Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

My Grown Up Christmas List

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default My Grown Up Christmas List

(favorite Christmas song, btw...)

It’s hard to believe that today is the day before Christmas, one more day to go. It seems like just yesterday that I was writing a little missive about the perils & pitfalls of Trunk or Treating, believing in the falling leaves and the season that was sure to come. The season is now upon us and everywhere you look people are rushing to their next destination.

I’m a little titched and don’t always keep my eyes on the road when I travel. I’m too inspired by all that surrounds me, including the marquee signs that pepper the road. There is one in particular that makes me think of this forum, I see it every day on my way to work and it reads ‘every leaf turns into a snowflake’. I suppose that is true depending on which climate you live in and if mother nature is keeping watch. There isn’t much snow on the ground today – a dreary rain keeps falling and the bustling traffic flows like molasses flirting with the bottom of my oven as it drips off the cookie pan.

Cookies are typically something on my Christmas list. I enjoy making them for others and eating them as well. And I think it’s fair to say that Christmas is synonymous with lists, non? We all make them, well most of us do – especially women. The list to get everything perfect and create that absolute divine moment for those we love. My list, like many others, looks a little like this:

I started my list early this year and told myself this past January that I would have everything done by October. I started purchasing gifts at the get-go and tucked them away throughout the year. Something for daddy, something for sis, something for mum, something for the neighbor, something for the cat, and the list went on. This was all in order to create a picture perfect Kodak moment, mind you. And even though I started waaaaay too early I still didn’t finish my list. And every year I find that it’s easy to get wrapped up in the things that don’t matter (the Christmas cd that you didn’t finish for a friend, the coffee you didn’t pick up, the cookies you didn’t bake, the perfect stocking stuffer you neglected to get, etc, etc.) in order to get everything perfect.

When I was in my twenties I would deck everything out for Christmas. I was on top of things – the Christmas diva if you will. I would have the perfect pajama set for Christmas eve, Dale of Norway sweaters and sherpa suede vests to wear outside with my coordinating accessories and I would do a photo Christmas card of something funny just because (setting up a Christmas tree in the middle of snowstorm on the beach and decorating it for the perfect photo opportunity). I enjoyed doing it but somehow over the years I slowed down in my overzealous ways and learned to tone it down…. a bit

I say that because I am guilty as much as the next person for overdoing it at Christmas. I was out there this morning like many of us gathering last minute gifts for those that I love (journal with a Thoreau quote on it anyone?). I like to make people laugh, think, play, love, and enjoy the season. I know that I’m not the only one either. I see it every day on the roads as I bumble down the highway in my trusty ol’ Rover. The Suburban that is decked out with fuzzy reindeer antlers, the hybrid with the bumper sticker that states ‘is it too late to be nice?’, the old Pick-up truck with the wreath on the grill. We all like to have fun.

So, fellow Rover enthusiasts, as we ramble down the road to make it to our next Christmas destination, remember that the person in the vehicle next to you is most likely doing the same thing. It’s so easy to get caught up in the superficial aspects of the season that we forget what is truly important and we forget how to breathe. Wave to your neighbor, stop and talk to them, wish them a Merry Christmas, make a different list next year or resolve not to make one.. whatever you choose.. I know that mine will be slightly altered and it will look a little more like this:

xx

Attached Thumbnails My Grown Up Christmas List-christmas_list1.jpg   My Grown Up Christmas List-christmas_list2.jpg  

Last edited by landlover_1; 12-24-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Just for you landlover_1, on the wrong thread, but hey, who cares.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Happy new year Landlover_1 and I hope 2015 is a great year for you and your kin.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:18 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, nice lists!