General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6 HSE Range Rover Speaker Problems

Old 11-13-2007, 01:48 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.6 HSE Range Rover Speaker Problems

Hello All,

I'm a newbie here. I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue, because I've not been able to find ANY help.

I have a 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. A month ago, while listening to the radio, a loud squeal came through all of the speakers, and then the sound went out. The radio comes on, like it should, as does the CD changer. Only problem is, no sound from speakers. No matter how high you turn the volume, you get nothing. I believe it's the DSP. Because normally, when you cycle through the bass, treble, subwoofer, fader & balance, the next option is the DSP option. It lets you chose between "Spatial", "Driver" & "Off". Well, now, it goes from balance, right to the radio station readout. The crazy thing is this:

Over this past weekend, the truck was left at home, while my wife and I went out of town. When we came back home, I attempted to go out in the truck, and the battery was dead. I used the car to jump the truck off. Afterwards, I went for a ride in the truck to build the battery back up. Now, when I got in the truck, by habit, I hit the radio button. And like magic, the radio came on! It was the nicest sound I've heard in a long time!! I drove around for about 10 minutes, and then the loud shriek of death came again. The loud, piercing squeal came through all the speakers, and then the sound went out. The squeal lasted, even after turning off the radio, turning the engine off and removing the key. It lasted for maybe 2 minutes, then stopped. But, now, I'm back to complete silence in the truck.

Can ANYONE please tell me what this could possibly be? Does anyone know where the amplifier is located? Does it have it's own fuse actually ON the system? All of my fuses are fine. I just can't figure this thing out. Please, someone help me!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: 4.6 HSE Range Rover Speaker Problems

ORIGINAL: Canderson76

Hello All,

I'm a newbie here. I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue, because I've not been able to find ANY help.

I have a 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. A month ago, while listening to the radio, a loud squeal came through all of the speakers, and then the sound went out. The radio comes on, like it should, as does the CD changer. Only problem is, no sound from speakers. No matter how high you turn the volume, you get nothing. I believe it's the DSP. Because normally, when you cycle through the bass, treble, subwoofer, fader & balance, the next option is the DSP option. It lets you chose between "Spatial", "Driver" & "Off". Well, now, it goes from balance, right to the radio station readout. The crazy thing is this:

Over this past weekend, the truck was left at home, while my wife and I went out of town. When we came back home, I attempted to go out in the truck, and the battery was dead. I used the car to jump the truck off. Afterwards, I went for a ride in the truck to build the battery back up. Now, when I got in the truck, by habit, I hit the radio button. And like magic, the radio came on! It was the nicest sound I've heard in a long time!! I drove around for about 10 minutes, and then the loud shriek of death came again. The loud, piercing squeal came through all the speakers, and then the sound went out. The squeal lasted, even after turning off the radio, turning the engine off and removing the key. It lasted for maybe 2 minutes, then stopped. But, now, I'm back to complete silence in the truck.

Can ANYONE please tell me what this could possibly be? Does anyone know where the amplifier is located? Does it have it's own fuse actually ON the system? All of my fuses are fine. I just can't figure this thing out. Please, someone help me!

Sounds like you've justbeen introduced to the dreaded Land Rover electronic gremlins.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your OEM radio is shot. You can take it to a dealer and hand them $1600.00 to replace it, or you can do like I did for my '02 last year- get a nice Kenwood for under $200.00 and install it yourself.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the info Riko. But, I have a question. When you changed the headunit, did you have to change anything else in the truck? Or, did the Harman Kardon amplifier and speakers work fine, with the Kenwood headunit? Because I've been hearing some horror stories about people changing out the headunit, with an aftermarket one, and it not working because of the Harman Kardon speaker/amp system. Because if it's just a matter of changing out the headunit, then I'll have that done this weekend and be through with it. But, I'm still questioning whether it's the headunit, and not the DSP amp. If the amp is bad, I know it will cause the speakers to malfunction. The radio works as it should.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Canderson76

Thanks for the info Riko. But, I have a question. When you changed the headunit, did you have to change anything else in the truck? Or, did the Harman Kardon amplifier and speakers work fine, with the Kenwood headunit? Because I've been hearing some horror stories about people changing out the headunit, with an aftermarket one, and it not working because of the Harman Kardon speaker/amp system. Because if it's just a matter of changing out the headunit, then I'll have that done this weekend and be through with it. But, I'm still questioning whether it's the headunit, and not the DSP amp. If the amp is bad, I know it will cause the speakers to malfunction. The radio works as it should.

Minor modifications to the OEM radio plug and it will work with the newradio. A car stereo shop can do this real easy, or you can do like me and buy from an outfit like Crutchfield and they will walk you thru the install.

Everything else works fine except the steering wheel paddles for the volume and mode and also the 6 disc CD changer won't work as they are married to the OEM radio.

But, to spend $1600.00 only to have the OEM radio crap out after 2 years vs $200.00 for an aftermarket unit seemed like a no brainer to me.

You would think that Land Rover would get their head out of their azz and put a realistic price on a replacementstereo and make some money vs making no money on an overpriced POS stereo.

If it's your amp, I can't help you there. But, from what I have heard, very few amps crap out on a Rover. They seem to be better built then the radio. Plus, the amp has an on/off sequence and the radio has a multitude of switches and relays that can fail.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:27 AM
4wd Low

Try http://www.roverville.us/