Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Reasons why I dont like Asian vehicles and why I own a Land Rover (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/reasons-why-i-dont-like-asian-vehicles-why-i-own-land-rover-64655/)

TRIARII 01-25-2014 09:31 AM

Reasons why I dont like Asian vehicles and why I own a Land Rover

Having enjoyed the first season of Combat Zone and a big fan of other great Military films/Series like Band of Brothers, The Pacific and Wartime documentaries, I'm frequently reminded of the reasons why I dislike Asian vehicles and why I will not ever buy one.

I consider how many battles our soldiers fought in the Asian theater. Japan, North Korea, Vietnam and even China. How many brave soldiers lost their lives or were left behind over there. I consider how many US tax dollars were spent on these wars. Then I look at the tensions threatening worldwide stability right now such as the recent China-Japan dispute over small islands and China over extending its territory borders and the potential for a second Korean war as North Korea builds a mass army, develops nuclear missiles and threatens to attack US and South Korean forces etc.

My conclusion is that I have no interest in supporting these Countries by purchasing their vehicles. I view it as a big slap in the face to all those Soldiers who gave their lives while fighting in those regions. I once herd a saying, something like "one day they will dominate the west" and it would seem as though there is evidence of that when we look at how and where most items are made and where they are shipped from. Most electronics we use today are from Asia and a ever larger market of vehicles come from Asia. Factor in all the hacking cyber attacks originating in those regions and a clear picture becomes visible. But equally subject to interpretation. When I hear the brand name "Toyota" I always think back the the World War 2 Japanese Admiral Soemu Toyoda. And lets not forget about "Mitsubishi" who produced the Mitsubishi A6M ("Zero") which made its name known throughout the US Navy as Zero planes rigged with bombs noise dived until US Naval ships. So no there is no way in hell I could sit inside a Mitsubishi and not feel like a traitor!

Other reasons why I wont buy an Asian vehicle is due to how they look and feel inside and out. I do not doubt their reliability nor their impressive fuel economy and Ive heard many rumors from Honda and Toyota fans about how long those cars last with minimum maintenance. But I cant put enough empasis on the looks and feel. To much cheap plastic and their designs honestly do not appeal to me. and even though they may be reliable I do not feel them as being really utilitarian. Seeing so many on the road today I would feel like a clone with no self identity if I were to buy one myself.

Why I own a Land Rover. Britain probably our most important and culturally significant ally and mother country as it is, Ive always been very fond of the England. Naturally my love of their vehicles grew with it. I like to stand out a bit in the crowd, I like to take the road less traveled. When I choose a vehicle, it has to say something about me and it has to express to my peers my views. So the vehicle has to have significance as well as character and it must stand out in stock form. I also need something thats more than just a show. I look at the BMW X5 and I think what a joke. The X-5 might have been inspired by Land Rover or at least Id like to think. I need something that is very capable in raw form. Engine issues aside, when these vehicles were brand new they had to have been some of the most capable mass produced vehicles in the world. When they age they break down and require maintenance and lots of care but thats fine with me because I dont mind learning along the way. The way I see it, people with reliable cars like Toyota and Honda dont often have to worry about vehicle maintenance and I bet they dont even need a tool set. I see that as a mixed blessing because reliable cars dont encourage nor teach their owners how to do any mechanic work themselves. Instead they just bring them to Jiffy Lube or the dealership to have the mechanics work on them. Break downs set aside, at least with dedicated Land Rover owners, we are equipted with portable tool sets and we are far more likely to figure out the cause of a breakdown and maybe even fix it whereas everyone else would just call a tow truck and send it to the shop and pay $$$$$ for parts and labor. So in my mind no vehicle brand fits this function more than a Land Rover. That is why I own one and that is why I will continue to buy them. One day Id like to have a family of Land Rovers in my yard. All in good shape.

Just my opinion and as such these views do not reflect the views of this forum, its admin or fellow members. And for the record 2 of my siblings are of strong Asian descent so no need to try and bash me as being a Racist. Call it instead - Patriotism!

pinkytoe69 01-25-2014 10:26 AM

Im not sure how buying a japanese vehicle is a slap in the face of troops.

Any one of them still on the road was likely produced well after the US essentially neutered the country and made them our b!tch.

