Retired - Private 'Wanted' Classifieds Looking for something to buy from a vendor or a private owner?

WTB 4.6L crankshaft, rods, MAF and intake box

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 12:09 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Let's follow your logic in the value of a good crank, pistons, connecting rods and the air box lid for a 4.6L. You say shipping the BMW crank was $64 so let's take that away from your generous offer of $225 for all of the above parts. Now, a seller is down to $161 without considering the cost of shipping eight pistons, connecting rods and the lid. Let's say shipping all of those parts amounts to $26. Now the seller is down to $135 for all of the above parts. Factor in boxes (you do want the parts to arrive safely) and PayPal fees, I think we can safely take away another $10. So, now, a seller is looking at $125 net for a good 4.6L crank, eight good pistons, connecting rods and an air box lid.

I found someone on eBay selling the lid for $55 with shipping so now we're down to $70 for a good 4.6 crank, eight pistons and the connecting rods. There were a couple of cranks on eBay for around $200 with shipping and I saw a crank with pistons and rods for $370. Amazingly, I didn't see any sellers offering a good crank with pistons and rods for $70. But, hey, maybe someone will break price and coming running with a deal for you.

In the meanwhile, maybe I'll use your logical view of the marketplace and give Land Rover of Darien a call. I'm sure they'll accept my offer of $50,000 for a brand new LWB. After all, didn't you say that something is only worth what one idiot is willing to pay. I can't see any reason at all why Darien Land Rover shouldn't jump at my generous offer.

The following users liked this post:
fishEH (11-21-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by badassbmwm3
Does Paul Grant crap on everyones post like this. From CT, I bet he is just one of those trolls we all hate isn't he lol.
There is a lot to be said about knowing your audience.

Why don't you spend 10 minutes or so searching the various Land Rover forums for info on who Paul Grant is, or spend a couple of minutes looking at the history of his eBay Store, and then come back and tell us more about how he's a troll.

And good luck with that $225 offer, champ. I'm sure the parts you net will be of the highest quality.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:50 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

To the OP,

Paul has been fair with my purchases from him and I trust his feedback.

Yes, there are probably tons of broken engines where you could source the parts. You will also have to factor the labor to dismantle the engine to supply you with the parts which you need. I wish you all the best in finding the parts at that price.... who doesn't wish to get good parts at a great price. It is going to be a needle in a haystack endeavor to find a seller who is willing to sell it to you at that price.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crank

Pauls been on this site giving good advice for a long time Dont judge less you be judged

Old 11-20-2014, 06:41 AM
TReK

Guys, I appreciate your comments and thank you for your compliments. Insults from people like badassbmwm3 roll right off my back. He can call me ignorant if he wants. He can whine that I'm "****ting" on his thread. What he says about me has absolutely nothing to do with the weakness in the principle point of his argument, that parts are only worth what the lowest "offer" might be.

"What he fails to notice is that everything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not just what some ignorant man in CT thinks everything is worth!"

Parts are not worth a lowball offer, they are worth what they actually sell for.

I don't know where badassbmwm3 got his MBA but his overly simplistic view of the marketplace leaves much in question.

Yes, he may find a seller in a difficult position, desperate to move the parts he's looking for but offering the amount badassbmwm3 has, when the market clearly dictates differently, is anything but fair or legit. More likely, he'll realize his budget for the conversion is too small, will abandon his project and quietly leave the Land Rover community. It wouldn't be the first time an arrogant 'know it all' came and went in a matter of months.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got em :)

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Don't worry, I'm only 'crapping' on your post. You fail to see the flipside of your statement that everything is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. By that logic, if I deem that a brand new Range Rover LWB is only worth $50,000, by golly, someone is going to have to sell it to me for that price.

After all, in your infinite wisdom, with years of Land Rover experience, you have deemed the price to be such and all sellers should take notice.

I think you need to revisit the meaning of troll.
I appreciate all the help but I got them already. Crank, rods and pistons for $200. Turns out yhey are not worth gold after all. Guy actually has a few 4.6l's laying around. Thinking about converting my 98 too.

Thanks again got being a kind and helpful member...

Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 PM
TReK

Post up pictures of you great buys. Oh, and what happened to the air box lid? Did you pick that up for $25 shipped too??????? Your claim is meaningless without photos of the goods.

Last edited by Paul Grant; 11-21-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by badassbmwm3
I appreciate all the help but I got them already. Crank, rods and pistons for $200. Turns out yhey are not worth gold after all. Guy actually has a few 4.6l's laying around. Thinking about converting my 98 too.

Thanks again got being a kind and helpful member...

Quit being a douchebag, ok? Paul is just about the most fairly priced parts guy I know. Congratulations on finding a "good deal". Hopefully they're not garbage.
Why don't you do the community a favor and let everybody else in on the $200 source?

Old 12-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Quit being a douchebag, ok? Paul is just about the most fairly priced parts guy I know. Congratulations on finding a "good deal". Hopefully they're not garbage.
Why don't you do the community a favor and let everybody else in on the $200 source?
Because your obviously a d-bag and so is your but buddy! Go troll someone else's thread and get a real, not "ciber" life! I used quotations for us as you obviously love them "lol"