General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Range Rover Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:35 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Range Rover Keyless Entry

Hi,

Question- I just bought a 2011 RR SC. The dealer informs me that the keyless entry function on the truck requires you to press a button on the fob to unlock the door. The ignition is then keyless. I found that odd given that most other luxury car brands allow you to just walk up to the car and the door unlocks assuming the fob is on your person. This morning I get an email from LRNA congratulating me on my new Range Rover. This email contains a link to a page of instructional videos. One of the videos is entitled "Keyless Entry." This video goes on to explain how you can just grab the handle and that the car then recognizes the fob and unlocks… you know, like everyones else's version of this tech. I called Rover and they said that you have to press the button on the fob for hightened security and that they didn't know that video was on the site; and yes it linked me to the US version of the Rover site.

Do you think that this feature could be activated via software?

Old 10-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Drifting

First off, congrats on your purchase. How exciting to be able to buy a brand new RR Supercharged. Most of us dream for that day

On your issue, you said you called Rover. Do you mean your local dealer or LRNA? What does your owner's manual say regarding the operation of the keyless functions? If it states that the doors unlock automatically, take it back to your dealer and have them look into the fact the doors don't unlock when you walk up to it (even though you said they told you that you need to push the button). I know for a fact that not all luxury car brand's keyless entry systems have the fob that automatically unlocks the doors as you get close to the car. I have had a few luxury car brands that have these smart key fobs but I have still had to push a button on the door handle for the doors to unlock.

Last edited by fsufan8; 10-25-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 PM
4th Gear
Default video

Thanks-

not sure what manual says but here is the video. I called LRNA, btw.

http://www.landrover.com/us/en/rr/ow...010_Welcome_RR

Old 01-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Default remote key fob

I too have the same odd problem. The video on the Land Rover website for North America/USA states in no uncertain terms that the 2011 Range Rover will unlock if you're within a meter of the door WITHOUT the need to push a button. I also asked the dealer and talked to LR North America customer reps about the issue and they both simply claimed either that they were not aware of the webpage video or that it didn't matter what the video said. I find this not only strange but also deceitful on the part of Land Rover. Also, if the only function the key fob has (I too bought a new 2011 LR) then why is it so bloody heavy and large?? My old GMC remote also only opened the door and it weighed a fraction of the LR remote. This leaves us with the choice of carrying around a pound of metal in our pockets or taking up 1/2 of the available cup holder space to place this anchor of a key fob. Does anyone know if there is any programming that can actually make the fob useful--and conform to the video? Thanks BTW I still love my Rover but for $95k you'd think you'd get a little more for your$$

Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Drifting

If you listen carefully, the nice British man says that the door will unlock "according to the security settings" ... this makes me think that this setting is "customizable" by either the owner or the dealer.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:08 PM
2nd Gear
Default Keyless Entry

FWIW, I have a new 2011 LR RR Sport HSE with the keyless entry and it works exactly how you describe....as i approach the vehicle, when i get within about 3 feet of the car, the doors unlock automatically. I would imagine you new RR should do the same. Show the service manager the video on how its supposed to work if you need to I suppose. I find sometimes a great salesperson will often be more informative of the features than the attending service clerks. I was lucky in that regard.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Default Remote keyless entry

Thanks for the info. I noticed you have the RR Sport, which I've been led to believe by the salesmen is more "technically advanced" than the full size RR so maybe the remotes are different? I find it amazing that a $90k suv doesn't have a proximity remote like yours but maybe LR is just playing us as fools

Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Default Remote keyless entry

Thanks for the info. I noticed you have the RR Sport, which I've been led to believe by the salesmen is more "technically advanced" than the full size RR so maybe the remotes are different? I find it amazing that a $90k suv doesn't have a proximity remote like yours but maybe LR is just playing us as fools

Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM
4th Gear
Default BS

I called Rover, again. No love. They claim that it is a security mattter?!?!? AKA company line Bull****. The video that I referenced in my original post, that I pointed out to Rover, is STILL on the US website?!?!! WTF? It works like the video in ROW, so why not here? I bet it is a software switch? Someone has to know.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Default keyless entry BS from Land Rover corporate

Yes, I too am getting the same line of BS from LR corporate. Told that the video's are for RR world wide and not all functions are the same--simple answer from LR is "tough cookies, we tricked you now you're on your own."
I am speaking with a close friend of mine who I used to practice law with a few years ago. He is a very well known and successful class action attorney and thus, that's the route I'm going. If they don't want to talk to me maybe they can talk to my attorney and/or the California Attorney General vis-a-vis false and misleading adverstising.....stay tuned!

Quick Reply: 2011 Range Rover Keyless Entry