General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'00 p38 no-start...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 p38 no-start...HELP!!!

I have inherited(ha...ha) a '00 Range Rover p38 4.0 bosch eng with a no start condition. I'm a bmw guy and know nothing or less about a rover. the previous owner(my son-in-law...a Scotsman) worked for TVR. He has replaced the crank sensor and underhood harness(it was damaged) had the becm gone over and unlocked...replaced the ign switch etc...etc. We still have no inj pulse or ign fire. coils tested good...eng will turn over fine but that's it. Does anyone out there have any advice on where to look next?? I checked obvious electrical...i.e. fuse panel...relays...main hots and grounds...to no avail. Somebody please help a rookie.
many thanks,steve/toxoscar@aol.com

Old 10-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked your fuel pressure? Replace the fuel pump fuse, just to be sure. Sometimes a hairline crack develops causing an issue, but from a first glance it will look fine.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 AM
4wd Low
Default '00 p38 no-start

ys...i have actually replaced the fuse panel and all fuses are good...i can hear the pump running when key is in pos.2 for about 5-7 seconds until it reaches cut off pressure and i have 38lbs at the rail. the injectors are not opening 'cause there is no inj pulse or fire at the plugs. thanks for your quick response and let me know if you can think of anything else. thanks,steve

Old 10-28-2010, 07:51 AM
8th Gear

Did you check all the powers and ground going to the engine control module and the outputs of it?The ECM is by the battery.That controls the injection system.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM
4wd Low
Default '00 p38 no-start

yes...to the best of my ability with what limited info and know-how that i have...the ecu inputs all seem to work,but i do not have info on the outputs in as far as inj drivers. do they operate on 12v or something less?? also ...would you know if the immobilization wire from becm to ecu is supposed to be 12v w/key in position 2? we had the becm unlocked and the black wire for immob link from connector c112 on becm to ecu(i forget what connector# but it is pin 33) is hot 12v w/key on. i'm good on bmw/merc wiring but lost on this rover with the limited info i have. many thanks,steve

Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I am assuming that the engine is cranking over but not firing right? If it is cranking than I do not think it is related to the BECM or the alarm system. I am willing to bet it still related to the CPS, sometimes even when you have a new one it is faulty, or the connector is making the right connection.

I do not know the figures but you should be able to disconnect it and read the impulse reading off of it so you know it is working.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:27 PM
4wd Low

yes...eng spins over fine and alarm sets w/key fob. a local shop gave me info on wiring going to cam & crank sensors as to power in...gnd and signal out...i will check those this weekend. i have a rover shop manual that gives pin-out info back to ecu so i can check going back to ecu, but sadly no wiring diagram...thanks ,steve

Old 10-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The under hood harness could be the culprit too. When say the under hood harness do you mean the one on the engine itself or the one that the harness from the engine connects to? It will probably be a long process to find it if it not just a bad CPS. Good Luck.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 PM
8th Gear

the BECM has nothing to do with eng performanc the engine computer manages the engine electrical it is located right next to the battery remove the three phillip screws and you will notice it the becm is only a body electronic control module.The ECM is for eng Injection and spark the cam and crank sensors send there signal to the ECM.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Rock Crawling

The Rave manual tells what every pin on every connector does and what the voltage should be. It also tells what color wires come off of each pin. I have used it to troubleshoot on my Rover.

Quick Reply: '00 p38 no-start...HELP!!!