Retired - Private 'Wanted' Classifieds Looking for something to buy from a vendor or a private owner?

WTB Discovery 1 or Discovery 2

Old 01-23-2018, 05:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default WTB Discovery 1 or Discovery 2

I've been looking for an R380 D1 for a little over a month now. Can't find one around me. Then I started looking for an automatic D1. I still haven't found a clean one around here. So I am looking for a Discovery 1. And potentially a 2004 Discovery 2, but only 2004. Just want something that's clean with lower mileage. PM me what you have, along with some pictures.

I'm in San Francisco, CA.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...443133376.html

Not mine and know nothing about it but seems to be a low mileage and sorted vehicle with plenty of extras.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...443133376.html

Not mine and know nothing about it but seems to be a low mileage and sorted vehicle with plenty of extras.
I did see that one. Probably one of the best, but $14k is more than I can afford.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Jesus christ, $13,000 for a D2

No. Don't buy a D2. Almost impossible these days to find an R380 D1, but they pop up every few years.

A D1 is simpler, easier to service, and is way more plug and play than a D2.

I mean for $13,000 you can get a near perfect Discovery 3 with an infinitely better motor, better safety, better drivetrain, better road manners, and blows all the others out of the water off road.

Not saying nobody should get a D2, but nobody should ever be paying that kind of money for one.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Also:

1996 Land Rover Discovery - Expedition Portal

A nicely appointed one.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DavC

No. Don't buy a D2. Almost impossible these days to find an R380 D1, but they pop up every few years.

I mean for $13,000 you can get a near perfect Discovery 3 with an infinitely better motor, better safety, better drivetrain, better road manners, and blows all the others out of the water off road.

Not saying nobody should get a D2, but nobody should ever be paying that kind of money for one.
I’ve had both a 99 D1 and an 04 D2, so I know exactly what I’m getting myself into either way. If I get an auto D1, it will be converted to manual. And yes, $14k for a D2 is ridiculous.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

And with regards to repair and service, I think they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Transmission filter, brake rotors, even oil changes, are easier on the D2. Valve cover gaskets, spark plug wires, fuel filter, are easier to do on the D1. There’s more for each that I can’t remember, but it’s personal preference really.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
And with regards to repair and service, I think they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Transmission filter, brake rotors, even oil changes, are easier on the D2. Valve cover gaskets, spark plug wires, fuel filter, are easier to do on the D1. There’s more for each that I can’t remember, but it’s personal preference really.
Never had an auto one of either so can't say to trans. The 5 speed models, both had the same trans so that's a 20 minute service job on either. Oil change is pretty much the exact same, brake rotors is likely the same or same concept.

I fail to see how anything is easier on a Discovery 2. The only strength I could possibly see (subjective) is ACE helping handling, and the slight improvement in cargo room (at detriment to departure angle). Not to mention: different axles, hub pattern, unserviceable drive shafts, air suspension, missing CDL lock on those models affected, head gasket issues, three amigos, etc. etc.

For all its shortcomings the Discovery 1 is simpler

Old 01-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Never had an auto one of either so can't say to trans. The 5 speed models, both had the same trans so that's a 20 minute service job on either. Oil change is pretty much the exact same, brake rotors is likely the same or same concept.

I fail to see how anything is easier on a Discovery 2. The only strength I could possibly see (subjective) is ACE helping handling, and the slight improvement in cargo room (at detriment to departure angle). Not to mention: different axles, hub pattern, unserviceable drive shafts, air suspension, missing CDL lock on those models affected, head gasket issues, three amigos, etc. etc.

For all its shortcomings the Discovery 1 is simpler
Personal preference then, I guess. Drain plug location on the D2 is better than the side of the pan like the D1, less of a mess, but whatever, just my opinion. I still don't mind owning a clean 04 D2 if it comes up. Otherwise, I'm still primarily looking for a clean D1. I liked both of mine quite a bit.

Again, I'm looking for a clean D1 or an 04 D2 with lower miles. I don't think anyone can convince me to buy one model or not buy one model for whatever reason as I have owned both, just wasn't in a situation to hold on to them at the time. It will be a second car for me that I plan on keeping for a long time, so either model suits my needs quite well.

Last edited by DiscoCam; 01-24-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There is the one EasyDoesIt has listed in the classified section. By not wanting to consider a vehicle more than a few hours away: you are really limiting your options.

And as to a $14k D2? I do not see myself buying one for that but how many of us have that into the one we own? You can easily end up with a low mileage one for 4K that is stock and find out shortly that HGs are due and the oil pump issues surface and you then double you money on that vehicle. And it does not end there. You find that you want/need to do a lift and tires and suspension/steering components refurb and you are in for another couple thousand. And then the bumpers: and the rack and lights. Oh! Don’t forget the winch and not one of those Chinese POS ones.

So after this and a year down the road, life changes: now you are faced with selling it. What is it worth? The 4K that you paid for it?

Last edited by alpinacsi; 01-24-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTB Discovery 1 or Discovery 2