Retired - Private 'Wanted' Classifieds Looking for something to buy from a vendor or a private owner?

WTB Discovery 1 or Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
There is the one EasyDoesIt has listed in the classified section. By not wanting to consider a vehicle more than a few hours away: you are really limiting your options.

And as to a $14k D2? I do not see myself buying one for that but how many of us have that into the one we own? You can easily end up with a low mileage one for 4K that is stock and find out shortly that HGs are due and the oil pump issues surface and you then double you money on that vehicle. And it does not end there. You find that you want/need to do a lift and tires and suspension/steering components refurb and you are in for another couple thousand. And then the bumpers: and the rack and lights. Oh! Don’t forget the winch and not one of those Chinese POS ones.

So after this and a year down the road, life changes: now you are faced with selling it. What is it worth? The 4K that you paid for it?
Key differences between the above user's car and the craigslist car:

Easy Does it:
2004 Discovery 2 White, 33s, 4.10s, Lockers - Expedition Portal

Look at all the things he has done to the car, and yet has a fair price. Itemized out, not the idiot way (listing cost), but the correct way of brand/part number.

Then craigslist car:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...443133376.html

OH BOY he has top hat liners (ok), a cam (hope it has a cam), and then wowee a bunch of terrafirma bolt on parts and TIRES!

One of those you could justify getting, one less so. Otherwise here's the daily reminder that we will not get out what we put into these vehicles, financially.

Last edited by DavC; 01-25-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I am in now way suggesting that EITHER is a good deal but the OP is looking for vehicles with specific requirements and both of these match to a possible requirement of being an 04 model. And since he stipulated in another posting where he wanted a manual D1 which is difficult to find that he did not want to venture more than a couple hours from home: I thought these could be of interest. A manual D1 was found on the same coast but 8 hours away and he wanted the owner to drive it to him? So these are merely options. And to compare the ads as you are is rediculus. A listing on this site is expected to be detailed but to put that into a craigslist ad is not necessary. It is detailed whether you think so or not. Enough so that if you are interested further questions can be asked. It mentions a Crower cam which is not stock and as goes along with some of the other things that has been done. Enough so that I am sure you can get an idea of what to ask next. You can at least tell it was not a spray can rebuild and that the owner might have an idea of what he is talking about. Not sure what you are getting at with the CDL. And yes he chose TF as lift components which seems to be the most popular way now to go about this task on the D2.

Again: I am not saying this is a good deal or bad. Not saying it is done right or wrong. Or that it is the right one for the OP. Just putting some ideas out there.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

There is the one EasyDoesIt has listed in the classified section. By not wanting to consider a vehicle more than a few hours away: you are really limiting your options.

And as to a $14k D2? I do not see myself buying one for that but how many of us have that into the one we own? You can easily end up with a low mileage one for 4K that is stock and find out shortly that HGs are due and the oil pump issues surface and you then double you money on that vehicle. And it does not end there. You find that you want/need to do a lift and tires and suspension/steering components refurb and you are in for another couple thousand. And then the bumpers: and the rack and lights. Oh! Don’t forget the winch and not one of those Chinese POS ones.

So after this and a year down the road, life changes: now you are faced with selling it. What is it worth? The 4K that you paid for it?
I'm willing to wait. I'm not going to go all the way to Seattle to get a car I don't need if that is what you're trying to get at. It's just not worth my time. That's a decision that only I can make for myself. Not to mention out of state title transfer is a pain and expensive. And CA cars will never have rust, more value in buying locally. I have been lucky because every used car (and motorcycle) that I have purchased has been within 45 minutes of home. I usually find what I'm looking for within a week. There's almost always a bunch of Discoveries and LR3s for sale in varying conditions almost all the time, at fair prices too, but not right now for some reason. Which is bizarre. I was thinking because people want to take them up to Tahoe, but there's not a whole lot of snow this year, mostly artificial.

That black D2 is nice, but mods do not add to resale value. Doesn't matter what vehicle, they just don't add any value to anyone except the current owner. But there might be someone else out there looking for something like that. And I think many of us here on the forum would rather spend a few grand or less on a solid D1 or D2 and spend a lot to build it, maybe even more than $14k. Who knows?

Again, I'm not here to to tell people what's worth buying or not. I'm not here to explain why I don't have time to drive 900 miles for car I don't need. I made this thread to find a 1994-1999 Discovery 1 or a 2004 Discovery 2 in California. So if you have one that you want to sell, please let me know.

Last edited by DiscoCam; 01-24-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

since he stipulated in another posting where he wanted a manual D1 which is difficult to find that he did not want to venture more than a couple hours from home. A manual D1 was found on the same coast but 8 hours away and he wanted the owner to drive it to him?
You and I both agree on this... an odd expectation

So these are merely options. And to compare the ads as you are is rediculus. A listing on this site is expected to be detailed but to put that into a craigslist ad is not necessary. It is detailed whether you think so or not. Enough so that if you are interested further questions can be asked.... And yes he chose TF as lift components which seems to be the most popular way now to go about this task on the D2.
The way the craigslist ad is worded versus the well-thought out expo post (and I add is a better car for less money) is low effort and suggests a certain type of owner aka a flipper who expects to be paid $14,000 just because he did a $5000 engine job and bolted some new suspension components on. I should clarify terrafirma isn't bad per se, just not worth thousands of dollars on any car. Nothing other than the motor work adds anything close to justifying that crack-pipe smoking price. $14,000 is approaching RHD defender money.

Again: I am not saying this is a good deal or bad. Not saying it is done right or wrong. Or that it is the right one for the OP. Just putting some ideas out there.
This is a fair point, no argument here.

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
I'm willing to wait. I'm not going to go all the way to Seattle to get a car I don't need if that is what you're trying to get at.
You're looking for an exceedingly rare car. Even rarer in good shape and rust free. Wait all you like...

Not to mention out of state title transfer is a pain and expensive. And CA cars will never have rust, more value in buying locally. I have been lucky because every used car (and motorcycle) that I have purchased has been within 45 minutes of home. I usually find what I'm looking for within a week. There's almost always a bunch of Discoveries and LR3s for sale in varying conditions almost all the time, at fair prices too, but not right now for some reason.
Out of state title transfer is not a pain, and the tax rate is literally the same as if you purchased in state, you EVEN get a credit towards any taxes paid on a car purchased out of state already. Go to the DMV and do a VIN verification and then go smog, pay taxes etc. It should be evident already to you that an R380 Discovery is not as common as any other Discovery, 1, 2 or 3... there is no point in comparing how many listings there are for those. And yes CA cars do rust, it depends entirely on use and location. You should know all of this having purchased so many cars and motorcycles.

Again, I'm not here to to tell people what's worth buying or not. I'm not here to explain why I don't have time to drive 900 miles for car I don't need. I made this thread to find a 1994-1999 Discovery 1 or a 2004 Discovery 2 in California. So if you have one that you want to sell, please let me know.
Great, you don't need a D1 then because I can almost guarantee a 5 speed will not pop up in your neighborhood anytime soon. No need to explain yourself to anyone, but at the same time you should expect responses like the above.

-someone who actually flew then drove a car home 900 miles

Last edited by DavC; 01-25-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Found one! Please close thread