Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

A Warning to Anyone Selling Rover Parts on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:40 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts
Default A Warning to Anyone Selling Rover Parts on eBay

Look out for Adam Smith, 33641 Blue Lantern St. Apt. B, Dana Point, CA 92629-3741.

This guy bought a cam sensor (ERR6170) from my eBay Store. He had it a week and contacted me saying "he made a mistake" and would like to return the part. As a Top Rated Seller I am obligated to accept returns and did so. When the part arrived from Adam Smith it was not the part that had been shipped to him. The part, which was the actual part pictured in the eBay listing was ERR6170. He returned NSC100840. NOT THE PART I SENT HIM.

Clearly, he installed the part I sent him and he returned the bad part he removed from his truck.

After spending close to an hour on the phone with a variety of eBay reps I finally got someone who appreciated what had happened and said she would make sure I would not have to refund the buyer anything. She closed the case.

I got an email from eBay a short while later telling me that while they found in my favor and I was not going to be responsible for refunding the buyer who returned a different part than I sent him, eBay was still going to fully refund him his purchase price.

So, the guy gets a working cam sensor, installs it, ships back the bad one, demands a refund, is shown to have returned a part different than the one that was shipped to him and yet, eBay refunds him fully. How screwed up is that. It encourages scammers and cheats, rewarding the worst conduct while doing little to protect a seller on eBay who has been selling on the site for over 17 years.

THIS IS AN ALERT TO ANYONE SELLING ON EBAY. LOOK OUT FOR ADAM SMITH OF DANA PARK CA. HIS EBAY USER NAME IS sml5248. HE IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED.

The following 4 users liked this post by Paul Grant:
Crisis In My Nomex (04-06-2017), Joe! (04-03-2017), thesoundguru (04-03-2017), wynhd (04-04-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

That's the worst. EBay has shafted me a few times. Never that badly. I hope his truck blows the head gaskets. What a looser.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

What a ****bag.

Thanks for letting everyone know Paul. Not often that I sell Rover related anything on eBay, but good to know to keep an eye out.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:57 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Thanks

Old 04-03-2017, 11:17 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Amazed eBay sided with a seller, normally they tend to screw sellers, kind of lost interest in selling stuff on there for that reason

Old 04-04-2017, 12:10 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by emncfi
Amazed eBay sided with a seller, normally they tend to screw sellers, kind of lost interest in selling stuff on there for that reason
did you read what I read? Either I'm wrong or eBay sided with the buyer.

ok, seems they, eBay, refunded the money. Crazy

Last edited by abran; 04-04-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:18 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by emncfi
eBay sided with me after I went through several representatives but they still rewarded the buyer with a full refund. eBay picked up the cost of the refund. They rewarded criminal behavior.

Had I been too busy to call or if I had some blemishes on my 17 year record of selling on eBay the outcome would have been different. I would have been the one forking over cash to this jacka$$.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:19 AM
TReK

Here are pictures of the part I sent to Adam Smith (eBay user smi4852). The part I sent was ERR6170. The part he returned was NSC100840.

Attached Thumbnails A Warning to Anyone Selling Rover Parts on eBay-rsz.jpg   A Warning to Anyone Selling Rover Parts on eBay-img_7194.jpg  
Old 04-04-2017, 07:24 AM
TReK

This is what the email I received from eBay said.

"The item has been delivered to you. eBay has refunded the buyer.

We want to correct this situation for you. As a one-time courtesy, eBay is funding a refund to the buyer because the item wasn't returned in the original condition. You don't need to do anything else. Because we decided in your favor, this case, any feedback left, and all detailed seller ratings left, will not affect your seller performance. In addition, any feedback left for this transaction will be removed. Note that it may take up to 24 hours for these updates to reflect in your Seller Dashboard."

What an effing joke. The item wasn't returned in its original condition. It wasn't the item that was sent. The fact that eBay does not have a standing policy for incidents like this is reprehensible. You see, on countless pictures, where sellers spray paint their items for sale in an effort to stop this sort of behavior. What does it matter. Adam Smith (ebay user name smi4852) might as have sent back a pile of dog feces. Had I not pursued this with eBay, I would have been the one taking the hit.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks Paul.

Thanks for informing us!

Quick Reply: A Warning to Anyone Selling Rover Parts on eBay