General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Range Rover Hse cooling pressure build up

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:23 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Range Rover Hse cooling pressure build up

Few months ago while I was driving, I realised that the water gauge pasted the 1/2 mark and it's close to 3/4 but has not reached the red line. I pulled over quick.Checked and found out the cooling plastic bottle cracked and it caused the car to overheat. I replaced the bottle and tested and seemed at the time everything was ok. The next day when I was driving i realized it was passing the 1/2 mark. I pulled over again and noticed that small hose that goes on the back of the head was busted. I replaced the hose and talk to mechanic who works on rovers. He told me that these engines even thought that i didn't overheat all the way to red the head gasket goes bad and there might be a pressure build up in your cooling system. He told me to check the cooling to see if there is pressure. I opened the cap few times and i realized that there was pressure in there. I was ready to take the head out. Drove after that few times and seems the problem went away. I checked the cooling and seems to me that there is no pressure, plus no hose problems. What do you guys think happpened and am I ok to take a long trip with the car? I am afraid to drive the car for too long. Forgot to add that each time i changed a part i took the air out from the cooling system so there was no air in the system. An after all this engine runs great and no check engine light.

Last edited by Edgarts; 04-28-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you did not severely overheat the engine, you are probably ok. The mechanic might be mixing the BMW and Rover V8 up. The rover v8 does not take overheating very well. The BMW engine (yours) is a more rugged motor and should be fine so long as it wasn't red lined for an extended period of time. How many miles are on it and when was the cooling system last serviced? If you are 100k or close to it, you might need to start replacing the radiator, hoses, thermostat, water pump, etc. Another thing, the cooling systems on rovers are pressurized, they are supposed to be. Over pressurization can be caused by many things, including the head gaskets. However, I would test other components before ripping the engine apart.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 AM
4wd Low

I am only at 55k and I had to replaced the radiator a year ago due to and accident, but I have not changed the termostat and the water pump. Do you think I should change them?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Pro Wrench

I would have a pressure test done first to verify if it is over pressurizing before replacing anything. I would also pull some of the spark plugs and drain the oil to check for any signs of coolant. Is the rover consuming any coolant?

Old 04-29-2011, 05:31 PM
4wd Low

no coolant stays the same level and no trace of coolant in the oil.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Pro Wrench

You still need to have it pressure tested to see what pressure the cooling system is running at. If its running to high, your gaskets are probably in need of replacement. The crack in the reservoir and blown hose could be due to old age, but you won't know until you pressure test it.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:05 PM
4wd Low

thanks. I will let you know what i find out