Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Land Rover vs Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:44 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Land Rover vs Toyota

i like the toyoatas diff lock system where you turn the thing on the hub, i think it is cheap and it works damn well.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:44 PM
5th Gear

Just replaced my 96 Land Cruiser with an LR3, and have owned and heavily moded a 91 yota truck, so might be able to give some insight here. Trucks cheap to fix, the Cruiser, parts are as or more expensive than Rover Parts. Offroad, the yota trucks win hands down in the slop and mud. There super light and will take some serious thrashing on the drivetrain. The Cruiser great truck, very heavy, stock rear dif lock, But rather poor departure angles. Drivetrain is indistructable though and at 145K I've had zero problems with anything. Wouldn't say it would out wheel a Disco though in stock form. Love it and hated to see it go but time to update. The Land Cruiser has gone totally soccer mom recently though. Way to pluch and pricey to be a god offroader. At nearly 20K more than a loaded LR3 my decision was rather easy. Have wheeled the LR3 a bit in the last week of so and am very imressed. Short of the tire issue I don't see anything short of an H1 that is anywhere close to as capable stock. The TRS is amazing and really works well. Got it up on two wheel climbing a backhoe pile yesterday, LC wouldn't think about doing that. Toyota is really not supporting or catering to the Off-Road community these days where as LR is. But that's why Toyota is outselling everybody these days, we are a dying bread and don't really account for a large percentage of sales. Not too many people buy a new truck to wheel it these days. And LR's cost is sure to deter your average buyer from wheeling there shinny BLING BLING LR3 so I guess thats why were stuck with the crappy wheel and tire package. IMHO LR is slowly going the way of the other automakers in making what will sell instead of trying to make the average guy buy what he doesn't need and won't use his vehicle for.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Rock Crawling

No Land Rover is not going the same way as other manufacturers, they are increasing their model range instead to cater for all groups. The good news is that the new defender will becoming stateside from what I have read todate, which means they will out perform any toyota off road in stock form, plus the mods available are huge.

By the way, some said no mods are available for the LR3, you need to give it time, some things are starting to appear on the uk market fir the LR3, but it takes time for the manufacturers to catch up, the freelander now can be highly modified these days, including using lift kits etc, but it has taken time for the small independant manuacturers to develop these kits.

Points to note is that LR3 is a seperate chassis to body, where as I beleive the latest version of the Land Cruiser is a monococ system.

Also we are reading some interesting developments enginewise, Ford seem to be developing hybrid large size engines using ethonol, while their engine partners PSA are developing smaller hybrid electric engined vehicles, so I think we will see quit a few changes to Land Rovers line up in the future.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:06 AM
Rock Crawling

I agree with cunrya I don't think a LC will out wheel A Disco not a D1 maybe a D2 no diff lock. My dad has a Cruiser fj80 with lockers and a winch bumper we went to hollister california for a offroad outing. My discovery a 1996 se with the diff lock engaged went everywhere his cruiser did he had a slightly somewhat easier time with factory lockers but in my opinion that doesn't mean **** it's all about the driver. and as far as strength both truck are very strong both have a large axles, robust suspensions ,bulletproof drivetrains ,extremely rugged frames landies frames appear to be larger that's my 2 cents ,both are well known to be unbreakable trucks, both cost money ,one has lockers other a diff lock ,both will kick a jeeps *** off road ,both are heavy trucks Land cruiser is heavier because of steel body Land rover has hard aluminum alloy body with a steel roof and inner steel body. actually the Disco has a advantage over the Cruiser Aluminum Alloy doesn't rust plus it's just are strong just not as heavy that's better for gas economy either way I love my discovery I will keep until she dies years from now and when I do get lockers for my Discovery Im gonna give Pops a run for his money.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Nrrh, by the time you get the lockers your father will have replaced the cruiser with a new Defender...

Old 02-04-2006, 05:27 AM
Rock Crawling

If my dad gets a new defender That will be super awesome It's just sad that you can't import Defenders to the US [:@]

Old 02-04-2006, 05:35 AM
Rock Crawling

The new ones you will be able to buy from the dealers, hopefull due out either last quarter 2006 or first quarter 2007. At least that is what I have been told so far. Though us chaps here in the uk will still be able to buy the old style defender untill 2012 brand new.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Rock Crawling

will the new defender still have rugged defender styling if so i will definately tell dad to buy one.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Rock Crawling

That is something we are waiting to find out. The talk at the moment is that the front is getting extensive restyle, both on the current model and the new one which will be on the LR3 T5 chassis. One would guess it will be getting the current family nose job.

The rear though is left unchanged...

Old 08-24-2009, 06:10 PM
4wd Low
Default Differentials

I have a P38. It has a visco coupling in the transfer case. The differentials only lock when the fluid gets hot. Just like the Subaru WRX. For left right locking the traction control computer uses the ABS to grab the spinning wheel to transfer power to the other one.

The system works well and doesn't twist off axles like a traditional diff locker would.

Regarding wheeling:
- Differentials are pushed to one side. This makes it easier to clear tall obstacles
- Very impressive stock articulation. Keeps the wheels on the ground so you can get the power down.
- Traction control. On mine it really helps prevent sliding in many cases.
- Tall Seat. Good road visibility
- Designed to ford rivers. All electrical components are on top of the engine
- Coil springs. Much more responsive suspension on any terrain

Toyotas do have some advantages:
- Lighter
- Lower cost parts

Areas where I would like better stuff on my rover:
- Brush bars
- Rock Bars
- Diff Armor
- Larger tires. More ground clearance
- Winch
- High lift Jack

All these mods are common on all offroad vehicles.

Mods required to make a yota perform at the same level as a stock rover.:
- Solid axels
- Coil Spring conversion (almost never done in practice)
- Diff lockers of some form
- Mild lift for better articulation
- Traction control system (never done in practice)
- Higher torque motor
- Higher output alternator

Quick Reply: Land Rover vs Toyota