General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy a Rover any advice would be great

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy a Rover any advice would be great

Here is what I am looking at. What do you guys think... Looks like it may be sitting on the bump stop, or is that due to the fact its been sitting for awhile.. thanks any advice helps as I hope to be a owner of a rover soon.. Here is the link

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/2170818907.html

Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Price is high. Check out Kelly Blue Book and compare their price. All the past records are important. Any major oil leaks when it was parked? I noticed the temp gauges are not illuminating. Some may say if the previous owner let that go what else has not been addressed. Always have a mechanic you know check over the RR before you buy. Don't let them tell you "oh we have a mechanic right here or it has been checked over" You take it off the lot which should not be a problem and if they don't let you then you walk out and your search continues. This is just my advice but wait for the others to respond. They always have very sound advice on this forum. Welcome and the best of luck finding a Rover of your very own.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The price is high, but I've noticed that rover prices are going up... Mine is actually worth about 1k more than I bought it for. So much for depreciation. It looks like it is in descent shape given the miles. The EAS looks like it is set in crawl mode, so there may not actually be a problem with it. The easiest way to find out is to call and ask them, or take a look for yourself. I would be concerned about when the head gaskets were done. If they haven't been done, you should expect to do them shortly. As for the rest of the rig, just check the usual stuff like you would on any car. I noticed about 3 other P38 rovers in the background, so they obviously know the vehicles well. I've found that dealerships sometimes specialize with particular cars. One here locally does newer Discos and RRs quite frequently. If they act stupid with your questions, they might be hiding something. In either case, I would take it to a local rover shop and ask them to take a look at it for you.

Oh and either you bought it or someone else did... Have you checked their site?

Last edited by LRScott; 01-23-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 AM
4wd Low
Default Thanks guys

I had it check out and it had great service records. Only 2 owners on the RR.The price was a little high but was just the RR i have been looking for. White with dark gray interior and a 60 day warranty. So i drove it home last night 300 miles and all is well and every thing work great with one lil hick up, the heated seat on the drivers side is not working. ... Thanks for the advice guy

Old 01-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Pro Wrench

The heated seats in mine don't work either , its a common problem. If you want to fix it, here is the process: http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails.../seatheat.html

Old 01-24-2011, 08:48 AM
4wd Low
Default Seats

Thanks Scott..... The deal i bought my rover from informed me that in fact that is a common problem but would be nice to get it working...

Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Notice the Suspension level lights, as well as what you mentioned as sitting on the stops, even if it worked and then was left on the stops, that will hurt the bags if it was for an extended time,

You have to touch and look, check the bags for age, dry rot, see how the things lifts, have them leave it up all night with doors closed, check it before they open at 4 AM,

I would offer them $7,500.00 as is, or $9,000 if they gurantee the bags, brain and compressor for no less then 90 days.

There are far too many better priced ones on the market to accept BS and lies from someone like this who can't even have the thing sitting up on level three or four to take photos!

One of two scenarios:

1. This seller has no idea what this vehicle is, is brain dead about it
2. Or he is covering up what he knows and is trying to unload it to #1.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Congrats on your purchase, enjoy!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you bought it so enjoy.

If someone is looking for a decent deal there is a nice looking 96 where I am at for $1500 that has a little front damage from an accident. Needs a bumper and indicator lights and it would be good. I am sure it will need a bunch of other tings but if you could get it even a few hundred less it is worth it in parts. At least that is what I keep telling myself as to why I should go buy it.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Pro Wrench

Now you got me interested! lol. I just sold that crap Jag I had and ironically found another. This one is in far better shape and may end up replacing the Hyundai if it behaves itself. If I don't buy the Jag, maybe there will be another rangie in the drive.

Quick Reply: About to buy a Rover any advice would be great