Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Are many forums now dying? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/many-forums-now-dying-87854/)

number9 01-24-2018 04:49 AM

it's the modern fragile, sensitive
Is it even be politically/socially acceptable to call a spade (cards) a spade or a fag (cigarette) a fag anymore?

What's Facebook???

OffroadFrance 01-24-2018 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by number9 (Post 634442)
Is it even be politically/socially acceptable to call a spade (cards) a spade or a fag (cigarette) a fag anymore?

What's Facebook???

"Is it even be politically/socially acceptable to call a spade (cards) a spade or a fag (cigarette) a fag anymore?" ................... seems not I'm afraid, the PC police will lock you up these days :laugh:

"What's Facebook???" ..................... well that's a very good question? ............. IMHO (sometimes or often unique) it's a social medium for the 'chattering classes' to 'communicate' and in some instances tear each other to pieces anonymously. c'est la vie. Just my 'warped' opinion. ;)

OffroadFrance 01-24-2018 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance (Post 634450)
"Is it even be politically/socially acceptable to call a spade (cards) a spade or a fag (cigarette) a fag anymore?" ................... seems not I'm afraid, the PC police will lock you up these days :laugh:

"What's Facebook???" ..................... well that's a very good question? ............. IMHO (sometimes or often unique) it's a social medium for the 'chattering classes' to 'communicate' and in some instances tear each other to pieces anonymously. c'est la vie. Just my 'warped' opinion. ;)

PS: I rest my case. What would the likes of the 6th form in Tom Brown's scooldays say these days, what would they have called their lackey today, hmmm, a 'lackey' I suppose.

Richard Gallant 01-24-2018 10:27 AM

I think it is an age thing, while I certainly ask questions that are less than intelligent on occasion I prefer a forum. I have found this one to very helpful in both figuring out problems and with people offering suggestions for fixes.

Most people seem pretty decent, and it takes a lot to offend me - I still have a sense of humor.

Facebook, Youtube etc are more popular with a younger audience. I personally don't get but I am old and less than politically correct.

robertf 01-24-2018 11:01 AM

Well the forums killed alt.fan.landrover and rec.autos.* so its fair game

The ads and commercialization are killing the forums. I'd guess 1 in 10 to 1 in 20 visits to this site with an ios device ends up in a javascript redirect to some scam website.

ArmyRover 01-24-2018 02:29 PM

Still getting those Robert?

The ads in general are bad its amazing how many things my browser is blocking on these sites, 12 items by ghostery and 6 by ad blocker plus.

robertf 01-24-2018 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 634525)
Still getting those Robert?

The ads in general are bad its amazing how many things my browser is blocking on these sites, 12 items by ghostery and 6 by ad blocker plus.

Yes. Got one earlier today

number9 01-24-2018 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by robertf (Post 634532)
an ios device

iOS (internet obviously sucks) device? I haven't graduated from Win Pro 7 or 8 for web use except occasionally on a road trip.

OffroadFrance 01-24-2018 03:47 PM

A five sided bolt no less!!!

Now sit down, get comfortable and listen up. Where would you find a five sided bolt? ........... seriously, I did say 5 sided. On a Smart City Coupe of course, doesn't everyone no that! :laugh:

Well here's the rub, I have never before in my entire life seen a five sided bolt but now I have, they are used to secure the lower front caliper slider pin to the caliper on a Smart Car Coupe. It will be rapidly exchanged for a six sided bolt on re-assembly but I am still reeling in amazement. Only Merc Smart Cars could use a 5 sided bolt along with euro E bolts everywhere. Guess what, I didn't have a spanner to fit it so in the bin it goes now I've removed it in the bench vice.

OffroadFrance 01-24-2018 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by robertf (Post 634532)

Try downloading Adblock Plus, it certainly works for me on Win 7 and Win 10 and never register or sign in to Google. Some sites don't like it and they'll let you know PDQ but who cares, they shouldn't stuff everyone with pointless ads.