General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 RR Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 RR Help

Not sure if this is the right section to ask for help. Anyhow can anyone help me out?

So I stored my RR for about 3 months with the alarm activated (didn't know it was left on) in the garage. Went to move the RR out of the garage when there was no power what so ever. I went and bought a brand new group 93 battery. Installed it. Positive first. then Negative. Things started happening. Electronics started to do their thing. It was obvious that the battery was the problem. Got in and started. I let it run for a while, then turned off. I was excited to know all was ok. About 16 minutes later I notice the tail lamps (brake lights) on. Got in and tried to start the RR. The key would fit in but I was unable to turn the key. It was locked at 0. I tried just about everything from tapping on the key to turning the steering wheel. I know some have a bit of pressure. Nothing. I took off the neg lead to the battery. Put it back on after a few minutes. There was power but it still wouldn't turn over or allow me to turn the key whatsoever. I took off the neg lead again overnight.

The next day I tried the sandpaper thing. Maybe the terminals were not clean. Connected the neg terminal on. Power was on. All was well just like the previous day. The RR started. Let it run for a while and let the gismos do their thing. Drove it down the block and it looked like all the lights that were on reset themselves. Drove it back and locked the RR. About 3 hrs later. I go outside and notice the brake lights on again. I got in and tried to turn the key. Nothing. It was locked up again.

Day three. I decided to disconnect the neg lead again overnight because if I left it on the brake lights would be on all night. I want to connect the neg lead but would like to know what's going on. I would appreciate any help I can get. I know I'm using my factory 2 master keys. What is this RR doing. Help

Old 02-10-2011, 11:51 AM
5th Gear

its possible that you need to have your code reset, or your key locked itself in anti-theft mode due to the power failure and repeated attempted start-ups that you described. I had a power failure too on my '03 RR, and when I got it re-charged back up, the "air suspension inactive" message came on, which I had previously had repaired at the LR dealership to the tune of 500+ bucks so of course I freaked a bit and called them immediately. Told them I'd had a power failure and they said that when that happens, sometimes you need to get in and insert your key, and assuming you can turn it to 1(which you cannot at this time, right?) you should wiggle the steering wheel a few times (of all things??) and turn the car back off and then on again and it should reset itself. I described my situation to you only because there seems to be a lot of very strange or out-of-the norm solutions out there to our vehicle's various little hiccups.

Since you cannot get past position 0, it sounds like your key has locked itself in anti-theft mode. Get out of the car, and shut the door. Insert it in the driver's door and turn first to the right, hold for 3 seconds, then return it to original insert position. I have googled other things about the key and have seen that solution before - it resets the key in some way. don't know if it will help your situation but its worth a try, right? Otherwise you'll be stuck going to the DLR for a reset/reprogram of your key - which is about 65-85 bucks a pop. I did end up having to do that after my PF, because the key fob would not lock the vehicle after the PF occurred.

Good luck!!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Programming a new Key

Replacing a missing master key is quite expensive from Land Rover, try not to get sucked into the extra cost of "Dealer coding" You can do this yourself in 2 minutes by following the simple process below.

1) Get in and close all doors. Turn ignition on and off quickly and remove the key (all within about 5 seconds).

2) Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition off, while holding down the "unlock" button, press the "lock" button three times. Release the "unlock" button. (You may or may not get the confirmation from the door locks.) Holding the key at your head level provides best results as the key sensor is in the side window pillar.

3) Repeat for each key you want to initialize within 30 seconds after the last one you initialized (if you have more).

4) Right after doing the last key, quickly put the key back in the ignition and turn it on/off again to finalize.

Your brake switch could be faulty. Making the rover think your brake lights need to be on. Might explain why it won't let you turn the key either. Start with the reset as suggested above, then start sniffing for clues. Can't test it since I don't have this body style.

Last edited by LRScott; 02-10-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:14 PM
4wd Low

I'm on the road again... Thanks for the help. If anyone needs help here was what I tried...

As noted we had our RR 03 tucked away in the garage with the alarm on. Sad to say we forgot. Never started so... the battery went dead. It was over six yrs old so I bought a new one.

First off, if you can help it. Don't disconnect the battery ever. It really starts a lot of electrical issues that you don't need. If you have to. Plug the new battery on. Try to start it. If you can't like I did. Just shut the doors, bonnet and all and lock it up for hours. It'll trigger the alarm after a few hrs. Stay close. Once the alarm goes off. Shut it off with your key.

I don't know why this worked. I think it reset some items such as the immob... I guess the RR thought it was being tampered with so after the battery was on for a few hrs it must have ran some electrical comp.... I was able to turn the key over and start the RR. Messages came on. I put the RR in neutral and turned the steering wheel all the way to the left, then right. That is suppose to reset some items also. I followed LR dealership master mech. It worked. It shut all the light off.

if you ever get the transfer case neutral message. Take the fuse out from the slot. It should do the trick. Something to do with towing...

I also had a problem with the brakes lights coming on after 16 mins or so and beyond. I did the leave the battery hooked up and take out the fuse for the brake lights. Let the RR reset itself the way indicated above. Hope that helps.

Man, these things are way to electrical.

Last edited by islandrangie; 02-11-2011 at 03:13 AM.