Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Truly Pissed........

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts
Default Truly Pissed........

Okay, so I'm looking online one day and this lovely 04 pops up for sale with an ARB, Hella Lights, Warn Winch, low miles, super clean for 5K. I contact the seller within an hour of the ad being listed on CL & their website. I tell them I'm extremely interested and to please send me some frame pics and under the hood pics. They do & I ask them what they'd take in cash. They tell me they can't deal unless I'm onsite. I inform them I'm working and I'm nearly 5HR away. They said to just check their website every morning and to email them which I did. I was told it was still for sale, so I told them I was taking a day off and I'd be there the following day at noon with cash in hand. I left them my phone number and told them to let me know if anything changed......

Well I drove non stop, got there and the only vehicle missing from the lot is the 04 Discovery.... I walk inside and tell them Frank is here from 5HR away to look at the LR. The kid at the desk looks at me and tells me a young woman walked in a 9:31 (they open at 9:30) and that she's buying it....... I wanted to scream so loud the frigging walls would blow off the building. I kept my cool and politely said umm I spoke with two people here and informed you 2 days ago of my plans.

The kid goes well did you leave a deposit?? I said I tried to leave ya'll with a 5K deposit, but I was told to be here in person which I now am. The woman calls from the shop she took it to and is trying to wheel n deal it down to god only knows what. He then **** blocks me and says well the dude from houston is here finally and he wants to drive it home. The woman just changes her tone to oh no I'm buying it the price is fine...

He then ask me so how much did you bring in cash. I said 5K like I told you, and I have a Uhaul reservation for a trailer like I mentioned in the emails. She apparently was getting it for 3800.00. You could tell he wanted my 5K, but he let her slip in front of me.

She shows up and is actually just as upset as I am. She said to the guy you should have told me someone from houston was coming to look at it. He replied with well people tell me lots of things.... She said well apparently he wasn't pulling your chain because he's here! She whipped out the $$$$ and that was that. I said well if you change your mind and that D2 is to much for you here is my # and I might be interested in buying it from you for 4500.00.

I walked outside, didn't even dare look at the LR (I knew how nice it was), and drove 5HR back home.

His last words to me were you should have given me a deposit. I kindly said sir I was never given that option by you and all you told me to do was contact you which I did, and then you sold it at 9:35am knowing that I was just 1.5HR from my house and you NEVER called me or told me anything until I was standing here in your lobby.

She later called me and felt horrible and I might be getting the ARB/Winch off of it. Besides that a damn nice LR got away from me due to an (_!_).... I don't blame the woman at all she had no idea.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

That sucks!

Good news...you could save up to 30% from Geico

Old 02-23-2018, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yep it truly does... Oh well wasn't meant to be. Apparently I just wanted to drive 3/4 across TX with 5K in cash in a bank bag for fun today I guess.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:32 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Best4x4, don't get too mad, another one will be along sooner or later. I bet you don't want to deal with this ah anyways and if it goes wrong imagine the hassle getting them to fix it. Life is full of ups and downs but it's a pity you had to drive 10 hours there are back to find out.

PS: I used to work in Houston and also Richmond quite a few years ago, Houston was good fun at that time, I worked for a huge US oil company there with their HQ in Oklahoma.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I would’ve made a scene. Big time. That’s a ****ty deal.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

I was trying to make sure I got a LR that wasn't effected by good old Harvey & basically thru the emails I made an "appointment" thru their website per their request and was told absolutely nada zip nothing about the silly 100.00 deposit. I did as they asked and they just ignored it when the beautiful blond walked in basically.

D2's are a dime a dozen, but this one was setup EXACTLY how I wanted an 04. 03-04 ARB, Warn XD9000, Hella Rally Lights, OME lift, OEM DVD system with all headsets/remotes (and it worked which my daughter would have enjoyed), clean inside/out, ran excellent, and was extremely well taken care of by the previous owner.

Last edited by Best4x4; 02-24-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:05 PM

Unfortunately I also think you were 'set up' and the blond worked with/for them and they were hoping to extract some more cash from you by you upping your offer above the asking price, it didn't work. As stated, there will be more D2's in the future to buy but hopefully with more reputable salesmen, IMHO many car salesmen are shysters and crooks just some are worse than others. Never trust a car salesman as they only want your money and to offload their non sellers onto you.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Oh I don’t trust em as far as I can spit. She wasn’t working with em as I sadly stood there & watched the D2 crank, purr to life, backup, and drive away. Seller has listed it SOLD & all ad’s are gone.

They just didn’t honor their “Setup Appointment” that I filled out 2 days earlier with all my info and my time/date. Nor did they communicate with me in a professional manor whatsoever!! I wrote them a nice, but pissed off letter and let them know I was not happy with how they ran their business and they need to work on their communications.

I’ve already put the $$$$ back in the bank, and unless one drives up in my yard or I find one by word of mouth thru a friend no more BS online sales for me. People are just not honorable anymore & I for one am tired of it.

Last edited by Best4x4; 02-24-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:38 AM

Hi Best4x4, if it were me just put it down to experience, as I said, many vehicle dealers are ah's, there is no point having a tantrum or making a scene as they have, the car dealers, been there many times before and are hardened to customer complaints. I have a maximum travel limit of 50 miles to view vehicles being sold and stick rigidly to that code. You live and learn as time goes on, disappointments regarding vehicles are commonplace in this world. Something else will turn up sooner or later.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

With many vehicles being marketed to online customers: others need to be aware of your experiences with this dealer. I am not sure where or how you found this listing but you might be able to leave a review and rate the dealer at the source of the listing. The dealers site might also have a place for reviews that if noting else will receive notice buy someone at the company that will take notice before being removed.

One of my employees agreed on a deal for a car and made arrangements with a salesman, flew 1000 miles north, got to the dealership as scheduled and found out the car had been sold earlier that day. They tried to put him in a different car but he traveled there because that was the combination he wanted. This was a big mess but after about a week he received reimbursement for airfares, time away from work and meals if the reviews would be amended.

On the other hand: I have traveled from one end of the country to the other buying vehicles with success. Even a few from Europe and Japan. But these have been mostly from sources that cater to online business.

Sorry to hear about the issues but just chalk it up to it wasn’t meant to be. You also might get a call in a few weeks asking if you are still interested as I will now need head gaskets and has the tres amigo present.

Quick Reply: Truly Pissed........