General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 2003 2004 Range Rover MKIII radio wiring for equalizer or amplifier

Old 11-29-2009, 04:18 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 2003 2004 Range Rover MKIII radio wiring for equalizer or amplifier

Just for anyone’s reference, I’m posting my findings on information and wiring for an equalizer or amplifier because I had a hard time finding it myself. I have a 2004 HSE with Harmon Kardon Logic 7, no DSP (digital signal processor). Radio and CD changer are manufactured by Alpine.

A note on DSP: I had a hard time finding out if I had DSP. When I called the dealer service department, one of their “senior techs” said if I had a Harmon Kardon system, I have DSP. It turns out this is not true. On your radio/navigation display, if there is no “DSP” option in any of your menus, you do not have DSP. If you have DSP, there would be a built-in 7-band graphic equalizer available. Without DSP, you only have bass and treble controls.

I felt the audio system had too much midrange and lacked highs and lows. I had planned to install an amplifier and subwoofer after the equalizer, but after the eq install, I was surprised to find the stock sub was capable of producing deep bass. It’s not earth shaking loud, but that wasn’t my goal.

Radio unit: Left (US driver) side of trunk. Remove the carpeted cover on the left trunk wall. There are several units; navigation disk player, amplifier, etc. If you’re sitting in the trunk, facing this area, the radio unit is the one mounted closest to you, slightly below floor level. It’s partially hidden by a black plastic cover. You’ll be able to see the wires coming upward from the radio unit.

Power wires:
Constant +12V = Thick red wire w/ green stripe.
Ground = Thick brown wire.
Remote (+12V when radio is on) = White wire with gray stripe and small yellow bands every ½”. (The yellow bands make the gray stripe look like a dotted line. There is only 1 wire with these bands across it.)

Line / low level audio wires (These are the group of wires twisted together in pairs):
Blue w/ red stripe = Right Front +
Brown w/ orange stripe (twisted with above wire) = Right Front -
Yellow w/ red stripe = Left Front +

Brown w/ orange stripe (twisted with above wire) = Left Front -
Blue w/ black stripe = Right Rear +
Brown w/ orange stripe (twisted with above wire) = Right Rear -

Yellow w/ black stripe = Left Rear +
Brown w/ orange stripe (twisted with above wire) = Left Rear -

The following users liked this post:
MarkMurphy (11-22-2022)