Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Posers Driving Land Rovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The current Defenders are WAY, WAY overpriced since they finished production of them, some punters are hoping to make a 'killing' selling them. So what's the difference between a D90 and a D2, the D2 is far more comfortable and better equipped. BUT, come Brexit the bottom will fall out of the market for all LR's particularly the Defender's and the greedy sales types will be stuck with them (hopefully) and then it will be a 'buyers market'. So what is the price difference, comparable Defenders sell for at least double the price of a D2, why, just greed as usual.

The Defenders are antiques compared to modern equipment and archaic by today's standards.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 08-11-2018 at 01:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 02:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
X1 ............. Amen. If you want performance buy a Ferrari or Porsche, but if you want a 2.5 ton go anywhere truck don't expect top speed and acceleration, simples.
Absolutely! People don’t understand that maintenance is key to longevity in any case. For example I use full synthetic oil, transmission fluid, gear oil and power steering fluid. My truck was one owner and babied, and fed synthetic fluids, while dealer maintained. Every recall on the nhtsa.org vin check has been completed. My plan is to switch to valvoline synthetic tranny fluid (dexron VI/6) with some Lucas stop slip, like I use with all my cars, and synthetic gear oil for the transfrcase and differentials and keep on stepping!

Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jastutte
it's not Defender money, but someone in Saint Louis is asking $10,500 for a 2003 Discovery 2. with the SES on and cat codes, a chipped windshield, tear in the back of the seat and a window regulator that doesn't work. while i don't see them getting what they are asking, the fact that they think they can get anything close to that much money is surprising.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d...653986241.html
I only bought my truck for 800 dollars. Check my profile picture. The last owner is a friend of mines and she’s an honest soul. My truck needed some tlc and I just installed a new upper radiator hose and clamps. I’m currently rebuilding my Harman Kardon midrange speakers, which I’ll post a how to on shortly when my parts arrive. The 3 amigos are on with code 1590 rough road, but my abs still works. I’ll be doing repairs or cleaning when winter comes. At 115 degrees Fahrenheit for you foreign folks here, it’s simply too hot to work outside.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie2333
Absolutely! People don’t understand that maintenance is key to longevity in any case. For example I use full synthetic oil, transmission fluid, gear oil and power steering fluid. My truck was one owner and babied, and fed synthetic fluids, while dealer maintained. Every recall on the nhtsa.org vin check has been completed. My plan is to switch to valvoline synthetic tranny fluid (dexron VI/6) with some Lucas stop slip, like I use with all my cars, and synthetic gear oil for the transfrcase and differentials and keep on stepping!
You may want to consider Castrol Transyd - its equivalent spec to recommended LR/ZF fluid and has some life benefits - you can read up on it in Duramax/Allison forums.

I had a friend who was a german powertain engineer for BMW at the plant in Spartanburg, discussed the ZF trans with him extensively (he did all the development and testing on the new ones). Normal life expectations on our ZF's are well in excess of 300k with normal maintenance, with Transyd I would expect even longer.

BTW, sounds like you got a great truck, congrats!

No Doubt (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 11:29 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

To the original poster, the title of your post gives me douche chills. Not everybody wants to wrench on their vehicles, and not being willing to or not having the time/ knowledge to do so does not make them a “poser”.

if they can afford to have a shop do the maintenance and upgrades, they are actually more “hardcore” than most as everyday the feel their hardcore-ness in their bottom line.

to be a real, responsible, proud Land Rover owner does not mean you have to be a mechanic.

The following 2 users liked this post by abran:
KernowDiscovery (08-12-2018), Sixpack577 (08-13-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 01:48 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
They are becoming rare and people are willing to pay for a good one
I was just offered 8500 cdn for my 03 and was going to sell but I couldn't, turned down 2 buyers

heck called the landrover dealer asking for a oil separator and it pcv Guy had no idea
told me these are now classic vehicles and we don't carry and it stock parts lol

really
I am getting allot more compliments out and about ... and constant looks from Jeeps.

Some consumer reports thing said 2% of recently purchased cars on the road are paid in cash. The rest go on the credit card. So thanks to easy credit car payments - where I live everyone and their Grandma's mailman drives a Jeep now. It's monkey see monkey do. I have no interest in driving what everyone else does. I would rather have Rover repair payments than Jeep payments.

True keeping up the Jones story - the neighbor here sees my Rover then ... goes out and buys a brand new fully modded Jeep and parks it across from my modded Rover. They can't afford the repair costs but they have a credit card.

Last edited by 99FLDISCOII; 08-12-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:58 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
To the original poster, the title of your post gives me douche chills. Not everybody wants to wrench on their vehicles, and not being willing to or not having the time/ knowledge to do so does not make them a “poser”.

if they can afford to have a shop do the maintenance and upgrades, they are actually more “hardcore” than most as everyday the feel their hardcore-ness in their bottom line.

to be a real, responsible, proud Land Rover owner does not mean you have to be a mechanic.

