Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

My opinion of Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
TRIARS wish is my command

Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Chocolate_Box_cottage,_Ashton_under_Hill_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1482850.jpg

The problem is these days the ideal will set you back a couple of million £££ and the chances of being burgled is pretty good. Sadly the UK isn't what it used to be. Everyone has a dream or fantasy for their ideal and without that little dream or fantasy there is nothing much to strive for. I like someone who wants to achieve what they dream of as it makes the world go round.

Everywhere has it's trials and tribulations as witnessed in Paris this week where there was another unwarranted atrocity ............ and for what? Paris is only 4 hours drive but seemed a thousand miles away.

That house is much to large for me ^^ Im thinking of something much more primitive and much smaller. But yes Im glad you guys got a kick out of that! Funny thing its been my dream since I was a kid (Im 26 now)

PS: My apologies for the recent tragedy that took place in Paris. Im glad you were not anywhere near by though.... this world has gone absolutely mad.

The following users liked this post:
OffroadFrance (01-14-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

In full disclosure, I own a 2004 Discovery 2 and a 2012 LR4. Hopefully I'll have a 109 in my near future...

Ok that said, my wife's stock LR4 with decent all season tires, outperforms my modified D2 in every worthwhile category I can think of.

Land Rover also sells non luxury, more modest trims of their current vehicles elsewhere in the world.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:30 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
That house is much to large for me ^^ Im thinking of something much more primitive and much smaller. But yes Im glad you guys got a kick out of that! Funny thing its been my dream since I was a kid (Im 26 now)

PS: My apologies for the recent tragedy that took place in Paris. Im glad you were not anywhere near by though.... this world has gone absolutely mad.

No need to apalogise TRIARR, it's another result of extremism and fanatics under the banner of religion, which of course, has nothng to do with it.

Unfortunately the French have had this sad rude awakening to their 9/11 0r 7/7 but sadly innocent people have to die once again. Why? we will never know. It's the new order of this world, which as you say, has gone completely mad.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:40 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance

No need to apalogise TRIARR, it's another result of extremism and fanatics under the banner of religion, which of course, has nothng to do with it.

Unfortunately the French have had this sad rude awakening to their 9/11 0r 7/7 but sadly innocent people have to die once again. Why? we will never know. It's the new order of this world, which as you say, has gone completely mad.
All the more reason to buy or build a small cottage deep in the bush and live out the days in peace.... far from the conflict.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

[QUOTE=TRIARII;499501]You are one grumpy old man Paul

Keep in mind this thread is just my opinion of Land Rover, and you know what they say about opinions? " Opinions are like **** holes, everyones got one and they all stink"! [QUOTE=TRIARII;499501]

No, Julian, I'm just a realistic old man.

Now, as far as your comment about opinions, frankly, it's one of a grotesquely simple mind. Yes, there are opinions that aren't worth the ink they're written on and then there are opinions that serve to change the world. Yours, sadly, is in the former camp.

What you fail to realize is how utterly void of anything substantive you've chosen to base that opinion. You hate computers yet you use them every single day. You dislike luxury but I suspect you pine for it. Whether you know it or not, your opinion expresses negativity all over the place. You seem to have distaste for people from India, China, celebrities, politicians and anyone who wants a sunroof or a mobile phone in their car. You have issues you need to overcome.

Now, as far as the inanity of some of your comments in the original post and your follow up to mine, you show a fundamental misunderstanding of Land Rover.

You express your undying admiration for the old Series Rover which I can understand, to a degree, having owned and restored one many years ago. However, you then make statements extolling the virtues of coil springs in another comment. You do realize that the Series Rovers all used leaf springs that had more in common with horse carriages than modern automobiles.

Following along these lines, while touting the advantages of coil springs you fail to acknowledge the first coil sprung Land Rover was, in fact, a Range Rover. Said Range Rover, with it's advanced coil sprung suspension, predated the first 110 by 13 years. I guess it could be said that due to the success Land Rover had with the coil sprung suspension, it led to the abandonment of leafs on the 110 and 90.

