General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Range Rover HSE - Is It Worth It !?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Range Rover HSE - Is It Worth It !?

Hello Everybody,

I figured me being someone who has no experience with Range Rovers, I better connect with people who do… The Range Rover Forums… Here’s the story, I saw a Range Rover and similar to you guys fell in love with it. I have heard horror stories and happy times with people’s Range Rovers and being that I am on a budget, I found a Used 2005 Range Rover HSE. I do believe I am in love… with this Range Rover…

This car is going to be a daily driver. Nothing Off-Road at all, but possibly a drive into the mountains for a day of Snowboarding and a possible trip to the beach. Living in the heart of California, here in the San Joaquin Valley, we have some HOT summers and some cooler winters. Summers Average: 105F Degrees, Winters Average: 30F Degrees…

This is where you guys come into play. I need to know what you think of what I am listing here… I’m going to put everything this car has, including the price and the Kelley Blue Book Retail Value on it. Is this thing worth the amount, it’s got a clean record so far, it’s just a daily driver…

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE Sport Utility 4D……

V8, 4.4 Liter……

Automatic……

4WD……

Mileage: 84,741

Color: Charcoal

*** Equipment ***

Luxury Package
Traction Control
ABS (4-Wheel)
Air Conditioning
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Cruise Control
Telescoping Wheel
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
CD (Multi Disc)
Harman Kardon Sound
Navigation System
Parking Sensors
Dual Air Bags
F&R Side Air Bags
Dual Power Seats
Leather
Moon Roof
Privacy Glass
Roof Rack
Towing Package
Alloy Wheels

*** Additional Information ***

Vehicle is still UNDER WARRANTY!

Total Value With-Out Mileage………… $ 26,730 - (Kelley Blue Book Value)
Mileage Adjustment (84,741)………… (-$575) - (Kelley Blue Book Value)

Kelley Blue Book Retail Value………… $ 26,155 - (Kelley Blue Book Value)

DEALER PRICE: $ 24,900 – (Out the Door, Including Taxes and Licensing)

Well, There it is… That’s the Dream Car… What do you guys think about the price including the packages and options it has… It’s just a daily driver to and from School/Work. The car has no problems to show on record this far.

What do ya think ? Is it worth the money ?

Thanks for Reading, and I look forward to reading to your comments…

Cole Mayfield
cudacole@comcast.net

** Thanks to Kelley Blue Book Online for Retail Breakdown **

Old 02-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The price is a little steep. If you can get them to drop it a couple grand, i think it would be worth it. If the dealership is an LR one, see if you can get them to throw in an extended warranty. If you are new to rover, and are not a DIY mechanic, the warranty will more than pay for itself. The 05 rovers have the 4.4L BMW V8 which is a good engine. The electronics can be a bit buggy, but if the rover doesn't have a bad history, you should be safe. Aside from that, they are not any worse than a Ford Explorer or Suburban. People yelp over the littlest things. There are lemons out there though, just be cautious. Oh, and when and if you get it. Make sure the transmission fluid is changed. LR and all their wisdom decided to say their transmissions are serviced "for life". So guess what happens around 100k miles? It would be a huge plus if the previous owner actually changed the fluid at 30 or 60k mileage intervals.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rovers' are great vehicles and either you will love them or hate them.

For an 05' it is a bit much, but then again if it has impeccable service history then it may be worth the extra money. Still I think you should haggle a bit. Being I lived in Central CA once I know now there are not as many people out looking to buy a Range Rover so I am sure it is not going to sell fast. If you can as well drive a few of them since I find many drive differently and as long as you have a good feeling then buy it. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ColeMayfield
Hello Everybody,

"...I am on a budget, I found a Used 2005 Range Rover HSE. I do believe I am in love… with this Range Rover…

… It’s just a daily driver to and from School/Work. The car has no problems to show on record this far.

What do ya think ? Is it worth the money ?
Man, if you're on a budget and still in school, this may not be the best vehicle for you. These trucks are very expensive to own and operate and the one you've mentioned in this thread has miles approaching major, expensive service. If this is truly your dream car, do your homework on this one ....try and get the full service history by calling your local dealer and giving them the VIN. If it was dealer serviced, they should be able to tell you what was done when. If a LR dealer is selling this truck, then you can just ask them (you didn't mention what dealer was selling it). If you cannot determine any of the service (or a very limited amount of service performed), I would pass this one up. Also, find yourself a good, local independent Land Rover mechanic. I can't imagine there are lots of these guys in your area but there might be a few. If there are none within 30 or so miles and you would need to rely on the local dealer and you are on a budget, you will be screwed. Lastly, start making a list of the things that you will need to service on the truck in the upcoming year by asking people on here or via the owner's manual and see if you can afford this. If you skip routine service stuff, your truck will not last. I think you will be blown away at what stuff costs for these trucks ...to be honest, this is not a vehicle that anyone on a budget should even consider buying. You're just asking for a big nightmare. These trucks are for people who have wads of cash spilling out of their pockets and don't care what stuff costs or for true Rover enthusiasts who can maintain the truck [themselves or via non-dealer mechanics] and utilize it for all of the cool features it has and love it no matter how temperamental it can be. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
5th Gear

