it what you want, but traditionally the flag would demonstrate the nationality of the driver or country that the vehicle is registered in.

Please do correct me on anything I said that was false about English history. Please be very clear and complete with your response because if my sources are incorrect then I want my money back for all the books I paid for!

OffroadFrance 11-02-2014 06:31 AM

Land Rover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia = facts

http://www.motoringheritage.co.uk/ht...tish_cars.html = zilch

TRIARRII, if you want to put an English flag on your LR I'm with you it's a free country both sides of the pond. As for the historical repression claptrap it's normal and something we live with and pay for even today, who cares (re: recent referendum). I'm jewish origins but I wouldn't sport a star of david on my LR's as much as a Canadian scot shouldn't sport a St Andrews cross if one follows that logic but hey ho it's a free world in some places. Unless you own a D1 or early D2 after 2000 it ain't German and the V8 was originally a Buick 5.25 engine in any event sleeved down to 3.5 for Rover group. The LR's are assembled in the Midlands using English labour (well not all) and registered as an English company producing an English designed and manufactured product (apart from spares) therefore it's obstensibly English.

Caterham badge their cars with a union jack wherever sold around the world and rightly so. ;):D

So if the St Georges cross 'floats your boat' just go for it. :) it's your business and no-one elses. :cool:

If you follow the F1 pinnacle logic of where cars are designed and built at some point in time, even Ferrari, would be sporting and English flag but today only Ferrari are designed and manufactured outside the UK without exception. Engines, well, some are from elsewhere in europe but they are and were originally UK designed and built. I wonder why? :cool: