Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Older airbag any good ?? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/older-airbag-any-good-87916/)

ROB99DISCOSD 01-24-2018 10:23 PM

Older airbag any good ??

So these grenading airbags have been in our news here in south Florida quite a bit. If you haven’t heard MILLIONS of vehicles are being recalled due to airbags that literally grenade and throw shrapnel into people. Multiple people have been killed. Many survivable accidents become fatal because humidity is deteriorating parts of the airbag and when they deploy in an accident all hell breaks loose, literally. It’s affected nearly every auto maker including some LR vehicles.
While I have nothing indicating my 99 D1 has one of these air bags I can’t help but wonder how much 20 years of Florida humidity has affected my airbags. Would the explosive even be any good anymore? I doubt my airbag would deploy for multiple reasons.....

OffroadFrance 01-25-2018 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by ROB99DISCOSD (Post 634591)
So these grenading airbags have been in our news here in south Florida quite a bit. If you haven’t heard MILLIONS of vehicles are being recalled due to airbags that literally grenade and throw shrapnel into people. Multiple people have been killed. Many survivable accidents become fatal because humidity is deteriorating parts of the airbag and when they deploy in an accident all hell breaks loose, literally. It’s affected nearly every auto maker including some LR vehicles.
While I have nothing indicating my 99 D1 has one of these air bags I can’t help but wonder how much 20 years of Florida humidity has affected my airbags. Would the explosive even be any good anymore? I doubt my airbag would deploy for multiple reasons.....

Hi, you are obviously talking about driver and passenger SRS systems not SLS suspension. The LR D2 recommended period for the SRS to be changed is every 10 years I believe (check in RAVE). The D1 or D2 (I believe) is now 19 years old so the SRS may be 9 years at least past it's recommended replacement date.

It is a well known by some/many (unspoken issue) that in the UK and Europe never buy US vehicles made with US built SRS systems as they have a bad reputation for being unreliable or causing serious injuries to drivers or passengers.

On another subject, are you sure your truck is a 1999 as the D2 duration is 1998 to 2004 which superceded the D1.

OffroadFrance 01-25-2018 07:05 AM

Hi, check in RAVE Section 75-01 to 75-28. The SRS system is covered in the general safety section.

alpinacsi 01-25-2018 08:09 AM

D1 and D2 were available in the US as '99 models. Seems that most vehicles manufactured Sept/Oct of '98 would be sold as '99 model here in the US.

ROB99DISCOSD 01-25-2018 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by alpinacsi (Post 634618)
D1 and D2 were available in the US as '99 models. Seems that most vehicles manufactured Sept/Oct of '98 would be sold as '99 model here in the US.

This is correct. NAS models saw the D1 and D2 sold in, and as, 99’s. US cars start selling a model year in the previous years fall months.

ArmyRover 01-25-2018 05:36 PM

The recall has only covered 2007-2012 Range Rovers.

2000 ML320 deployed just fine last year.

number9 01-25-2018 06:03 PM

Mother LR wrote this in the D2 WM. As AR said no recalls for exploding D1/D2 canisters. Wear your belt and you'll likely survive most collisions.

If the dumb asses would have worn belts and not have injured or died we probably wouldn't have airbags to BS about.

Periodic replacement of SRS components
The performance of the propellants within airbags
and pre-tensioners will deteriorate over a period of
time. As a result, it is essential that the airbags are
replaced after 10 years and seat belt pre-tensioners
are replaced after 15 years in order to maintain
occupant safety.

Paul Grant 01-26-2018 11:15 AM

This is an old video but, remarkably, the DI airbags never fired during the test. Go to about 8 minutes and watch. A last minute technical fault disabled the bags from being deployed. The damage speaks volumes to those who think these trucks are particularly safe.

Personally, I was hit in my then brand new Range Rover Classic, on the left front headlight by a '78 Harley Low Rider. We were both traveling at approximately 40mph when he crossed over a double yellow (BAC was over .30) and hit me. There was over $20K in damage done to my Range Rover, including the need to replace the entire front axle casing. It was shipped over to the dealer in a wooden crate that looked eerily like a coffin.

I escaped serious injury, the motorcyclist lost his leg from just below the knee. He nearly bled out due to a severed femoral artery. Thankfully, the accident occured in front of a home occupied by an EMS tech. The outcome could have been much worse.

My point to all this is that I have seen what can happen to these Rovers. Having parted out hundreds and hundreds of them I've particularly seen what I side impact can do. Next time you're mucking around with your truck get under and take a look at what's between you and an oncoming truck about to T bone you. Not much.

Back to the original question about functioning SRS air bags, I think we were lucky if they worked at all when they were new. Now, with 20 years down the pike, I doubt you could explode one intentionally. If your SRS light is on, forget about it. If the light's not on.....check the bulb!

OffroadFrance 01-27-2018 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Grant (Post 634704)
This is an old video but, remarkably, the DI airbags never fired during the test. Go to about 8 minutes and watch. A last minute technical fault disabled the bags from being deployed. The damage speaks volumes to those who think these trucks are particularly safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLLanPwRgio

Personally, I was hit in my then brand new Range Rover Classic, on the left front headlight by a '78 Harley Low Rider. We were both traveling at approximately 40mph when he crossed over a double yellow (BAC was over .30) and hit me. There was over $20K in damage done to my Range Rover, including the need to replace the entire front axle casing. It was shipped over to the dealer in a wooden crate that looked eerily like a coffin.

I escaped serious injury, the motorcyclist lost his leg from just below the knee. He nearly bled out due to a severed femoral artery. Thankfully, the accident occured in front of a home occupied by an EMS tech. The outcome could have been much worse.

My point to all this is that I have seen what can happen to these Rovers. Having parted out hundreds and hundreds of them I've particularly seen what I side impact can do. Next time you're mucking around with your truck get under and take a look at what's between you and an oncoming truck about to T bone you. Not much.

Back to the original question about functioning SRS air bags, I think we were lucky if they worked at all when they were new. Now, with 20 years down the pike, I doubt you could explode one intentionally. If your SRS light is on, forget about it. If the light's not on.....check the bulb!

As you say, the vid is old and I've seen it before.

There is a serious problem with this comparison Paul, it's an ancient D1 pre 1998 (in the UK) vs a far later Renault Espace, circa 2005 or later so the cost price is irrelevant as the Renault's don't hold their prices. But, technology moves forward and in the D2 and later there is Isofix child seats and if it's serviced correctly the SRS does deploy in a crash so IMHO this video is total BS and not representative of crash reality, in crashes the older the vehicle the higher the risks and rarely anyone will survive in head on crashes due to the brain damage caused by brain acceleration vs vehicle deceleration. It would be interesting to find out who was paying for that crash test, probably someone involved with Renault ;).

OffroadFrance 01-27-2018 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Grant (Post 634704)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLLanPwRgio

As you say, the vid is old and I've seen it before.

There is a serious problem with this comparison Paul, it's an ancient D1 pre 1998 (in the UK) vs a far later Renault Espace, circa 2005 or later so the cost price is irrelevant as the Renault's don't hold their prices. But, technology moves forward and in the D2 and later there is Isofix child seats and if it's serviced correctly the SRS does deploy in a crash so IMHO this video is total BS and not representative of crash reality, in crashes the older the vehicle the higher the risks and rarely anyone will survive in head on crashes due to the brain damage caused by acceleration. It would be interesting to find out who was paying for that crash test, probably someone involved with Renault ;).