Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

My opinion of Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:26 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Interesting article

Looks like Im not the only one with a stink aginst new Land Rovers.

Meet the 4x4 enthusiasts who reject 21st-century technology - Telegraph

Old 01-20-2015, 03:15 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Looks like Im not the only one with a stink aginst new Land Rovers.

Meet the 4x4 enthusiasts who reject 21st-century technology - Telegraph
You're right, or at least the Telegraph article is. Most die hards prefer the pre-electronic LR's for offroading particularly on safaris in the wilderness. Problem, if a computer goes '****' up in the middle of Africa it's a real problem but most jockeys can deal with mechanical breakages or malfunctions. For me in (semi) civilisation I prefer the comforts and luxuries of modernity for highway cruising where there is a tow truck available at the end of the cellphone line. However, if I were crossing Africa I would go more for a 90 or 110 diesel or even a D1 300TDI. Yep, there is still an ECU needed but you would carry a matched and tested spare for that eventuality. As long as the engine runs and the wheels turn that is the most important aspect, whether the electric windows work, indicators flash, speedo works is irrelevent in the bush or the desert. The most important bit of kit is the GPS satnav these days when on safari. A sat phone is useful but not essential.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:19 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to be the $50 car guy. Technology is cool, but let's drive an affordable ride.

Maybe I'm a corrupt corporate greed money chasing *****, but I absolutely adore the new Tech.

Mileage? Effective trail ability? Ladder Box Frame? Solid Axle? Go buy a Wrangler.
I can't see abusing a $40k rig (it'd be less but by the time I modded it to what "I" want.. boyee....) so i solidified a 15 year fantasy, and bought a $4k DII.

Do I hate "x" elements of it? PASSIONATELY

Do I crave "y" elements of it, I'm willing to improve upon what I feel are the weak points? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

The tech has a spot in todays world, and reliable.

The old school shi* has also that spot, but it pales in comparison.

Horrid comparison, but here...:

Red car, gets 20+ highway, has AIR CONDITIONED seats, and a pleasure to drive. Green Car? Not so much.

Tech is beautiful.

On the other hand, I'm putting a one wire diesel developed in 1978 by International harvester into my '04 DII.

I also have and worship a Dart. Viva Alfa/FCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!