LRScott: The dealer unfortunately is not a Land Rover dealer. I am planning on going to the local Land Rover dealer and purchase the extended warranty. I purchased the Car-Fax on the car and it looks like the previous 2 owners had the car serviced regulary. I also noticed on the Car-Fax it has a few minor things that were replaced such as weather stripping and door and window sensors (Not sure what those are..?) One thing I did notice is that the previous 2 owners both had the Differentials replaced in 06' and in 08'. Should I be suspicious ? Also, What Do you think a good price for the car would be??

handsome rob: I certianly hope that I will love mine! =P I drove it and it drives very nicely. I checked the Service record on the car and it appears that the car was serviced at a Land Rover dealer whenevr a maintenance repair was suggested from the dealer. As I said above, I did find out that there were a few things such as weather stripping being relaced, sensors in the doors and windows being replaced. The biggest thing I noticed being replaced was the Differntial. It was replaced twice. Once in 06' and once in 08'. What do you feel the car is worth ?

fsufan8: Thank you for commenting ! I am still looking into the details of the Truck and I am hopeing to have a RR along with you guys !?

BTW, with the small amount of information I have given you guys, what do you feel an appropriate price would be? The seller isn't a private or a Land Rover dealer. They are a local used car dealer. I also noticed on the Car-Fax, he had the car Serviced and Examined less then 2 weeks ago at our local Land Rover dealer.

Thanks for All the Help !!! Any more information is GREATLY appreciated !!!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Rock Crawling

A lot of people mention that these are not good for people on a budget. I have to clearify something. I think what they mean is that if you can't do the work yourself and have to rely on the dealer for everything you might want to consider something else. If you are a handy person and turn your own wrenches these trucks aren't that bad. I haven't found mine to be any more expensive than any of my other cars but I have also done all of my own work and it has never been to the stealership or a mechanic.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Drifting

Cole,
The service history sounds OK but I would be leary on the differentials being replaced twice in 2 years ...that is crazy. Why was this done?? You need to find out as this is not common. I smell a lemon waiting for its next victim (i.e. you). Diffs should be bullet-proof on most vehicles, especially the Rover. If I were you, I would pass up on this truck but if you are like I was when I was younger, I know you REALLY want this truck so whatever we tell you on here is probably meaningless to you unless the advice is yes, you should buy that truck. I was no different when I was younger ...I would ask people with more experience than me their advice on things such as buying cars and if I didn't like the advice I got, I would go with my gut instinct. I would usually find out the hard way that they were right but you know, I guess I never really regret any of my decisions even if it did cost me a pair of nuts. : )

Steve

Old 03-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Krazz, if you can work on it then you should be fine but do not wait until the last minute to do repairs or maintenance, do it when it says so or before it is scheduled.

I have heard of the diffs going because if I am correct the center diff lock is right near the gear selector and so they hit it and not realize it. Then the front diff goes since it basically burns up. I may be wrong but I know a guy this happened to.

If it was me I would cite the diffs and anything else you know and come in with an offer of $21-$22K. I am in sales and for the most part I am almost insulted if you do not ask me for a discount or haggle the price, I may not move but that is all part of the game. At the very least he may throw in some service or something to sweeten the deal.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cole hold onto your wallet if you just do some perusing of CL you will find prices dropping rather quickly,
it will soon be possible to pick up a nice sub 70K mile 05 LR RR for about 20K,

Pay attention to the front headrests as they indicate the upgraded Leather seat package with 16 way adjustment ( The Westminster version has these better seats but the trucks only come in Black / Black)

the regular head rest versions are round from the side view the best ones have a point at front lower edge, the regular seats are not bad though.

The answer to the differential issue is this, when the 03 to 05 were made they had a fixed front driveshaft this wasnt a good idea as the front pumpkin was moving when the vehicle was in motion this original drive shaft didnt have any compliance or FLEX with the pinion as a result the front pinion shaft would shear off.
The FIX was a factory sponsored repair, they removed the old driveshaft and front pinion flange and installed a new driveshaft with a CV joint about 8 inches aft of the front pinion flange also they installed a new heat shield to protect the CV joint.
The dealers were to replace all of the front shafts in the 2003 to 2005 Rovers for free, it is easy to look under the RF tire and see the driveshaft and the CV joint of the new shaft .

Any truck you consider get the VIN # and call a dealer and ask them if this has been done. Also test the airsuspension see how long it takes for the truck to rise from mid way to full up if it takes more than 30 seconds then you may be looking at a worn airpump.
Check the radio for function and the touchscreen for function both are known failure points,
check the bell housing for coolant drips this is the Valley gasket leaking,
make sure the radiator isnt leaking from the edges of the tank to core,
and inspect the coolant reservoir they do fail after about 65K.
Make sure the oil filter housing isnt broken off at its mounting points next to the radiator,
check the charging system for output, a new rebuilt alt is 700.00 plus install

Last edited by Mrmerlin; 03-10-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 PM
5th Gear

Sorry for such a late reply...

Well, I BOUGHT IT !!! I got a great price on it...

I am now a very proud Range Rover owner..

I just wanted to take the time to thank for all of your guy's help, and please continue to be in contact, since I will have several questions... Thanks Again...

Quick Reply: 2005 Range Rover HSE - Is It Worth It !?