Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

I might build Vintage Camper/ Vintage truck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
Default I might build Vintage Camper/ Vintage truck.

On my last trip out for 3 days my long time friend and I were reflecting on the amount of time setting up/taking down camp. Plus when we got into the high elevations of Utah it got down right cold at night being on the ground. Last year we got hit w a major rainstorm and had to pack up camp when the water started washing under the tent.

Talk began about a pick up with a slide in camper. The more booze we drank and the more we talked about it we started talking about how cool a vintage truck with a vintage camper would be. I found a few Alaskan models local. Cheap yet needing total restoration. These actually raise and lower when parked. I love this idea.Im seriously considering selling my Classic to make it happen. I realize I'd be giving up some of my off road capability from the Rover. The added convenience of the sleeping situation would be an ok trade off.

I'd really want a brutal simple truck. Preferably a 4spd. Easy field repairs.

This is the image I can't get out of my head.

Thoughts?

Old 11-22-2017, 03:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

Looks sweet! I love old trucks. I'm considering buying an old Power Wagon for my next vehicle. Been abandon in a garage for 20+ years. Right up my alley.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Early Christmas present for ya..

I was looking for fun stock with a vintage vibe for my shop last night and came across this pillow. Immediately thought of you. Don't know about getting rid of something that 'makes your boy parts tingle' but hey.. whatever floats your boat

Old 11-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Pro Wrench

HAHAHA. Amazing. True. I don’t really want to sell the Rover. Just hard to budget for two projects. I already have a hard enough time keeping the Rover parts secret.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

One Life, Live It...

For me, life's about doing the things you want to do, well, within reason and as long as my wife says it's okay, but I say go for it!

Vintage rig, with a vintage camper...that's just plain cool. Granted, hate to see you leave the rover world. I thought this was one of those places, to quote the Eagles, where..."you can checkout anytime you like, but you can never leave".

Brian.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
I already have a hard enough time keeping the Rover parts secret.
I've met the UPS driver on our route...I stopped wondering why my wife didn't complain about me ordering parts online...lol. You just need to call UPS and ask for a better looking/hunk driver...and parts can be delivered at will.

Brian.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to get a rooftop tent for your classic? I love old trucks too, but you already have an old Rover! I suppose you'll be happy either way though..

Old 11-22-2017, 06:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Yea a roof top would be cheaper. And much easier. I did find a cheap 73 F250. Been sitting for decades. It's so cheap I could do it on the side w almost no cost initially. But it would have to live in the garage.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Or a basecamp trailer to pull behind with the RTT on it. I'm considering building one right now.

I was surprised to learn that Harbor Freight doesn't sell trailer kits for the immediate future.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

Let me tell you about the DEAL on building trailers. Mobile home axles are $60/ea and wheels/tires are $100 for 10.

If you ask me, that's the cheap start to a really beefy car trailer.
​​​​​

Quick Reply: I might build Vintage Camper/ Vintage truck.