General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 4.6 hse getting hot, cold blower, ac fans not working!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 4.6 hse getting hot, cold blower, ac fans not working!

Right here we go. Ill try to keep it consise....

Got a 95 4.6 hse. It was gotting hot really quick. It would go from idle all day fine but go from cold to red in about 3 miles when driving , but not actuallyoverheat, so was basically unusable. The previous owner said he had it compression tested and it was fine. I thought headgasket or slipped liner possibly. I purchased a head gasket gas test kit and although it said only do it for 2 mins, I did it for about 10 just to make 100 percent sure!! All was fine. I knew it would not narrow it down to slipped liner or head gasket, but just tell me ifgasses were in the system. But like i said it came up fine so i thought radiator, as water pump shoots out a big jet with hose off.So i bit the bullet and just picked up a big bill for a brand new rad and thermostat (all genuine landrover to make sure). Did afew runs and seemed fine.

Out today and I was going along at about 30mph and it got hot. The top hose had gone hard (aswell as hot) and the pipes in and out of the heater matrix were cold and the heater was blowing stone cold when on max. I left it to cool for an hour.I was down a lane so thought i'd get back to a main road so the rac could find me ok to get it home. So i drove it with the blower full on, but blowing cold for about a mile, and the guage started to creep to the next notch over half. I was just about to pull over to stop it getting hot and suddenly the blower went red hot and the guage dropped back to normal, and it drove home about 10 minutes absolutely fine???
I think the last owner put some k seal rubbish in it, when all it needed was a new rad and i think this gunk could be what has blocked the heater matrix as it was all over the old thermostat!

Took of the bleed hose tonight and bled it, and it idled fine for half an hour???

My main concerns are, 1 the top hose gets resonably firm still when up to temp, but not rock hard like it used to. How hard should it get under pressure?
2 Occasionaly there is a large drip from the middle of the car, up by the front door, but the rac man the other day told me this is the air con, but it just looks like rather a lot of water to me, but maybe i'm just worrying
3 my fans on the ac radiator dont cut in to aid with cooling??? I hot wired them and they work, but i guess the switch not tripping. I replaced the relays, still no good. Where is the temp switch so I can replace it? Or I could run a wire to them, but which way should they spin??

Any help would be much appresaited as meant to be taking her to the le mans 24hr in 2 weeks , arghhh!!!