General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after market amp install, sub woof wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after market amp install, sub woof wires

I have an 05 RR and just started installing 2 12" sony explodes in a box with a new 1000 watt Kenwood mono amp. I have everything hooked up except for the speaker imput wires. I found the wires that go to the rear door subs (brown and yellow on both sides of vehicle) but are they the ones I should use cause I cant find them in the rear drivers side panel. The new Kenwood amp says that the imput speaker wires can not have more than 40 watts on them or it will mess up the amp, so what i think i need are the 2 factory subwoofer wires before they get to the factory amp (front or rear doors ?). hopefully someone can help......

Old 05-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You'll see in the attached page from the RAVE, which might not be the exact one for your year and version of audio system; that the sub woofer for rear doors are indeed yellow and brown at the speaker. But while one set of wires makes it all the way back to the amp as that color, the other set changes color at the door connector, to blue and brown all the way to the amp. This is an example of how the Klingons heavily influenced the design....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rangeie sub woofer wire.pdf (45.9 KB, 199 views)
Old 05-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

ok here is a problem and a solution.

If you wire the subs into the existing subs, the existing subs will also act like a microphone and feed the new subs and you will wind up with BBBBBBBVVVVVVVVBVVVVVVVVVVVVBVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVBVVVVV VVVVVVVV at like 1000 dbs whenever anyone shuts a door. Go ahead and ask me how i know this =]. SO what you need to do is either unplug the factory subs AFTER the amp or put diodes inline AFTER the amp so the speaker cant backfeed into your new amplifier lines. Use the high in- on the new amp OR use a high to low converter and place it inside the stock sub box.