Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

1999 Range Rover HSE

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 07:45 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Range Rover HSE

Hi Friends! I'm new to forum but hoping some of you rover experts can help me! We have a 1999 HSE, dark green with 160K miles on it, located in UT. We are in the midst of trading it in but between needing to keep it a bit longer for our sons to use over the summer and knowing the dealers never give good value wanted to know if it was wise to trade it in or sell it after the summer. We just don't want to be holding on to it for another year. I wanted to get some advice on value as it's hard to find many this old for sale. It was originally a lease so we are the second owners, having owned it from 2001. It's never been in an accident, been garaged, etc with mimimal scratches but the AC is not working (blows air but doesn't get cold and would be $1000 to fix), and we don't lock it any longer because once we couldn't get the fob to unlock it and the alarm went off. It has new tires but brakes are getting low. Does anyone out there have any idea of what we could get for it? It really is a nice car but obviously is old and has a few scratches but interior leather is all great, etc. Would love any advice! Thank so much in advance!

Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

if you can, post up a few pics ...and the mileage, maybe a starting price too. Most "dealers" arent likely to give you much ...mostly due to the age of the vehicle....but a Rover enthusiast (it's an addiction) might do a lot better

Old 05-19-2019, 10:53 AM
8th Gear

thanks xceller8! I need to get more photos but right now I just have this one from when my husband dropped it off at the dealer Friday thinking he was going to trade it in. The dealer was only giving us $1K which seemed low but then again it's an old car. We have since asked them to hold the keys until my husband can make it back up to to grab the car since we realized it would be nice to have the car through July when we are out in UT as a family allowing our teenage boys access to a car without using a new car. (We live in FL but keep this car at my folks place for when we are vacationing there). We plan on getting rid of it end of July. It's been a great car, runs like a tank but we are not mechanics and just don't have the time to deal with the issues that come along with owning an older car and certainly don't want to spend our vacation time dealing with car troubles that arise. Just want to be educated to know if it's best to just unload it without the hassle of trying to sell it or sell it and realistically know what it's value is. Online I can find comparable cars selling for $2500-6500!. I also would hate for anyone to end up buying it and having something big go wrong a few months down the road...but have also been told there are people that hunt after the parts and the value of those may exceed the trade in value! Any advice?

Old 05-19-2019, 08:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I would estimate it to worth between $4500 - $6000 depending on service history. If you post up the service history and any current defects we can give you a better estimate. More pics will help also. Given it is a Utah vehicle, be sure to take some photos of the frame underneath the rear of the truck by the trailer hitch area. Rust can be a problem on these years and the condition of the frame will affect this

Old 05-19-2019, 09:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

if that were here in NY, you could easily get $5000.....if it runs as good as it looks you should do well.....dont let the dealer steal it for $1000, I wish you were closer LOL

Old 05-20-2019, 10:49 AM
8th Gear

that much?!? We'd be thrilled with 3k. I was thinking realistically maybe 2K. It's been garaged it's entire life. We have a record of all the work done over it's life. New tires. But as I mentioned, the ac doesn't blow cold aand it was going to be a costly repair. And the locks don't work. Of course my fear is we retireve it from the dealer and drive away and something big goes out. My husband will pick it back up later this week and will get photos up for your opinions. THank you.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:51 AM
8th Gear

Oh, and it's NEVER been in an accident! lol!

Old 05-20-2019, 11:19 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

4.0 or 4.6 engine? Still have the airbag suspension or has it been converted to coil springs?

Old 05-20-2019, 11:23 AM
8th Gear

4.6 hse and we had work on hydrolic sensor i believe it was. Would have to check. But never changed system like most do. Probably should have?

Old 05-21-2019, 02:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm sure someone will quickly buy this. Post some pics of the interior, engine bay and underside.

Quick Reply: 1999 Range Rover HSE