General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 Range Rover HSE

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 89 Range Rover HSE

I've following a 89 Range rover HSE on craigslist for a while. I finally purchased it today. It has a newer 4.6 in it with less than 5000 miles. Overall everything is in really good shape. On my way home after 40 minutes or so the battery late came on. I pulled over and when I came to a stop the engine stalled. The rpms stopped working too. It stalled several times while at idle or when I was about to give it gas. It feels sluggish all the sudden to. It has two batteries. I have no idea where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The guy is willing to take it back or pay for whatever is wrong with it. I really like the truck and would really like to keep it, but I really need to be able to drive it right now.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a faulty alternator or a loose battery, alternator, or ground connection. Charge the batteries with a charger, start it up and then check the voltage when it is running.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
Sounds like a faulty alternator or a loose battery, alternator, or ground connection. Charge the batteries with a charger, start it up and then check the voltage when it is running.
I checked the battery cables, they seemed fine. Would I really need to charge the battery if it's starting fine? Would a bad battery or alternator cause the rpms to stop showing?

Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bad alternator will cause the battery to drain. Since the fuel pump is electric the engine will die after the batteries have drained. I do not know why your rover is starting. However, your battery light is on, so doesn't it make sense that it is an alternator issue?

I would like to point out that when I replaced an alternator for a friend on their thunderbird, the car started right up where they abandoned it. The car drove home without any issues. And then It died literally right in my driveway, lucky me... The alternator was bad.

Batteries are very dynamic, and will work better in different temps. Sometimes when their power is exhausted suddenly the reaction taking place inside of them will recharge the battery a bit and give it a little extra juice to keep going after it has sat for awhile.

Get your alternator tested and report back.