General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR SUSPENSION vs COILS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR SUSPENSION vs COILS

Hi,

I recently purchased an 2005 Range Rover HSE with 88,000 miles on it. I have not owned the car for longer than 2 weeks and already my suspension went out. My mechanic told me that I would need a new Air shock + Air distribution tank with valves. Total price = $1,600 (just parts). I'm certain that once this is repaired I will keep having more suspension problems with this truck. I think I will buy a coil conversion kit, and remove the air suspension for good. But I just want to know if anyone on this board has converted to coil springs, and if so how does it ride?

thanks

Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will ride like a Ford Explorer... You may just need new air shocks. They are starting to go out on ones within your year and mileage range. Once the problem is fixed, you usually do not have anymore problems until you go another 80 to 100k miles.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CL500,
I have an 02 P38 and I noticed that the front air suspension bags were cracking. I changed them before any problems occurred and now it runs/works like new. This problem was noticed at 77k so it sounds like every 80k its something that needs a little TLC. In reading all the comments made before on switching to coils it will ride ok, but not as engineers intended for us to enjoy the true Range Rover ride of riding on air. Hope this helps.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Do a search on here and you will find many threads on this topic. It seems that most people who have switched wish they still had air springs. If you want your truck to ride like a Rover fix it right. If you don't mind it riding like a Mac truck than go with springs. If you are even a little mechanical this is a pretty easy DIY and you will save a lot of money.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Mudding

If you want a Ford ride then switch to coils. If you want the Range Rover ride which is a huge reason of owning the SUV replace the air suspension. My 2002 which has 60,000 miles has the original air suspension. I will replace my bags at the first sign of trouble as well that way it won't cost as much.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

I replaced the front air springs on my 03' a couple of month's ago with a set of aftermarket units from Arnott Industries in Florida. They cost me $300 each and included a decent set of instructions. Replacement was pretty straight forward. Let me know if you need any additional info.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 AM
4wd Low

once you made the change from air to coil what was the difference as far as the ride is concerned?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 AM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Air vs. Coils...the age old question and might I add- hotly contested debate.

Purists tend to favor the EAS, and for good reason. Rovers' EAS will offer a ride quality far superior to any you'll find in a Ford, Chevy, or other imposter. The EAS is also superior off-road .... which I'm sure anyone here can attest to...

Originally Posted by gsd2004
My 2002 which has 60,000 miles has the original air suspension. I will replace my bags at the first sign of trouble as well that way it won't cost as much.
Frequent checks on your system are very helpful in reducing big costs. Unfortunately, air bags represent one of many potential failures that can frequently occur in EAS systems....

Height sensors, valve blocks, air compressors have all been known to fail and can become quite expensive to repair...

Coil Springs serve as a cost-effective alternative to the potential costs that one can incur from chronic EAS failure.

The EAS system, when working, is phenomenal. Individual experiences with the system vary- some dump thousands into fixing it, some enjoy very few issues at all. There isn't really a right or wrong choice- just depends what you value most.

General feedback I've heard around P38 coil conversions did not report a drastic difference in ride quality, but not every driver is as sensitive to such things...

Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 AM
4wd Low

OK...I just placed an order from "British Atlantic" for a conversion kit. It also comes with a module so I wont get any error messages (inactive air suspension).
Range Rover Suspension Parts & Steering Parts: Basic Air Suspension To Coil Spring Kit

I just want to sleep sound at night and do not want to deal with any more EAS issues for the rest of my life. I should have the kit installed hopefully by Saturday. Honestly I dont care if the vehicle raises or lowers just as long as the ride is smooth ... So I will make sure that I post a review and let you guys know how it went!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Mudding

While I agree with Atlantic British, I think doing a conversion lowers the resale value of the Rover, or could make it harder to sell. I know I would not purchase one used with coils. But if you don't care about resale, and want to avoid future large repairs than I guess you have no choice but to put the coils on.

Quick Reply: AIR SUSPENSION vs COILS