Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Let's talk MIG welders (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/lets-talk-mig-welders-76169/)

ArmyRover 10-26-2015 08:18 AM

Let's talk MIG welders

i've been using a small Harbor freight Mig with flux-core the last for five years. It's not great but it did basic welding. Well this last weekend it looks like it has died so it's time for replacement. (think ball of fire)

I'm looking in the sub $500 range don't need to be able to do huge thick pieces of steel. Most I'll ever be looking at a probably be 3/16 to 1/4. It would be nice if it could run on 110 V and be efficient. I will be adding gas mix so I can quit using flux-core as well.

So what's your recommendations what are you guys using?

jafir 10-26-2015 09:12 AM

You'll probably like 220v a lot better, at least that was the experience of a friend of mine. He ended up just adding an outlet right below the breaker box in his garage.

He's got a nicer hobart welder which is identical to some of the lower end miller welders.

Oh, another thing, when I was in college I worked for a lab that tested products for a large national retailer, and we got a couple of welders in one of them a low priced 110v model and the other low priced (but not quite as low) 220v model. The guy testing them said the 220v model could actually weld THINNER metal better, because it had better controls that let you turn things down better. I don't know if that's always the case, but it was on this one.

ArmyRover 10-26-2015 09:21 AM

The problem with the 220 is I have no outlet for it and I rent so adding it is not a option. I could get away with it if the breaker box was in the garage but it's not.

I agree though 220 would be preferred. Being able to use it though is more important

Detoured Discovey 10-26-2015 09:25 AM

If I may, once you're in that lower range, they're all going to preform about the same, what it comes down to is warranty.....personally I'd take Miller over Lincoln....I burned off my aluminum winding connection on my Lincoln 210 the first hour I owned it. I've used Millers for 32 years, I should have stuck with them...

Here's my suggestion, I've run HTP's in the past, super smooth. Right now you can pick up a 130 for $449.00 then add the tank/hose/regulator....They are currently shipping for FREE, try it for '90' days, if you don't like it, they buy it back and pay for return shipping....after that it's a 3 year warranty....How the heck can you beat that?

http://www.usaweld.com/MIG-130-Weldi...ge-p/60130.htm

Don't buy wire, I was mis-shipped 2 10lbs spools of .023 wire, they're brand new, still packaged...I can't use them so I pass 1 or both along for a smoking deal.

HTP
Miller
Lincoln
Hobart..........In that order. ;)

RedRovin' 10-26-2015 09:26 AM

Any chance you're rental place uses 220 for the dryer? If so, just swap plugs when not in use :) lol

Detoured Discovey 10-26-2015 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by jafir (Post 540142)

Oh, another thing, when I was in college I worked for a lab that tested products for a large national retailer, and we got a couple of welders in one of them a low priced 110v model and the other low priced (but not quite as low) 220v model. The guy testing them said the 220v model could actually weld THINNER metal better, because it had better controls that let you turn things down better. I don't know if that's always the case, but it was on this one.

This statement is true, more/better control.

ArmyRover 10-26-2015 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by RedRovin' (Post 540146)
Any chance you're rental place uses 220 for the dryer? If so, just swap plugs when not in use :) lol

In my current place no the dryer is on the second floor. It's a 3 story condo/townhouse thing.

Detoured, I'm going to take a look at HTP they are located about 45 min from my house.

jafir 10-26-2015 10:57 AM

You could get one of those 50ft RV extension cords ;)

ArmyRover 10-26-2015 11:29 AM

I find ways to hurt myself without putting in extra effort.

It looks like the HTP 130 has been replaced with the HTP 140

Detoured Discovey 10-26-2015 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 540174)

It looks like the HTP 130 has been replaced with the HTP 140

Don't understand that statement, if you think there's an issue, give hem a call....Being 'that' close to them is a triple no brainer.

I've run the 140's......VERY nice machine. Compare the shipping weight to other brands the same size.....that's the copper making it that much heavier, all others are aluminum windings.........DON'T go near that 140, you'll be bringing it home!! (welds heavier than advertised)