Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Welding advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 04:25 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welding advice

I want to learn how to weld. I did it in high school for about a year but that was almost 10 years ago. My plan is just to buy a book on amazon and look for a used welder on Craigslist. Between practice and youtube videos I figure I can pick it up after a while.
I don't know much about welders and I certainly don't know how to spot a good deal; does anyone here have any purchase advice for me?

Old 10-31-2017, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts
The following users liked this post:
bowser (11-01-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 05:45 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by bowser
I want to learn how to weld. I did it in high school for about a year but that was almost 10 years ago. My plan is just to buy a book on amazon and look for a used welder on Craigslist. Between practice and youtube videos I figure I can pick it up after a while.
I don't know much about welders and I certainly don't know how to spot a good deal; does anyone here have any purchase advice for me?
Depending on the kit you buy, Stick, MIG or TIG, take a look at the overall condition both externally and internally. Then get the vendor to demo the welder to you but remember to wear a mask also. Stick welding is now old hat so venture for MIG or TIG which is more flexible and far easier on thinner metals. Ensure you get all the necessary gases and equipment before you venture to weld. You need proper gloves, welding mask (automatic is far easier to use) and a leather welding jacket and apron if you intend doing a lot of welding. You can buy good secondhand welders but be aware of what you are buying, these days Stick and TIG can be bought as combined welders. Good luck and have some fun.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I'd look for something like this on CL or buy it outright -https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgJk4PD_BwE You won't have to worry about gas with flux core wire but you will get far more splatter with it. Generally a low amp/thin sheet steel welder is pretty good for general light welding. TIG is more expensive in any config and you'll need the shielding gas to go along with and like Offload mentioned TIG welders are dual personality - Stick. They generally pull more amps, 30A at your wall outlet so most don't have a 30A circuit handy..... Stick is not dead, it's still used on all heavy gauge steel work. Anything carbon over 1/4" I'm still using stick on. Stainless is TIG and if your good at not running too fast with MIG it can tackle pretty heavy gauge as well. I use all three to this day for work and play.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:28 PM
Camel Trophy

One other thing..... you'll want a decent 3" or 4" grinder, get one that's variable speed. Grab cutoff wheels and a flap wheel for finish work.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Excellent thread, thank you. I have a similar situation in my garage with 110V being the only option - no box; did that work out ok for you? what did you end up with?

Old 11-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I ended up being lazy and moving. Now I have a 220 outlet and haven't restarted the search.

The hobart 140 was going to be my choice though.

Though the new vulcan line by Harbor Freight is looking very promising

Last edited by ArmyRover; 11-01-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I'd look for something like this on CL or buy it outright -https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgJk4PD_BwE You won't have to worry about gas with flux core wire but you will get far more splatter with it. Generally a low amp/thin sheet steel welder is pretty good for general light welding. TIG is more expensive in any config and you'll need the shielding gas to go along with and like Offload mentioned TIG welders are dual personality - Stick. They generally pull more amps, 30A at your wall outlet so most don't have a 30A circuit handy..... Stick is not dead, it's still used on all heavy gauge steel work. Anything carbon over 1/4" I'm still using stick on. Stainless is TIG and if your good at not running too fast with MIG it can tackle pretty heavy gauge as well. I use all three to this day for work and play.
Good find, thank you - I've heard good things about Lincoln. Based on what you're saying, I think something like this would be a good start for me. Flux core is probably the way for me to go just because it takes one variable out of the equation. Assuming the increased splatter is because the flux core doesn't do as good a job shielding as the gas does? are there any other big differences between flux core and gas?
Maybe once I get used to something basic, I can get a TIG/Stick setup and see how I do with that.

Originally Posted by ihscouts
One other thing..... you'll want a decent 3" or 4" grinder, get one that's variable speed. Grab cutoff wheels and a flap wheel for finish work.
NEW TOOLS! I have an electric one but it's garbage. I just got a new air compressor from a (now defunct) Sears Auto though. I love having an excuse to add to my inventory of toys

Old 11-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Camel Trophy

Splatter is caused by the flux basically exploding but while doing that it does an excellent job of making the shielding gas. It's like boiling water, bubbles but makes steam. Requires more post cleaning than with gas, gas is strike, flow and go, done. I use a TIG lunchbox at home on a 110V 30A circuit in my pole barn. It's a dedicated circuit. I can fine tune my heat with it far better than is possible with a MIG. Thinner tungsten used on really thin gauge. Very precise.

The following users liked this post:
bowser (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 04:44 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

The first and most important thing re: welding is knowing who you are
It's your choice!

Quick Reply: Welding advice