General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Classic purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts
Default 1995 Classic purchase?

I am not new to the forum, I have been pretty active on the Discovery II side since my purchase 2 years ago. I have encountered most of the problems that you would expect and became pretty handy with the RAVE and a 140pc set of Craftsman tools ( Check my signature).

I have been looking for a white 1995 Classic and I noticed one sitting in front of a local indie shop here in Memphis. The guy that owns the place is a certified RR tech and seems to do a good amount of business. He said the vehicle was never picked up after he had done $5700 worth of repairs, I told him I wouldn't have picked it up either. He says he has a replacement title in hand. As of last week he wanted $4500 after I offered $2000. Body is straight, no rust, rear window hinges are in good shape. New water pump, shocks, rotors and pads, good tires.

There were wires hanging out of the passenger kick panel ( see photo) the door locks didn't work, rear drivers side window would not roll up, interior had expected wear, radio in the passenger seat and it wouldn't crank. I stopped by again and a guy was finishing up the headliner and the wires were no longer visible. I asked him how he got it in the bay and he said he drove it ( trickle charger was hooked up ).

I found a failed emissions inspection in the floor board from 2008 and a piece of paper with "B1342 control module fault" written on it. I did some research on it and found out what that was about. Ran a carfax and found it is a 4 owner car, no wrecks or body damage reported, one control module repair.

This is going to be a protect vehicle but I want some advice on more questions to ask. Also I am not going to pay more than 3k for this truck if I get it and I think that is too much, I have the sickness.

Frank

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Classic purchase?-tn-1.jpeg   1995 Classic purchase?-tn-2.jpeg   1995 Classic purchase?-tn-3.jpeg  

Last edited by Frank4; 04-11-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are good trucks, but 4500 is way too much in my opinion. I got mine for 2700 three years ago. Since you are familiar with rovers, I would definitely recommend it if you could get it for under 3k. However, that depends on the shape of the interior, exterior, and engine. And it does not appear to be immaculate. If you want to get a super cheap and good rangie, you might consider waiting for gas prices to rise a bit more. The prices of rovers will plummet. They are already dropping...