General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advise on how to reset the suspention?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advise on how to reset the suspention?

Hi guys. Im brand new to the world of Range Rover enthusiasts. I purchased my 98 hse at auction last friday and have been trying to get it off the ground... literally... ever sinse. The air system pump works and it looks like there are alot of new parts already installed ... very clean .... but I cant seem to get it to even try and lift off the bump stops. I found an air leak at the block and replaced the o-rings I found there. with that stopped and no other apparent leaks I had hoped that it would work but no dice. I thought about resetting the computer but it sounds like that requires a trip to the dealership which I am vehemently apposed to. Any suggestions on how I can reset the system on my own? Thanks Jb

Old 02-11-2011, 03:15 AM
4wd Low

Have the RR on. Park it in neutral. Turn steering wheel all the way to left then right. LMK

Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Rock Crawling

There could be any number of reasons for this to happen. It sounds like you have checked for leaks. Does the compressor run for a while at start up and then shut off? If it shuts off that means that it reached the proper pressure which is a good thing. If it keeps on running that means you still have a leak somewhere. When I got my Rover the first thing I did was replace the bags, lines, o-rings and rebuilt the compressor. It is possible that your Rover thinks that one of the doors is open which deactivates the EAS. How about the switch on the dash make sure that it is not set to "Access" mode and that the override switch is not activated. If all else fails you can get a cable that hooks to your laptop and you can override the system using some special software. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Drifting
Default thanks guys.

Thanks for the reply Ill try it. Also the compressor does run continually so I will do some more checking for leaks. I also went online and purchased one of the computer reset gadgets from RSW and Im hoping that wil help me diagnose what is actually going on. I really need this vehichle to be reliable so I have considered changing out the air ride system to a spring suspention. However, I do tow alot and someone told me that I should stay with the airbag suspention if I do that... Do you have any advice for me?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay with the air bags, they are great. The suspension is not all that complicated and it rides better than springs. Do you have a fault message on the dash? What do the suspension lights look like, are they all lit up or just one. Check the doors like Krazz said and make sure there are no door messages showing. Plus, the vehicle must be running to raise the suspension but I am assuming you already caught that.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Keep the air bags! If your compressor doesn't shut off you definitely have a leak. Get a spray bottle with some soapy water and spray every inch of the system. It should be obvious when you find the leak. My compressor only runs for about a minute when I start it up.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Drifting

Cool, Ok Ill stick with the bags and try to figure out the system. Its actually really fun trying to peice this back together and I am enjoying the project with only minor frustration at not being able to drive it yet. There are a bunch of error messeges that come on from the window adjar (drivers side door window needs a little tweaking) and the bonnet not being closed, (thats a new one that Ive only seen once) and the suspention system fault. All four lights lights do come on when I start it up. I didnt get an owners manual with it so Im not sure what settings are correct, Ive played around with it a bit and assumed that I should have the manual button pushed in on the right of the four light array? Also ill pay more attention to exactly which messege comes up tomorrow when I start it up. I installed a used sunroof from a 95 and Im not sure that is communicating correctly either as kind of have to guesse when its actually closed all the way as it wants to cycle right into the vent position but at least it works. Im planning on installing the new head liner tomorrow and then Im going to have the interior professionally cleaned on Wed, (its really in great shape just dirty) I have the new tires stacked in the garage ready to go on as soon as I can drive it. I have the new o2 sensors in to be hooked up tomorrow (the wires were cut so I had to figure out the order) and im slowly working out the bugs that I can while waiting on the computer reset tool. My next step on the suspention is just what krazzz said which is to empty one of my spray bottles,fill it with soapy water and install it on the truck as standard diagnostic equipment. As far as tracking the air leaks would you suggest taking the tires off for the diagnostic or just jacking it up and getting under while up on blocks? I know it has to be running so was just wondering what you guys found most effective. Thanks. JB

Old 02-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Rock Crawling

I think you have a leak but also the error messages might not help. Make sure the doors, hood and trunk are shut and no error messages. You shouldn't need to remove the wheels but jacking it up will help. I would start by pulling off the cover over the compressor and follow the air lines from there. The air lines go into the tops of the air bags and this is a common area to leak. You should be able to find the leak in 10 to 15 min. How do the bags look? Are they weather checked?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 AM
4wd Low

After applying the soapy water... finding some bubbles. Get the bike tire repair kit. Apply glue and patch. Work good.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by islandrangie
After applying the soapy water... finding some bubbles. Get the bike tire repair kit. Apply glue and patch. Work good.
That may get you up and running but do yourself a favor and order the proper part and fix it right.

Quick Reply: Any advise on how to reset the suspention?