Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Landrover stories to make you laugh or cry

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Landrover stories to make you laugh or cry

Guyos
Since I can see from the post on this forum many of you are very passionate about your rides, but do remember its only a piece of bent iron!

That stated I have wrecked and lost several of them to accident and mis- adventure some in the strangest of circumstances and others have never ceased to amaze with their durability.

I will start the discussion with how far have you driven in one trip?

In the mid eighties l drove a 109 Series 3 Safari from Baghdad to Amman, then up to Damascus, down to Dammam, across to Akaba, ferry ship (Saudi Moon) to Port Said; then up to Alexandria, down to Cairo, further down to Khartoum, even further south to a one horse town called Juba on the banks of the Nile. Then retrace by route back to Baghdad and an ice cold Scheherazade by the best pool in town at the British Club in the city.

One mechanical problem--a flat tire in Amman.
"Oh ham du laeh lah!" --God in heaven!
T/V

Old 03-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Mudding

Guys are we timid has no-one ever done anything remotely wild with a Landrover.

Here's one!
I was called to help recover a nice white D2.
Owner and his wife got all romantic and sent the kids off with the Au Pair driving for some separate time. Coming back abruptly the Au Pair from Thailand drove the D2 through the open garage right into the master bedroom and straight into the oversized jet spa bath tube where it came to rest the couple "en flagrante" on the floor!

Landrover was hardly marked with a cracked radiator and bent bumper.
T/V

Old 03-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Farthest trip I have done is from Bowling Green Kentucky to the Bottom of the Copper Canyon Mexico. 99 Disco was fairly new as I was new to it. Drove from Creel to Batopilas ( bottom of canyon on a 50 mile one way dirt road with 2 way traffic. Took 5 hours met many flatbed trucks that were going very fast. Scary. Drove back to Creel and Rover wouldn't start the next day. Managed to get get some mexican mechanics. If they can't make it run nobody can. They called Land Rover dealer in Chihuahua city . Discovered a relay under the hood was bad jumped it out with a piece of #12 wire , charged me 5 bucks and presto it ran.
Overall about a 7000 mile trip. Great memories

Old 03-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Mudding

Nice story Slabrat--memorable I bet!
T/V

Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is a picture story, because I have a headache and don't want to type. Loosely listed from oldest to newest.

Pictures tell stories, right?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuercas viejas
Nice story Slabrat--memorable I bet!
T/V
Very Memorable

Street Wolf Bad *** looking ride. Love it

Here is a pic of the road to Batopilas. They told us when we left to go back to Creel If we leave early or first up the road stop at the bridge and drive the nails back in to the boards.. They tend to work their way out at night in the cold, So we drove the nails back in. I bet they get all the tourists to do that for them!

Attached Thumbnails Landrover stories to make you laugh or cry-roadto-batopilas.jpg  
Old 03-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

dallas to whitefish mt with a lot of detours is my longest disco trip

Old 03-28-2014, 12:33 AM
Mudding

It is said that truth is stranger than fiction.
I hark back to the mid 70's and a Range Rover and the capital of Venezuela--Caracas!

A famous British company had sold about a 1000 city buses to the local authorities and there was a group of Brit mechanics and sales executives supporting the products of that big company in the country. One of the mechanics from Liverpool had this very attractive girlfriend and as we know Venezuela has some of the most beautiful women in the world --Miss World and Miss Latina winners will prove that!

On this particular weekend we had arranged a weekend beach camping expedition down to the beach south of Nauigauta on the Caribe coast. We had the big tent, the music, the barby stuff, the food and grog AND the women. In short all the elements of a "BoncheH" as the locals call it.

With the Series Landrovers we had, mine ex Chilean 1964 2a we planned to go down to the beach in two vehicles. Harry with the delectable Miss Ven wanted to impress his new girlfriend, so he asked me if I would let him have the keys to the senior directors red, top of the line Range Rover County smelling of leather and wood!
I had this inclination this was a bad idea but I handed the key to Harry anyway as the director was in the UK. After all it was company car!
It turned out to be a BAD IDEA!

Joining the throngs of Caracanean humanity heading to the beaches we got down to our spot by a dry creek bed and some mangrove swamps and the roaring surf of the Caribe. Harry and this beauty in her tanga took off in the Range Rover with a bottle of rum cocktail to a secluded spot near the mangrove swamp. We carried on partying with the girls.
Now being the rainy season a surprise BIG storm blew up and down came the rain in buckets! Huddled in the tent we saw these two running down the beach--its was Harry and girlfriend looking like two drowned rats in their cozzies.
Turned out while "in flagrante" in a hammock someone has stole their clothes, wallet AND CAR KEYS.

Breaking camp we went back to the car sat in the creek that was starting to flow river water. Try as we might we couldn't break it it being loaded with anti theft devices. So we elected to leave the car and trudge back up to the city and get the spare keys from the office then hot foot it back down the the beach.

When we got back the rain had subsided but the Range Rover had gone!
The dry creek now ranging torrent of water!

Looking out to sea we eventually spied it, the roof just visible above the waves--Crikey!
Nothing to do but go back up the mountain to Caracas but have some food and grog at Timotes in La Gauira and discuss what to say to Peter this haughty Brit executive who was IN LOVE with with his bloody Range Rover. This I don't entirely understand; love a car NO, A woman yes! But more lust after her, but a car NO!

A few days later our long lost executive sent me a telex announcing his imminent arrival into Maiquettia Airport from London with BA.

Not wanting to break the news of his loss over the phone in person I sent a telex back.
"Peter you might want to change your itinerary with BA and get off the plane in Piarco Airport Trinidad. You might find your Range Rover on the beach at Crown Point reef in Tobago".
Fireworks!

T/V