General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 P38 RR Hood latch stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 P38 RR Hood latch stuck

It's below 32 degrees here and the under the dash hood/bonnet pull is not unlocking the hood/bonnet. It always made a click sound and it would pop open. This is the first time this has not opened. Any tricks to pop open this hood/bonnet?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Push down on the hood or smack it with your hand. You may have some ice in there that just stopped it from popping.Mine works great at -10 but usually I need to bust off some ice to lift it all the way.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Rock Crawling

The temp got above 32 so I went out there again pushed it smacked it, pulled up on it and now only the driver's side is able to come up an inch but the center and passengerside is still stuck. I feel like taking a hair dryer to the center grille latch and see if the heat might make a difference. I have to get it open to add oil to my engine. Dip stick read that it is centimenters below the fill line. (this reading was done after 2500 miles of city and highway, which stealerships said it was normal for it to burn or even leak this much.) I read it the other day and then closed the hood and now it never opened again.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I guess you could have a damaged cable running to it but in my experience it is giving trouble before it completely goes so there is warning. If you are smacking it and nothing then it probably is not frozen shut. Did you try moving it side to side a little to see if it gives. Also have someone pulling on the handle when you are trying to do al of this as well since it may be catching again.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you definitely want two people for this. One on the outside working the hood while someone pulls the release on the inside.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:23 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of a sudden I couldn't open the hood on my '01 as in my case the latch only released the passenger side but not the drivers side. Initially I crawled under the working passenger side latch (just to the left of the radiator) and as krazz suggested had someone pull the hood release lever inside so that I could see from underneath how the latch worked. Once I saw the latch movement I then moved to the other side of the radiator under the drivers side hood latch where it was not operating and reached up as far as I could and luckily jiggled the right thing so when the person pulled the lever it let go. With the hood up I saw that a plastic retainer clip broke, for now I just rigged it using a clip. The only way to access and release the latch if broken, in my opinion and after examining everything for quite some time with the hood up, is from under the truck reaching as far as you can to the hood. Good luck, hopefully it is just frozen and you can ignore my post.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Rock Crawling

ok guys will give all your suggestions a try. So far only the drivers side is loose. The passenger side is down tight. Its very hard to see up and in there. Its gotta open I have an oil change in 3,000 miles. Looks like warmer weather is headed this way for next couple of days. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for your responses!

Old 04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Rock Crawling

And here is how the story ended. I had to take her down to the stealership. At $128/hr they fixed it. They stated that the lever had snapped and the area that crimps the two studs that fit into the lock were all gummed up and had to be cleaned and lubricated. They used a lubricant that looked like copper glitter mixed in oil. Even a RR lube job looks expensive! lol Any how that is how RROJ got his hood fixed.