Yes I am a bit of a douche but in all seriousness I consider a poser putting on airs to be more of a douche. The point is you have people purchasing the cars because they are "cheap" then cannot afford to A) pay for repairs or B) learn to fix them. I am still learning these cars but the point is if they don't have the time or money for TLC the cars require - they should NOT BUY THE CARS.

This is why the cars are getting scrapped. I plan I keeping this car forever and some parts (such as the crank shaft position sensor heat shield) are now obsolete. Nobody had it. How am I going to keep a car with this much technology and electric gremlins without parts?

I saw a person paying with an EBT card. An EBT card in USA is a food stamp card. WELFARE. You have to be poor to get the card. Now why does this person go out and buy a Rover for $1000? To pose. They drive it 12 months then can't/wont fix it.. so it goes to the junkyard.

I never said you have to be a mechanic. I am still learning on the cars. Yes of course if you have the money you are not a poser. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who put on airs because a Land Rover is a recognizable lux brand - then they cannot afford to TLC the cars which then drys up the supply.

Sorry I am just personally irritated at people like this. Pretenders. $40,000 yr $80,000 in debt driving a BMW.

Last edited by 99FLDISCOII; 08-12-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:04 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

OMG, somebody hurry and dial...………………..

Old 08-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FLDISCOII
Yes I am a bit of a douche

I saw a person paying with an EBT card. An EBT card in USA is a food stamp card. WELFARE. You have to be poor to get the card. Now why does this person go out and buy a Rover for $1000? To pose. They drive it 12 months then can't/wont fix it.. so it goes to the junkyard.

Sorry I am just personally irritated at people like this. Pretenders. $40,000 yr $80,000 in debt driving a BMW.
Just my 2 cents but I think you're making a lot of assumptions about this woman whom, it appears, you've never even had a conversation with. It's very easy for all of us to make generalizations and judgements of others based on what we observe in our daily activities. What you need to remember is that everyone is going thru some trial in life and kindness is key. I was unemployed once and it sucked. I thought I did 'the right thing' in life, what my parents wanted from me, to go to college, get a degree, start working at an early age, buy a home, drive a reasonably well maintained vehicle and be a respectable part of society. I made a decent enough wage to buy a mustang, support myself and 'live the dream'. In 2002 we were hit hard with a recession and I found myself without a job. I was 32 years old, was told by my parents that I should sell my home, live with them and go back to school for another degree. Apparently one degree in engineering was not enough or perhaps they thought that there were be more opportunities elsewhere.. I do not know.

What I do know is that I resisted. I scraped by with my self respect, driving my mustang with a big ol' dent in it because some asshat decided to pull-out ****-eyed and put their front end in my driver's side door at the grocery store. Did I have the money to fix it at the time? NO. Did it bother me that I was driving around with a huge *** dent in my car door? YES. It's amazing how other's can look at you and judge based on something you have no control over.

I did everything that I could to stay afloat. For over 2 years I did everything that I could to keep my home and my self-respect. I collected unemployment, when that ran out I sold items on ebay. I answered an ad in the newspaper for a guy who cleaned Applebee's at night and wanted a 3 week vacation. He hired me to fill in for him because I asked the most questions and seemed genuinely interested in what he did. That was grueling work. Cleaning up the slop on the kitchen floor on my hands and knees, pulling raw chicken out of the drain holes and hosing everything down. And yes, I also cleaned the bathrooms, pulled every table out and vacuumed underneath them, mopped and by the time I was done at 3:30 in the morning I would crawl home. One night I was pulled over by the police for failure to stop. I'm pretty sure I did stop but I was pulled over anyway probably because it was late at night after the bar's closed and I was driving a red sports car with a dent in it.

I worked as a barista, did a six week contract position at an engineering consulting firm and finally took a position as a framing shop manager because I couldn't find full time work in my profession. My friend, who was a chemist, moved in with me as he lost his job and guess what? He had an EBT card. He had 2 sons to support and he didn't like taking assistance from the government but the situation called for him to feed his kids and work was hard to come by.

Crappy situations happen to good people. Who are you to take one look at someone and make a generalization that you have your poop in a group but someone that is using an EBT card is a low life poser if they drive a run down Land Rover? You definitely don't know the situation that led that woman to be in that position so please don't go making judgments until you have walked in their shoes.

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 08-12-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Sixpack577 (08-13-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Yep, pretty extraordinarily gift you have there...judging folks entire life by a moment in time...or their current situation. Yes, quite the gift.

Had a woman show up at work driving a old bimmer. Everyone in her department went on and on about "why would she need to work...if she could afford a car like that"?

Well, after everyone stopped flapping their judgemental gums long enough to find out her story...they learned that her husband had just lost his job, they had four kids...and she was doing what needed to be done to make ends meet. As she drove her bimmer to do it.

Brian.

The following 2 users liked this post by The Deputy:
KernowDiscovery (08-13-2018), Sixpack577 (08-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Posers Driving Land Rovers