General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 RR with teething issues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:21 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 RR with teething issues...

Hi all,

Great forum, my first post, and am looking for some info.

The bottom line is that I am lookng to possibly buy a 97 Range Rover, It's in ace condition on the inside and out, however as per usual it has some issues to sort out, so here goes...

1: the 4.0 runs great, however it will not go into gear, the current owner says he was driving it with no issues and one day whilst going onto his driveway it simply refused to go in any gear either forwards or reverse.

As far as I am aware this could either be the transmission ecu or the transmission position switch (xyz) ? what do you guys think...

2: the fan motor for the heating / ac refuses to work, the owner says it works fine if you un plug it and then plug it back in , however it seems fubar'd to me, is there a thermal overload on the fan unit ? or am I better off just getting a new fan ..?

3: As a british guy living in Ottawa Canada, apart from roverland parts can anyone give me another source for parts...

Assuming it is not too bad a verdict I am thinking about buying this RR in the next few days...TTFN

John

Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time I have ever had a Rover transmission just stop on me was when I burned up the forward pump because I made a mistake on an engine swap. I would check the connections on the transmission and make sure they are connected but maybe not until you buy it. If it does not drive that should be a great bargaining tool. The good news is if you look around you can find the tranny for $400-$500 US. When you shift into gear does the selection change on the dash? That may help diagnose it.

The blower fan is one of those things that may come and go. Sometimes mine works great and others it does not. I am ready to buy a replacement from a breaker that gives a 6 month warranty, I can get them for $75 each.

There are some great places to get stuff, it all depends on what you are getting. Atlantic British is great for new maintenance and replacement parts that are new. Roverland Parts is great for used stuff but you should check out a few local wreckers and see what they can do, plus they are willing to deal a little more.

What are they asking for the Rover?