Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

I accidentally bought a D2

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 12:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
Default I accidentally bought a D2

Yep. Long story short I was talking w the wife about re establishing my credit. Previous relationship my ex ran up all my cards and ruined my credit score. Paid all my debt off and for years been living on nothing but cash or debit. Zero debt. Turns out that's actually not good. I have to have payment history. After doing some BS credit cards for awhile I realized I had to get, pay, and maintain a secured loan to really build my history. Sooooo...

I really didn't want a new car.I wanted a Rover. Can't buy a new one. Nor could I afford a newer low mile LR3/4. Plenty of cheap high mile zero history ones out there but decided not to go that route.

So I found a low mile 2004 D2 and a crap little car dealer. I know I over paid for it but I figure it's for a greater good. And I know the truck pretty well w some exceptions so maintenance and repairs won't be a problem. And I know it is still very capable. So good all around. Plus with the payment I'll be forced to keep it for awhile. Other than paying to much for it it's pretty clean. 89k miles. I pulled the car fax and much of its history is documented. It spent most of its life in southern cali then in New Mexico. So no rust. Plus is has my favorite D2 wheels somehow. I hope it doesn't throw a sleeve in the next 100 miles. Haha

Old 12-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats, the no rust worth a little extra, then again you are in Vegas.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Congrats your place has to be starting to look like a Rover repair shop....

Old 12-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

When are you gonna accidently buy a Defender? Series? Disco Sport? RRSC? Your the "I'll have one of each" kid........ don't let me down now! I wanna accidently live vicariously through you accidently and by accident! You need to finance at least two Rovers at once, that will firm up your credit twice as fast! I know you, you wanted a Rover you could buy off the shelf wheels for...... AND you mentioned WIFE?! You devil dog! Glad she passed the test...... You know, if you keep this up your gonna surpass most of our used parts folks for buying Rovers. Watch out Paul, Drillbit, Will!! Here comes the Shifter into overdrive!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Pro Wrench

Hahah! If I could afford any of those I would already own one or more. The series 3 being my favorite of all Rovers. But damn they are pricey.

Actually technically she's not officially the wife. In May we officially get married in St Lucia. Destination style. For that trip is why the first blue RRC was sold. Funded a huge portion of the wedding. Then the silver Disco recently sold funded all the excursions we have planned there. Plus contributed to the bills for that month. So now we can leave and go on out 2 week trip worry/debt free.

She's a Rover enabler! She never stops me from wrenching or wheeling or buying! I need more supervision.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Yes you do! I can't believe the transformation, from your first Disco till now. Your gonna be the resident expert on this board someday. It's nice to see you've put them to good use funding your island adventure! I've almost pulled the trigger on several 04 DII's cuz they where "inexpensive". All of them needed engine work but I have a machine shop that although expensive does know them well and would top hat the blocks for me. I just haven't had the time or ambition to do so yet, they're one of my all time "I hate working on this engine" vehicles because there's so much "stuff" in the way of a straight shot with a wrench. You never know, once I get my plastic car ironed out I'll probably dump the D1 and dive right in since I'll have the pole barn emptied and it's winter. I could use an honest opinion about them once you've settled in to yours.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:55 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

that's the thing about credit if you use it they hold it against you, but if you don't use it they then hold that against you

Old 12-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Luck on both the wedding and the D2!

Old 12-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Pro Wrench

I went back and read my first post. Hahah. What a noob. Far from an expert. Just have a passion for them I guess. Scouts I hear ya on the D2. I was worried primarily about the that damn intake, slipped liners, watts linkage, and our friends the Amigos 3. For me this truck is a case of it ain't broke....do I really want to screw it up. Scares me. Its got the red coolant. Original hose clamps. No lift. Runs and drives fine. But I know I'm going to want to do prevention scared to start giving it issues when I'm trying to help it.

I'd be truly dangerous with an empty barn!!! Especially after I can borrow like crazy and buy Rovers unchecked. I'd have to live in it too.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
that's the thing about credit if you use it they hold it against you, but if you don't use it they then hold that against you
Loan balances on a house or vehicle and consistently paying on time = good.
Carrying a credit card balance and making small payments = bad.

I think.

We also charge everything we can to a credit card with some kind of rewards or kickback or something. By everything I mean our normal daily expenses like gas and groceries, etc. We also charge any bills we can and even the downpayment on our van. Never anything we can't pay off at the end of the month; that whole carrying a balance thing.

Quick Reply: I accidentally bought a D2