General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Ac is not blowing enough cool air to cool the car

Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Ac is not blowing enough cool air to cool the car

i recently bought a ranger rover 2001, 4.0, everything works okey except for the air condition.

when i switch the AC on, the compressor engage well, the raditor fans rotate and pipes become extremely cold. the air coming through the vents in the front is cool but the air pressure coming out is very very low even if a put it in high speed.

I checked on the fuse, they are okey, a checked on the air con gas its okey, the compressor is okey too now what could be the problem?
i have a open book symbol and a ! symbol in my Ac display.

I thought of the blend motors but im not sure of it because if i a can change from warm to cold , cold to warm, that means the blend motors are rotating well.

What I discoverd is that when i put the AC to high speed, the driver sides blower rotate in a loud noise than on the passgers sides and you can feel more air comiing out on the right hand vents than on the left (passegers side vents), could the passegers side blower has a fault? and could it be the reason that the AC is not blowing well?

the rear vents do not bring out air at all

please help me out cause im in a very hot country and im starting to dislike this car because of the AC.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you have a blower motor issue. I am dealing with mine right now and it is not fun. My right blower motor had not worked ever since I got it and the left side finally decided to die. I am not sure how many miles are on the car but if they just do not run then the brushes on the motors may be so worn down that they they may cannot keep speed. The bad news is that so far I have not been able to find anyone to repair the motor ir even buy the correct brushes for the motors. While I continue my search for replacement brushes here is what I did. If you pull out the blower motors (passenger side is much easier than the drivers side) then remove the motor from the housing and rotate the brushes 180 degrees so now they will contact the motor properly and the motors run just fine at speed and work great. You may still have an issue with blend motors but if they are changing locations just fine as well then you should be good.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

You sir, have a burned up fusebox.

You can bypass the fusebox and wire auxillary power relays into the harness next to the fusebox.

Your fans only spin slowly due to lack of current.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah I am not sure if direct wiring it will do anything for him. Even if he did and the brushes are gone it will not receive the electricity to run even direct wired or using another relay. The loud noise is probably the brush making contact with the copper segmented housing at the base of the motor.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:07 AM
4th Gear

thanks for the infomation.

well, i looked again at the fuse box, look on the relay 7 and 6, they are perfect. no sign of burnt relay or terminal or anything in all parts of the fusebox. everthing is okey there.

maybe the blower motor brushes are worn out.i will have to remove the passegers side blower to see whats wrong with it.

may all this could be the blend motors but how? (for my experience, when the blend motors fail, you will only get either cool air only or hot air only coz the blend can not change the position, but for this case of mine i dont know coz i can change the position well, hot- cool, cool to hot)i realy dont want to remove the dash board so as to reach these blend motors to find out.its really a long job and im affraid of raising other electric problems as the place i am there are no good landrover mechanic to do the job., i will just have to continue with it as it is or even sale it.

could there be another fuse or wire maybe i can look on?
one last qn, when the compressor engage,how long does it take to disengage? coz when i push the AC, i can hear the compressor rotating, but it only take about 5 to 10 seconds, then it stop, then after same seconds again it continue to the same seconds as the first rotation and stop and so on. is it normal? coz i have a toyota amazon, its compressor take more the 30 seconds to disengage.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The compressor on mine only runs about 15 seconds and then shuts off. You can never really turn it off though since it is always trying to either cool or remove humidity when warming. Even if the blower motors are not working you can tell if the blend motors are working by changing the location vents. If you are driving it you should still be able to feel some heat or cool air when driving on the freeway if the blower motors do not work although it will be very minimal.

Remove the passenger side blower motor, it is fairly easy to remove and do the brash flip that I mentioned. Then before putting it back in hook the wires back up and turn on the system. You will be able to tell if it will work right away. I am willing to bet when you flip the brushes you will see how worn they are. Try this and let us know what happens.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:08 AM
4th Gear

thanks, i will have a look on, im on a trip, so maybe on friday i will give you the results. thanks for the support.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the support.

I managed to go to the land rover dealer last week, he removed the passenger side blower just by surprise, when we connected it directly, and it worked perfectly. So we checked on the wires and discovered that there is some missing current in one of the wires connecting to the blower. (We opened the hood, looked on everything thing from wires, fuse to relays and the relay box itself, it was perfect) the wire which was missing current was the possible reason as to why the motors couldn’t work.

We checked on that particular wire but we didn’t have a clue of were could be the problem. Because the wire was okay all the way. So what we did we took another wire and connect it with the driver’s side blower motor wire (the one which is similar to the one which doesn’t have current at the passenger side). After connecting the blower started to rotate (both) and everything worked out okay. The AC display unit didn’t show the open book symbol again and the AC worked out perfect, plenty of cool air. At least the problem is solved but I still wonder as to why that particular wire didn’t have current while all other wires were okay. Well what the mechanic told me is that, there is a big possibility that the AC control unit itself has an inside problem, may it only send the signal? current to the drivers side blower and not the passengers side blower (so possibly the wire missing current could have a problem at the starting point of the AC unit. however as long as it works know I still have one question, how long will it run that way? lets find out.

When one problem is done, always there is another problem coming in. after completing my AC, I thought about changing my car battery. So I did do that, and the mechanic had to put on his computer to set all programs. Everything went perfect but on the radio. We couldn’t do anything. I really thought I had the radio code, but bad enough the first owner of the vehicle didn’t attach the radio security codes in the manuals. Know I don’t have those codes, how can I go about in order my radio to work again? Will I have to install a new radio? Help me out