Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Posers Driving Land Rovers

Old 08-13-2018, 08:34 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

KD is absolutely right, 'you cannot judge a book by it's cover', and indeed, you cannot judge anyone by the car they drive. I have a pal who has a very, very expensive FN, in fact it's a world leader amongst others and his daily drive is a 5 year old Skoda estate car, why, because he's not impressed by cash. Many have their own reasons for driving new and old cars, who cares, not me for one. If I was bothered about new tarty looking trucks I'd reside in a town or city not in the rural area where most cars are old and dilapidated. c'est la vie!

PS: I have two engineering degrees and an engineering management masters degree but that doesn't affect my everyday judgement and I'm certainly no snob, inverted or otherwise!

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 08-13-2018 at 08:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OffroadFrance:
KernowDiscovery (08-13-2018), Sixpack577 (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Just my 2 cents but I think you're making a lot of assumptions about this woman whom, it appears, you've never even had a conversation with. It's very easy for all of us to make generalizations and judgements of others based on what we observe in our daily activities. What you need to remember is that everyone is going thru some trial in life and kindness is key. I was unemployed once and it sucked. I thought I did 'the right thing' in life, what my parents wanted from me, to go to college, get a degree, start working at an early age, buy a home, drive a reasonably well maintained vehicle and be a respectable part of society. I made a decent enough wage to buy a mustang, support myself and 'live the dream'. In 2002 we were hit hard with a recession and I found myself without a job. I was 32 years old, was told by my parents that I should sell my home, live with them and go back to school for another degree. Apparently one degree in engineering was not enough or perhaps they thought that there were be more opportunities elsewhere.. I do not know.

What I do know is that I resisted. I scraped by with my self respect, driving my mustang with a big ol' dent in it because some asshat decided to pull-out ****-eyed and put their front end in my driver's side door at the grocery store. Did I have the money to fix it at the time? NO. Did it bother me that I was driving around with a huge *** dent in my car door? YES. It's amazing how other's can look at you and judge based on something you have no control over.

I did everything that I could to stay afloat. For over 2 years I did everything that I could to keep my home and my self-respect. I collected unemployment, when that ran out I sold items on ebay. I answered an ad in the newspaper for a guy who cleaned Applebee's at night and wanted a 3 week vacation. He hired me to fill in for him because I asked the most questions and seemed genuinely interested in what he did. That was grueling work. Cleaning up the slop on the kitchen floor on my hands and knees, pulling raw chicken out of the drain holes and hosing everything down. And yes, I also cleaned the bathrooms, pulled every table out and vacuumed underneath them, mopped and by the time I was done at 3:30 in the morning I would crawl home. One night I was pulled over by the police for failure to stop. I'm pretty sure I did stop but I was pulled over anyway probably because it was late at night after the bar's closed and I was driving a red sports car with a dent in it.

I worked as a barista, did a six week contract position at an engineering consulting firm and finally took a position as a framing shop manager because I couldn't find full time work in my profession. My friend, who was a chemist, moved in with me as he lost his job and guess what? He had an EBT card. He had 2 sons to support and he didn't like taking assistance from the government but the situation called for him to feed his kids and work was hard to come by.

Crappy situations happen to good people. Who are you to take one look at someone and make a generalization that you have your poop in a group but someone that is using an EBT card is a low life poser if they drive a run down Land Rover? You definitely don't know the situation that led that woman to be in that position so please don't go making judgments until you have walked in their shoes.
Hear, hear!
And much respect to you mamm

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 10:42 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Yep, single mom, on welfare, driving a worn out LR.
Yeah, shame on her. Buying a vehicle she can afford, not having it in stellar shape, well...because she can't afford to fix it.
It's people like her that are sending all the good D2s to the crusher.
Do you hear yourself?
You laugh at the douche comment too, no, that wasn't a joke...it was fitting.
You laugh at another member in another post about it not being true how easy it is to pin liners.
I posted that it was, and that I have done it.
Then you want someone to pin yours.
You also think a cps is discontinued and don't know what to do about that in the future.
I ask you, who really looks like a poser?
Normally, I don't like to talk about things aside from the mechanical/electrical problem at hand.
But this needed saying.
Nobody likes a "better than you" attitude...especially when you need LR help yourself.
How about a more respectful attitude?
I cannot/will not speak for others, but your attitude has been addressed here by several helpful and intelligent people, whether their expertise be in LR's or not.
You might want to pick up your torch...it's awful close to the bridge.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sixpack577:
KernowDiscovery (08-13-2018), OverRover (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 03:19 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Six, I think it's safe to assume this guy has a very hearty breakfast before he posts.

The following 2 users liked this post by OverRover:
KernowDiscovery (08-13-2018), Sixpack577 (08-13-2018)