Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

My opinion of Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Here is another example of why your opinion on Land Rover is vacuous. You use one article that you are unsure you remember correctly, are unable to cite and use is to condemn an entire technology. I cannot believe how many times I get into discussions with people on this board who have absolutely no idea what anecdotal evidence means.

Paul you greatly misunderstand me. My "opinion" (IE: No evidence required) is that modern Land Rovers are to computerized and thus not as practical as older models that had less computers. Computers can fail at any time without warning. I never said I hate computers or that Im expecting "the rapture". ****s going on in the world that makes me question the safety and welfare of this country and the world. Ebola, global warming, security breaches, ISIS, Ferguson, low fuel prices, the economy etc.

Hey Paul, I found that article! Straight from the product description on Atlantic British: LR3 Coil Spring Conversion Kit | Land Rover Discovery 3 Suspension Kits I dont recall ever seeing you cite your sources either so practice what you preach.

Here's another interesting article from JE Robinson about air suspension issues on Rovers: http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2...s-go-flat.html

Here's a thread from owners themselves: http://landroverhell.com/article/4009/

Last edited by TRIARII; 01-14-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Where does it say that the wheels will stuff and the vehicle will be un-driveable if the EAS faults?

With stock size tires the truck will be on the bump stops, but driveable just not a silky smooth comfortable ride. Where ever you read that was wrong or you confused it for LR3's with over-sized tires.

Oh and FYI, my buddy that just put on his lift kit had to snapped coil springs in the front of his Disco. So they fail as well.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Where does it say that the wheels will stuff and the vehicle will be un-driveable if the EAS faults?

With stock size tires the truck will be on the bump stops, but driveable just not a silky smooth comfortable ride. Where ever you read that was wrong or you confused it for LR3's with over-sized tires.

Oh and FYI, my buddy that just put on his lift kit had to snapped coil springs in the front of his Disco. So they fail as well.

Not saying coils dont fail, but in the couple years Ive been on here and with all the threads Ive read here, Ive never read anything about a coil spring failure. Obviously **** happens, sometimes parts are defective, sometimes owners mistreat the vehicle and push it to far and sometimes things just wear out. But my point was that the likely hood of coil springs failing vs air struts is much less. That is my opinion based off all the info and threads Ive read on forums the last couple years. The fact that top Land Rover parts vendors sell "air to coil conversion kits" is supportive to my opinion.

As for the air strut failing and making it so you cant drive, Ill be honest I cannot remember exactly where or who said that. I have so many conversations with people about Rovers, and Ive ready so many articles and threads I cannot keep track of everything. So Ill withdrawal that opinion as you both have implied its not true.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

I can tell you from personnel experience, coil springs fail, and EAS trucks can drive with stock size tires on the bump stops. You may need new kidney's though.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

3 out of 4 original coil springs have failed on my 2002 D2 in the 8 years I have owned it. I have had 2 replaced and 1 is still broken. I am not an aggressive driver and I typically don't take it offroad.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
3 out of 4 original coil springs have failed on my 2002 D2 in the 8 years I have owned it. I have had 2 replaced and 1 is still broken. I am not an aggressive driver and I typically don't take it offroad.

Very interesting. May I ask what brand of coils springs where you using? Seems alot of folks here have had good luck with TerraFirma (myself included). Disco Mike use to say that at 100k your stock coils are likely to start sagging and should be replaced so that would make sense. But your experience does sound strange. Do venders warranty these coils?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

The two that were snapped on my friends truck were land rover factory parts

Old 01-14-2015, 11:29 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think many people have 100,000 miles on TF springs, but I imagine the main reason they will fail is like any other coil spring, because of rust. Usually a ***** in the paint or powdercoat gets some rust started, and then it's just a matter of time, which is longer or shorter depending on the environment. So it's not so much the brand or quality that determines whether one will fail or when.

Air springs have a limited life as well. Rubber doesn't last forever. The real problem with the OEM stuff is that the replacement costs are very high. The same thing is true on Mercedes air suspension. It's really the cost that is annoying to owners of depreciated vehicles. They have an older Range Rover or Mercedes, and then the air suspension needs replacement and it costs as much as 10% of the value of the car. That burns people and it causes them to curse air suspension or replace it with coils. That doesn't mean air suspension is a bad thing. It just means it costs something. I think the Arnott bags are good replacements, better than oem and usually at a better price. I have them on a MB. If I were to build a Classic with EAS, I'd use the Arnott Gen III bags. I think they're better than coils for my use.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
KD, I fitted Swedish springs, they are a sideline to Bofors steel company. I'll dig out the name and PM it to you. Road springs shouldn't break under normal highway useage so something must have been wrong with them at manufacture.

I had my OEM stock springs in for 11 years and 123K miles and they seem near perfect to look at, even the paintwork on them.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (01-25-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

incase a couple of you need them music...

The following users liked this post:
OffroadFrance (01-15-2015)

Quick Reply: My opinion of Land Rover