Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

I went over to the dark side

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
Default I went over to the dark side

Well.....I sold my rover and bought a CJ7. I never really wanted to be a jeep guy...but I got tired of the limitations and the complexity. Not bashing Rovers at all but the more off roading I did the more I realized how much I wanted to simplify my Discovery. I think when I had some alarm issues in the parking lot of a grocery store a few weeks ago I was done. I fixed the problem because I was close to home and was able to get a ride and come back. If that had happened in the middle of the desert...I don't know what I would have done.

I sold my truck and made enough to buy a project Jeep CJ7. It's perfect for me for what I do. It's brutal simple and tough as nails. Straight six. Carb. Torqueflight auto (already plans to swap to a SM465 4spd I have) It's already lifted and has a rear locker. What I like best is the fact that it's a blank canvas. It's so easily changed or upgraded. Want a small block Chevy? No problem? AMC V8? 4spd? Auto? Diesel? Different transfercase? Axle swaps. Gears. All no problem and easily done. Something that wasn't possible w the Rover.

I will miss the ride quality. The smoothness. The refined feeling to it. I love the looks of the Discovery. I love it's safari feel. I don't love it's electrical system and fragile 4.0. It's nice not constantly worried about catastrophic engine failure. Nothing beats the reliability and ruggedness of a straight 6.

I have to do ball joints. Sort out some steering issues and attempt to make the interior less tractor and a little more comfortable. Plans include beefed up Dana 44's and my 4spd swap. Maybe a front locker. That's it.

I will miss my Rover. I liked being on this forum and the community around these trucks. I'm sure I'll be back once I get tired of the rattles. Thanks to everyone who helped me out and gave me advice. I appreciate all the effort given. If any of you are in Vegas and need a hand let me know.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:05 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's all 4X4 on the inside Just for kicks I looked up CJ7's on Los Angeles CL and holy smokes they aren't cheap! Plus I have to admit that I have been keeping my eyes open for the right 97 Land Cruiser to come up for sale and if so this Rover might be sold too.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Yea I got a screaming deal on this one. No rust anywhere. Runs and drives great. It does need a bunch of work.

I had a FJ80 a little while ago. It was a great truck. It was geared super low. If i did it again I'd go with the FZJ80. The DOHC seems to be less of a turd.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

great for off road, just sucks getting there. I have a 78 7 (sway,rattle,bounce edition) and it hasn't been reg. or inspected since '98. never sees pavement. good luck and enjoy.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
If i did it again I'd go with the FZJ80. The DOHC seems to be less of a turd.
I know someone with the lexus version that has been turbo charged. That helps too I bet.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Well.....I sold my rover and bought a CJ7. .
Will Paul be listing the parts soon ?