Perhaps you've never heard of a little Spanish company called Santana. They owned the license for selling Land Rover models in Spain. They, like you, were so enamored with the old Series Rover that even after Land Rover switched to coils, they maintained the horse carriage suspension. By the way, they're no longer in business.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by TRIARII

Im mixed about luxury items on vehicles. On one hand I like the ride comfort and height adjustability offered with air suspension. Of course air suspension has uses during offorading such as raising the ground clearance. BUT I read an article that talked about the air suspension system on the LR3 and RR. Supposedly if the air strouts should fail or spring a air leak then the body sinks down forcing the wheel to far up in the wheel well and you cannot drive the vehicle... dont remember the article off hand but thinking about what they said I can only imagine the horrors if the air suspension system failed while you were a couple hundred miles from home or out on the trails. I cant help but think that coil springs are more reliable. As for the electronics well yes Im sure they can make a big difference while you driving on slippery roads or offroading because they can help optimise the systems on the vehicle, however should any of those computer systems get wet they are screwed and thus the vehicle is screwed because the vehicle relies to heavily on the computers to function. Also Land Rover always seemed to have issues with their electronics and computers. When it comes to servicing these heavily computerized vehicles nowadays you need more than simple tools to repair the vehicles. Now you need the internet and expensive computer diagnostic tools to make the repairs. For example the air suspension struts on the LR3. Once you replace the strut you still have to use the diagnostic tools to reset the electronics for the air system otherwise the error messages and warning lights will remain on the dash and may prevent you from operating the vehicle. If the world goes to **** are you really going to trust these computer driven vehicles over say a simple Series III? I know I would not!

Just my opinion of things.
Here is another example of why your opinion on Land Rover is vacuous. You use one article that you are unsure you remember correctly, are unable to cite and use is to condemn an entire technology. I cannot believe how many times I get into discussions with people on this board who have absolutely no idea what anecdotal evidence means.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:57 AM
TReK

Let me ask you a blunt question. Why haven't you sold that piece of outdated technology wrapped in distasteful luxury you're driving now? Why haven't you picked up a 109 in anticipation of your sojourn northward? Keep in mind, actions speak much louder than words.

By the way, I'll offering up this personal information having read of what you want in life. My wife and I live in a 175 year old trappers cabin in a bucolic portion of Litchfield County, CT on a sizeable piece of land with a magnificent Komondor, a small herd of Nigerian Dwarf goats, an enormous garden that provides for a substantial portion of our food needs and, aside from our Rovers, have several vehicles that we use regularly that are at least 30 years old.

Not that different than what you seem to be looking for.

I am not, in any way a prepper or someone awaiting the rapture. Quite the opposite. I am excitedly looking forward to the future that lies ahead.

I guess, in the end, my point and my advise to you comes as a simple warning. Before you write, before you speak, before you act, think. Think long and hard about what you want to say, how you want to say it and how others may view what you've said. When making assertions, speak from a position of strength using facts, tangible facts. When offering an opinion try to make it more than a rant. Even when making a post on a bulletin board, before letting fingers flail, think about both the purpose and the need for what you're about to say.

I'm an old man in your mind and I remember what I was like in my early 20's. One thing I acutely remember is that it was much harder back then to carve my words into eternity than it is today. Today, on the internet, your words live on. Make them as meaningful as you can.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
I'm just a realistic old man.
I gotta say, after my failed attempt to get that fuel line connector from you, I too thought you were kind of a grumpy old man.

However, after reading your off topic posts, you seem more like a wise old Native American Chief who just happens to get grumpy when he feels time is being wasted or verbal diarrhea is being spewed

Old 01-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Here is another example of why your opinion on Land Rover is vacuous. You use one article that you are unsure you remember correctly, are unable to cite and use is to condemn an entire technology. I cannot believe how many times I get into discussions with people on this board who have absolutely no idea what anecdotal evidence means.

you mean the kind of evidence that counteracts the effects of poising.....duh

Old 01-14-2015, 04:29 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
I gotta say, after my failed attempt to get that fuel line connector from you, I too thought you were kind of a grumpy old man.

However, after reading your off topic posts, you seem more like a wise old Native American Chief who just happens to get grumpy when he feels time is being wasted or verbal diarrhea is being spewed
Like Paul, that makes two of us ..................... I'm nicknamed Victor Meldrew by some for my ............ eerrr outlook and attitude maybe

BBC - Comedy - One Foot in the Grave

Grumpy is good ................... it keeps all the pr@ts away from you

Quick Reply: My opinion of Land Rover