General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 range rover LSE problems..

Old 02-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 range rover LSE problems..

My girlfriend just gave me 1995 range rover SE. She said the only problem is the transmission and a leak in the heater core. When i drove the vehicle on the freeway, the car runs fine except one time when i stop at a red light. when it was time for me to go, i step on the gas and the car will just revve for 2 seconds then go into gear..Do i need a new transmission or do i just need to change the transmission oil? My last question is does anybody know if a 2000 range rover tail light could fit my 95'range rover? It seem like it does but im not sure..Im new to this vehicle..

Old 02-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the tail lights for all P38 models are compatible. You may need to replenish your transmission fluid. I would have a fluid and filter flush done. And then at the next oil change do another transmission fluid flush. Make sure they use Dexron III ATF. You can get the filter and gasket kit at roverparts.com.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what LRScott said, also you will want to fix that heater core really soon if it is leaking. If your transmission is low it may either rev and then slam into gear as it builds pressuer or it will run take off like you are in 3rd gear. You may also want to check and change the fluid in your transfer case since that is the next step in the process. As a rule, I change all the fluids, hoses, plugs and wires whenever I buy a car. Look on Craigslist as well for a used tail light, there are plenty of Rovers being parted out.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Overlanding

thank you guys very much for these helpful information. how do i know if my car is a p38? and do i need to buy a new heater core if its just a leak?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Overlanding

My last question is what gasket kit do i need to buy?

Old 02-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Drifting

A lot of heater core issues are the "O" rings that connect the heater core to the piping--they leak onto the passenger side of the front floor, looking like the whole thing needs replacing. Make sure to pressure test it to make sure it is NOT leaking, or just replace both the O rings and the heater core.

As far as if your car is a P38? LOL... it is. P38 or P38A was the "code name" for the second generation Range Rover that debuted in 1995 (depending on what country you're in). There are only 3 Range Rovers-- "Classic", "P38", and "New Range Rover" or "L322". There's more to it, but simply put, that's what to call them.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure which gasket set you are talking about. If you mean the transmission you will be able to get everything you need from someone like Atlantic British. The gaskets for the tranny pan is rubber so if it is in good condition you may not need to replace it.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Overlanding

okay thanks again guys for these information

Old 02-20-2011, 02:26 PM
4wd Low

Its a P38 since the the year was divided in half. The first was the classic SWB and LWB ( county) and the the other half of the year was the P38 and P38A SE and HSE models representing mostly the engines 4.0 and 4.6 hope that helps.
Warren

Old 02-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Overlanding

yea it helped me out alot knowing if its a p38 or not. thankss

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 range rover LSE problems..