Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Are many forums now dying? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/many-forums-now-dying-87854/)

TriggerPuller 01-28-2018 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by DavC (Post 634217)
Part laziness, part absolute ****e search functions on pretty much every forum.

Once the user figures out to google "(name of forum) (topic/issue)", they tend to stop posting the same question over and over again.

Huge kudos to all the users like Bbyer and others that have done this for me and others when we started looking for advice.

The worst is people asking for help, not listening to anyone, and posting back later all about their buyers remorse and how utter crap the LR brand is because they bought a sight unseen (insert unreliable model here that everyone seems to buy) and now it needs this and that to run and oh god all they wanted was a daily driver.

Lease a freaking fiesta, people. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, part of what's great about this forum and the other good ones is nobody pulls punches.

I think you have a good point re search tools. Many forums use the same UI (same company) and the search process is still fairly 2010. Also, it takes awhile for folks who are new to a type of area like Land rovers, Harleys, Archery, long range precision rifle all areas of interest to me but when I am new- I often don't have a clue about terms or lingo which can make things harder but not impossible to find. And sometimes I have a question that seems that only I can ask properly even though that is rarely true.

I think the thing that kills forums the quickest in my lil ole opinion is overly critical old timers, people resistant to different ideas, politics and the dreaded let me make you feel stupid for not owning a manual to your bike, car, truck, bow, rifle and of course opinionated newbs that don't get that you probably should be very respectful to those who came before you and should you need help in the future they'll probably be answering your call for assistance.

As far as social media goes as a cyber crime investigator I am often stunned at what people put out there about their lives and while it is sometimes not a problem I have worked on some hair curling issues that all started because someone overshared. As a newb here I'll say most of ya'll are top shelf and that isn't kissin butt- that is the truth, I see a general trend here towards providing good advice and comfort or a pat on the back when things go wrong.

I PM'd Army Rover and as soon as he found out I was a Marine, he was kind enough to start using 1-2 syllable words and anything above two syllables he used pictures. That is pretty darn nice no matter how you look at it.

Now if someone can tell me how many tubes of blue gasket maker I need per cylinder head or can I just use 1 big tube of window caulking per side I'll be squared away. I am excited to be here- now that I have a 4x4 hopefully my wife will stop calling me a lil girl. :( I have other questions like does this Discovery make my butt look big? I'll do a search first tho'

ArmyRover 01-28-2018 05:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I even offered a snack... :)

ihscouts 01-28-2018 05:55 PM

Damn, I shoulda been a Marine! Elmer's was my favorite.

16 tubes to a carton - 1 carton, that'll lower the compression ratio to regular pump gas AND seal the exhaust manifolds, oil cooler lines, transfer case seals, front cover AND both sunroofs all in one very short afternoon.

Hell, I don't even own a Rover anymore, no place for yard art. Yet I still come here to see who's pretending to fix one before the next misery awakens which usually is within the same day. The joy it brings me...... You have not lived a truly blessed life until your Rover has barfed up all six and half quarts of oil on your new boots while your checking the trans fluid level. No way, no blessing.

Fastercat 01-28-2018 07:10 PM

I’m a newbie here in the forum, just a couple of months, but it has been invaluable to me in my purchase, mods and getting her in shape. I have found the search engine not very good but there’s tons of good info here. Even tho this is my first rover I’ve been in the 4x4 scene for over 20 years. This is a niche community for sure, especially compared to the jeepers or yota groups. I hope the forum stays strong, I hope to do a few events and meet more of you and learn what I can.
ive noticed most of the younger guys I know just use YouTube for everything, which only gives you one opinion and no way of asking questions or getting more details. That’s why forums are still needed for those that are serious.

OffroadFrance 01-29-2018 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fastercat (Post 635028)
I’m a newbie here in the forum, just a couple of months, but it has been invaluable to me in my purchase, mods and getting her in shape. I have found the search engine not very good but there’s tons of good info here. Even tho this is my first rover I’ve been in the 4x4 scene for over 20 years. This is a niche community for sure, especially compared to the jeepers or yota groups. I hope the forum stays strong, I hope to do a few events and meet more of you and learn what I can.
ive noticed most of the younger guys I know just use YouTube for everything, which only gives you one opinion and no way of asking questions or getting more details. That’s why forums are still needed for those that are serious.

I have watched a few Youtube vids about D2's and I have to say some, very few, are good and accurate but some are total BS and made by idiots and often misleading, so much so I've quit viewing them now.

There are two mediums for data, one is RAVE and the other is forums but be very careful of the latter as what works for Joe Bloggs may not work for you and some other's have a bad habit of spending your hard earned money and sometimes needlessly. Fortunately I know enough kosher 'top bananas' in the auto trade and between them and RAVE I can usually figure out my own problems. That is not to say I don't use the forum data, yep, it's often useful but you have to accept my bizarre limey humour also, it goes with the territory. ;):laugh:

KernowDiscovery 01-29-2018 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance (Post 635074)
That is not to say I don't use the forum data, yep, it's often useful but you have to accept my bizarre limey humour also, it goes with the territory. ;):laugh:

Don't worry Offroad..I still love ya..humour or not. UCLA Unconditional Love and Affection xx Headed home today - wish me luck!

OffroadFrance 01-30-2018 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery (Post 635177)
Don't worry Offroad..I still love ya..humour or not. UCLA Unconditional Love and Affection xx Headed home today - wish me luck!

I hope you and your family enjoyed their break in Cornwall despite the crap weather and some of the relatives ;) Safe journey home to the US.

Just a little gem, did you know the diesel Nissan Qashquai produces 18x the EU legal limit of NOx they say, wonderful car eh ;) makes our old D2's look good really.

Alex_M 02-05-2018 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 634525)
Still getting those Robert?

The ads in general are bad its amazing how many things my browser is blocking on these sites, 12 items by ghostery and 6 by ad blocker plus.

1 in 10 or 1 in 20 is nothing. On Android I'm getting redirected every 5th click. Sometimes twice in a row. That's been my only real problem.

As to the main topic, I've noticed a bit of a decline in regular personalities on here but I think that is is just in a bit of a lull. From what I've seen, seems to happen every few years. Some newer personalities are also popping in, including a couple of women which I'm glad to see. I've known plenty of women more competent at wrenching than many men and I'm glad to see them starting to gain status in the online world. I think this forum in particular has been really good about not ridiculing or being sleasy towards female patrons.

There's just a refresh every few years. People leave for one reason or another and it takes a while for newer regulars to gain the knowledge and sometimes temperament of what some see as "old timers". I was a noob member at one point with little to nothing to share, too. I like to think I've become a valuable member that helps where I can, though I still learned new stuff all the time.

ArmyRover 02-05-2018 07:11 PM

That's wild as I almost never see it on my phone and I log in a lot from there. To do mod crap. Of course I don't use the mobile version as it is useless for moderator fucntions

ihscouts 02-05-2018 07:51 PM

It's a site redirect saying you have "X amont of viruses and will download a software fix in X seconds"....Only with Chrome on Android, using Samsung browser I choke it's neck. It's a mobile browser issue with embedded code stuck in someones banner ad.