General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 RR - front end noise adn vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 RR - front end noise adn vibration

This is nore informational than anything and may help someone else out there understand and resolve the problem I had.

I had my vehicle at the dealership a month or so ago to replace what I thought was a bad wheel bearing, front drivers side. There was significant corrosion and I ended up springing for a spindle, hub and bearing - an expensive repair which didn't resolve the noise I was hearing and vibration I was feeling. Both an independent garage and the LR dealership (and I) thought it was the bearing - esp. considering the corrosion was so bad the nut on the end of the spindle was almost indiscernable.

At any rate, again, this didn't fix the problem. I brought it back last week when a cooling hose ruptured (behind the engine). I asked them to look at the front end noise/vibration issue again. They did, thought the wheel bearing they put in a month ago was bad and again replaced it. No good - problem remained.

To make a long story short - it was the tire - plenty of tread on this tire, but just a slight amount of cupping. They swapped out tires/wheels from another vehicle and I test drove it. We were both surprised because the noise and vibration were significant.

At any rate - some of you may be dealing with this issue. Just passing on some info.

Bob

Old 10-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 03 RR - front end noise adn vibration

Tire cupping is bad with some tires, especially Goodyear's.
I would try rotating the tire.
How many miles on the truck, when were the diff's last serviced? Might want to check the diff oil for excess metal, on the plug and in the oil, especially the chunks that would indicate a problem.