ArmyRover 01-25-2014 12:58 PM

As a Soldier I could careless what you buy. If you want to get really technical about it China was our "ally" in theory in WWII so that should be ok then. Japan was our Ally in Operation Iraqi Freedom....

If you are going on that line of thought though, yes the Brits shed blood next to American Soldier's in many conflicts but if your Patriotic values are what is driving your purchasing decisions you should be buying American made vehicles, like the Camary.

:D

acg 01-25-2014 01:00 PM

Triar,

Land Rover is now owned by Tata Motors (an Asian company). Times have changed since WW2.

dusty1 01-25-2014 01:09 PM

Pretty sure our first military had to fight the British. With That rationale, Can't even go with American made because split up and fought each other.
Might have to just walk...barefoot of course.
;)

OffroadFrance 01-25-2014 01:35 PM

Hi TRIAR, although I appreciate and respect your sentiments regards the middle and far east wars and boycotting their manufactured goods, but FWIW I don't agree with them. I lost family in the world wars both in combat and in Auschwitz and other death camps, however, I believe one must move on and forward but although not forget the past, one has to understand what happened and come to terms with it. Since those days of combat and atrocities I have worked in Saudi, the Yemen and Germany. I was born in late 1945 and therefore not directly involved but I was indoctrinated by older family generations about their past history. I have come to terms and learned to live with the past and it may be the only way of gaining some mental peace and not harbouring bitterness which can be all consuming. Different people see things in different perspectives but it's doesn't mean they are wrong, or indeed one is wrong themselves as times change. I bought a Mitsubishi Pajero a few years ago, albeit an old one, but I never consider the origins and who designed and made it as to me it's a great 4x4.

As far as the US and UK relationship which has been tried, tested and prevailed for a very long time, yes, I agree and say amen to that and may it last for a long time to come.

I also worked for American companies, Aramco, Foster Wheeler, AH Robins but to name a few and also spent time in Dallas, Houston and Richmond including visiting many other cities and states (the tourist bit yeah) but I enjoyed myself in the US both working and visiting but there are a couple of touristy places places I didn't go a bundle on but I won't mention those in case someone on here lives there (diplomacy calling).

I'm pleased you enjoy the Landrovers and they have great heritage all over the world and I have been a fan since I owned my first Series 2 in the 1970's. I have owned many cars from many parts of the world some American, many British, one or two German and the odd Japanese. I also have owned Ducati's, Norton's, Triumph, BSA, AJS, Yamaha's, Suzuki and now I run a Honda sports bike. I can't honestly fault too many of them in their era's and context but the Honda has to be amongst the best.

You look a relatively youngish guy TRIAR but as one ages one then mollifies their outlook and the dislikes, anger and hatred dissipates which I hope will happen to many because it jades ones outlook and affects their lives. Some never change and often harden their outlook and become embittered about things they have absolutely no control over which is very sad. Life is too short for harbouring prejudices and regrets.

dusty1 01-25-2014 01:45 PM

Offroad, you reminded me that I still harbor a pretty strong dislike for the Zener diode and lucus electronics on the bikes...

jafir 01-25-2014 01:47 PM

Most "American made" automobiles:

http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/1196...s-of-2013.html

antichrist 01-25-2014 02:46 PM

LMAO.
Let's see....Land Rover, started in the nation that burned Washington, DC. DII introduced by BMW.
Ignoring the post WWI actions by England, France and the US that set the stage for WWII, Korea and Vietnam, the US lost more soldiers in the European theater in WWII than they lost in the Pacific theater, Korea and Vietnam combined.

I used to laugh at my mom for refusing to buy Japanese for so long, but she knew people who died at Pearl Harbor so I could sort of understand. But my dad, career Navy starting before WWII, who narrowly missed the attack on Pearl Harbor (he likely would have died) and had a brother who died there, got over it and moved on and didn't have any conflicts buying Japanese cars.

And no, I don't think you're racist. It's just a very superficial knowledge of history.

Dan7 01-25-2014 02:50 PM

I'm in the military and am apparently supporting the Nazi's by owning a VW GTI. Now that I think about it, so's my 04 Rover since BMW owned them that year...CRAP!