Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Your Disco as your family car (https://landroverforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/your-disco-your-family-car-30530/)

Antmen 04-19-2010 07:12 AM

Your Disco as your family car

We now use our "new" 04 Disco SE as our family car.
When asked what they like about it, my kids (4 and under) say,
"We're so HIGH!"

Yeah - I like that, too.

My wife, on the other hand, has grown to like it, but truth be told, at first she wasn't thrilled about a much higher vehicle and a relatively tighter suspension (when compared to our previous 07 minivan.)

How about you? Is your Land Rover your family vehicle and what does "the gang" think of it?

-Anthony

EDIT: I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. My intention is to gauge family's personal reaction and opinions on your LR versus evaluating the LR itself.

Spike555 04-19-2010 09:41 AM

My family also loves my DI.
It is no longer the family car but it is the daily driver for me and the preferred vehicle for trips.
Any time we travel and we see a trail or someplace out of the way we make a detour, never mind being late, we detour anyway.
And for Christmas to grandma's, it is the ONLY way to travel, blizzards no problem, driving snowmobile trails to get to the best sledding hills back in the woods, no problem.
Anything and anywhere it will get us there...and back.

Spike555 04-19-2010 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 173581)
My family also loves my DI.
It is no longer the family car but it is the daily driver for me and the preferred vehicle for trips.
Any time we travel and we see a trail or someplace out of the way we make a detour, never mind being late, we detour anyway.
And for Christmas to grandma's, it is the ONLY way to travel, blizzards no problem, driving snowmobile trails to get to the best sledding hills back in the woods, no problem.
Anything and anywhere it will get us there...and back.

EDIT:the family car is a Volvo station wagon, that is the only way to travel in the city, 25mpg city compared to 12.

Antmen 04-19-2010 12:14 PM

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. Since getting our DII, it's like I want to skip the Summer and rush into Winter! Weird.

I could definitely appreciate having another vehicle for city driving. We're in North Jersey and my wife works in NYC so, for now, she takes it in every day. So far though, the fuel hasn't been horrible. With the same drive 5 times a week, we're doing about $0.20/mile (non-scientific sampling of me taking into account the cost of refill w/ premium divided by mileage b/w refills, averaged out over the past 3 weeks). However, we're looking into getting a Honda Odyssey for use during the week and the maddening stop & go traffic in this area. If you ever drive across the George Washington Bridge then down the Harlem River Dr/FDR Dr in Manhattan every day M-F - in the mornings - you'll know what I'm taking about.

-Anthony

CopperMtnGuy 04-19-2010 04:52 PM

My LR3 is, my son, wife, and I love everything about it, my daughter doesn't care...

tati25 04-20-2010 11:34 AM

Well I don't think the LR is in its essence a family car... I feel for a LR when it's only used to drive the kids back and forth to school. I think every Land Rover should go off-road at least once..

Spike555 04-20-2010 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by tati25 (Post 173785)
Well I don't think the LR is in its essence a family car... I feel for a LR when it's only used to drive the kids back and forth to school. I think every Land Rover should go off-road at least once..

I agree 100%, its in their blood, just like a bird dog needs to hunt a Rover needs to off road.
We do that as much as we can, we went on a picnic Easter weekend after church, loaded up the kids and the Coleman cooler and headed to the woods.
Spent the afternoon searching for a open field to eat.
It was a great day and the kids LOVE it.

CopperMtnGuy 04-20-2010 06:38 PM

Mine will be off road soon enough....just want to make a few payments on it first...lol... :D

Antmen 04-20-2010 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by tati25 (Post 173785)

Agreed. That's its nature.
I simply wanted to get your family member's opinions on your LR, because it's definitely not your average vehicle. I've found that it's a love/hate thing with some initial haters having been charmed by the beast.

-Anthony

tati25 04-23-2010 05:47 AM

That's what I mean! You don't need to plan and make a big deal about going off-road. You can just take a small detour from the paved roads and have a lovely day in the country-side.