General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 MKIII Range Rover Rear Carpet Wheel Well ( Boot ) Wet After Rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 MKIII Range Rover Rear Carpet Wheel Well ( Boot ) Wet After Rain

After 5 days of continuous rain in Southern California (a rarity I know), my 2003 Range Rover felt like the Amazon rain forest and was full of condensation inside. I had driven about 20 miles a day and it was either parked on a flat surface or with it's nose slightly up in the driveway.

The front and rear seating carpet was bone dry. So I moved to the cargo area and wow was I surprised. The carpet was wet on the rear door, the side pillars and the cargo cover. I also found about a liter of water in the wheel well!

I removed the spare wheel and then one of the rubber grommets in the wheel well which drained most of the water and then dried the rest with a towel.

I know it is not a sunroof drain because I had that problem last year and the symptom of that is water in one or both of the rear compartments where electronics are stored. When the dealer replaced my sunroof under warranty they forgot to attach the left rear drain and water ran over the headliner to the rear of the car and down the left column to the well that has the navigation and stereo electronics which allowed water to enter the navigation unit issues which I fixed by placing the CD unit in my oven at 100 degrees for 30 min to dry it out.

My guess is that the water ingress is from the rear door or hatch seals but I can't know for sure.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem or a way to verify the cause of the problem?

Old 12-24-2010, 02:33 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Use a hose and take off the interior trim off to see where the water is coming in from.

just tape it to different parts of the vehicle and let the water run for a long time to see where the leak is coming from. no different then what we would do at the dealership.